Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Koobface worm infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#16 SweetTech

SweetTech

MalwareTeam Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:36 PM

STEP 1.
Time for some housekeeping
From your Desktop please delete the following things:
  • Any notepad/logs that we created
  • DDS.scr
  • GMER.zip from wherever you downloaded the file to.
  • GMER.exe from where you extracted it.
  • You may also remove ESET Online Scan via your Add/Remove Programs.
Then:
The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:
Posted Image
Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

=======> Make sure you've re-enabled any Security Programs that we may have disabled during the malware removal process. <=======

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.
  • It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
    Strong passwords: How to create and use them
    then consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe.
  • Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
  • SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them.
  • SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts. Make sure you are only running one real-time anti-spyware protection program ( eg : TeaTimer, Windows Defender ) or there will be a conflict.
  • Make Internet Explorer more secure
    • Click Start > Run
    • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
    • Click on the Security tab
    • Click Reset all zones to default level
    • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
    • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
    • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.
  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
    WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE
  • Please consider using an alternate browser. Mozilla's Firefox browser is fantastic; it is much more
    secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also has the best built-in pop up
    blocker (as an added benefit!) that I have ever seen. If you are interested, Firefox may be downloaded from Here
    • If you choose to use Firefox, I highly recommend this add-on to keep your PC even more secure.
      • NoScript - for blocking ads and other potential website attacks
  • Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.
  • In light of your recent issue, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please take a look at these well written articles:
    Think Prevention.
    PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?.
**Be very wary with any security software that is advertised in popups or in other ways. They are not only usually of no use, but often have malware in them.

Thank you for your patience, and performing all of the procedures requested.

Please respond one last time so we can consider the thread resolved and close it, thank-you.

Posted Image

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom

Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 teebee17

teebee17

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:51 PM

OK, I've taken care of all the clean-up tasks you've given me. I already use Firefox exclusively for browsing. I appreciate all your help. Hopefully, you won't here from me again any time soon. ;) Thanks again.

#18 SweetTech

SweetTech

MalwareTeam Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

You are very welcome :) SweetTech.

Posted Image

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom

Posted Image

#19 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.