Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Why would certain blogs "freeze up" my computer>

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

Do you have the latest driver for your video card/chipset?

What is the make and model number of your computer?

Edit: Also, you could try updating to Internet Explorer 7. It worked well for me on my old HP 750C system where IE8 would not run well at all.

It would also be worth trying a different browser, like Firefox, Opera or even Google Chrome just to see if the problem occurs there as well.

Edited by Ztruker, 26 October 2009 - 12:53 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

I would have to say "no" on the latest driver as I don't even know what you are talking about, lol! My computer is a Dell 4700 that is about 4 1/2 years old. I just recently had someone come in and "clean it up" for some other issues I was having, but this problem started well after that. So which do you think I should try first...updating to IE 7 or trying a different browser...sad to say I am a creature of habit and hate change...I have had others suggest a different browser, but I am afraid that I won't like it, but I suppose I could just uninstall if that is the case.

#18 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

I would try updating the video driver first. All the drivers for your Dell 4700 are here: Drivers & Downloads for Dimension 4700

The last one is for Video. Expand that and you'll see quite a selection of downloads, so we need to know exactly what your video is. To see this, click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. Expand Display Adapter and post the info here please.

It may be that you already have the latest driver, but it would be good to try this and see if it helps.

Rich

#19 tdodd00

tdodd00

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

This is what it said: Inte(lR) 82915G/GV/910GLExpress Chipset Family

#20 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

You want the 8th one down when you expand the Video section. It's an exact match for you video chipset.

Inte(lR) 82915G/GV/910GLExpress Chipset Family (dated 7-31-2006 so it may or may not be newer).

Click the Download button, then Download via your Browser button.
Save it to your hard drive in a place you can find it, then use Windows Explorer or My Computer to navigate there and double click on R126541.EXE. That will start the install. Follow directions.

Post back if you have any questions.

Rich