This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Tried Much Without Luck

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

My homepage is continually hijacked. I have the current Windows Updates, have run AdAware and Spybot, as well as CWShredder. CWSHredder finds cws.searchx, but it seems to "come back" whenever the browser is reopened. I've also run a few virus scans (Panda Active Scan) and come up with nothing.


Here's my current log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:37:34 AM, on 6/20/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\Firewall\PavFires.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panda Software\PavShld\pavprsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\pavsrv51.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\AVENGINE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\apvxdwin.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\SRVLOAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\program files\support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\SBC\Connection Manager\CManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\WebProxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\BROADJ~1\CORREC~1\CCD.exe
C:\Studio\Virus Stuff\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B147403E-C2D7-4C74-A6B9-B8E29AD75884} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\jmbmaa.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SCANINICIO] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\Inicio.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APVXDWIN] "C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Platinum Internet Security\APVXDWIN.EXE" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmdprovidersbc] "c:\program files\support.com\bin\tgcmd.exe" /server /startmonitor /deaf /nosystray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WINT] C:\WINDOWS\System32\wcpsvit.exe
O4 - Startup: Connection Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\SBC\Connection Manager\CManager.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Shortcut to DSL Connection.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004033…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {9600F64D-755F-11D4-A47F-0001023E6D5A} (Shutterfly Picture Upload Plugin) - http://web1.shutterfly.com/downloads/Uploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {A17E30C4-A9BA-11D4-8673-60DB54C10000} (YahooYMailTo Class) - http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/ymail/ymmapi.dll
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa…ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{9F2B50AE-EFAC-4D70-8568-D5E453031F6F}: NameServer = 206.13.30.12 64.164.99.51

I've gone through a few times now and taken out all the R1 and R0 deals that shouldn't be there, but again they pop-up next time I open the browser. Can you guys help out here? Obviously there is something I am missing! Thanks for your help.

Cheers.
Jim
Spybot - Ad-aware and APM need to be run after the hijackthis fix below - BUT before any rebooting of the computer takes place.
=================
Please download and setup spybot S&D and ad-aware - instructions for running are on this site - please use the settings mentioned.
http://www.cjwd.demon.co.uk/spybot-adaware.html
Please update them ready for the step at the end - but leave running (scanning) till then.

Download and install APM from: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=apm
=================
Close all windows except HijackThis and fix the lines below.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = file://C:\DOCUME~1\BITCHM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B147403E-C2D7-4C74-A6B9-B8E29AD75884} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\jmbmaa.dll
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WINT] C:\WINDOWS\System32\wcpsvit.exe

Exit hijackthis

Start APM

In the upper window select explorer.exe
In the lower window find and rightclick the BHO from the HijackThis log
(C:\WINDOWS\System32\jmbmaa.dll)
Select Unload DLL and click OK on the prompts that follow.

Reboot and scan with AdAware to remove the txt and html protocol association.
Reboot and scan with Spybot S&D

Please post back with a new hijackthis log when done.
This will only have removed the very bad stuff - we will finish cleaning after that has worked.
Hi Chris, Thanks for your response. I'm sorry, but as I had not heard back from anyone for a while, I tried a few things and reposted a newer log. Daemon has suggested posting a log from FindnFix.exe (2K/XP only!) , so I did. Does this sound like a good way to go? Please let me know if you think I should follow through with your suggestion as well. I know you guys are ultra-busy, so I certainly don't want to take up both of your time! Thanks again–much appreciated! James
Stick to one thread until your problem is resolved - only one type of fix should be attempted at any one time. I am closing this topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI