Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

window police pro - caused blue screen -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 robe414

robe414

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:10 PM

oh it also says cannot find win.com, unable to continue loading windows.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 noahdfear

noahdfear

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • MVP

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

OK, why is it trying to boot Windows 98? Two hard drives? That would explain why your operating system is on D: in Hiren's. You need to go back into the BIOS. You should find in there a list of attached hard drives. My guess is that there are 2, with HDD0 being Windows 98 and HDD1 being XP. Set the boot order to CD-ROM as first, HDD1 as 2nd, floppy as 3rd and Other boot devices as 4th, if available options.
Dave

#18 robe414

robe414

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

when i select boot from hard drive, i get the menu from before asking me to choose safe mode or last known settings or normal and no matter which one i choose it goes back to that blue screen again.

#19 noahdfear

noahdfear

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • MVP

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

Please describe what you found in the BIOS with regards to hard drives. Please give me the complete error (stop error?) you receive at the blue screen. Safe to assume this is the same blue screen you had when first starting this topic, indicating that you are booting the correct operating system?
Dave

#20 robe414

robe414

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:55 PM

i think i know what happened. all the steps i did before where in the wrong drive. the d drive is the windows 98 drive, the c drive has xp. so i did all the steps again. attached is the dds file for the xp drive. can i download the same fix file or will you need to link me another one based on this dds file?

#21 noahdfear

noahdfear

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • MVP

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

Are you absolutely positive that C: is XP and D: is Win 98? I don't think so, based on the files, filepaths, and registry information listed in the D: drive. Please run the dds-bootcd.exe located in D: again and post the log produced.
Dave

#22 robe414

robe414

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

no not 100% sure. here is the dds from d drive that i just ran again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  DDS.txt   17.71KB   421 downloads

#23 noahdfear

noahdfear

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • MVP

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

Before we do anything else, please restart the computer. After selecting Boot from hard drive, begin tapping the F8 function key to enable the Advanced Start Menu. Select Safe Mode and let me know if it loads fully to your user account. If not, I need to know what stop error message you get on any blue screen.
Dave

#24 robe414

robe414

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

here is what setup says about my drives drive 0: SATA-0, controller = serial ATA, port = SATA-0, details: ID ST380013AS, capacity 80 gb,bios this dirve controlled by system bios drive 1 : SATA-1, controller serial ata, port SATA2, no details drive 2: PATA-0, controller = parallel ATA, port = Pata-0 (PRI IDE master), drive details: ID: Philips DVD+/-RW DVD8631 drive 3 PATA-1, controller = parallel ATA, port PATA-1 (PRI IDE slave), drive details: ID = maxtor 6L040J2,capacity 34 GB, bios = this drive controlled by system bios

#25 noahdfear

noahdfear

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • MVP

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

Thanks! Please see my last post.
Dave

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 robe414

robe414

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

after selecting safe mode, it does what it did before, it asks to select OS, the only choice is xp home edition, lists a bunch of ...system 32\driver... lines the goes to blue page that says" a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer. page_fault_in_nopaged_area... technical information: stop:0x00000050 (0xc4b40e44, 0x00000001, 0x80537009, 0x00000000)

#27 robe414

robe414

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

Dave, maybe we can pick this up again tomorrow. i really do appreciate the help.

#28 noahdfear

noahdfear

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • MVP

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:45 PM

I'm on the road tomorrow evening. May not have opportunity to post anything till Sunday night, but will try to post some things for you to do before I head out tomorrow.
Dave

#29 noahdfear

noahdfear

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • MVP

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:49 PM

That blue screen stop error often indicates a hardware problem, so I'd like to run a couple of tests to make sure we aren't spinning our wheels trying to fix the operating system first.

Start the computer with the bootcd and select Windows Memory Diagnostics.
Once the test has loaded it will begin running automatically.
Press the T key once to change the testing mode to Run extended tests (indicated by 11 tests).
Each of the 11 tests will take a bit of time and when all are completed it will ru them again.
If completed without errors, please allow it to run through no less than 10 passes - the more you do the better.
Press the X key to exit and restart the computer.
Let me know the results.

When the computer restarts, load MiniXP.
Double click the Command prompt icon on the desktop then type the following command and hit enter.

chkdsk d: /r

Do nothing else until the scan completes.
Once completed, close the command window.

Click Start>Programs>Windows Explorer and expand then select D:\Windows
Look for the file ntbtlog.txt and delete it if present.

Next, open the Hiren's BootCD WinTools and click Menu>Other>Registry Editor PE
When it loads, expand and select the D:\Windows folder in the Browse dialog that opens, then click OK.
Next you will be presented with a series of 4 Select file dialogs inwhich you need only click Open.
Next you will be asked if you want to open a User hive - click Yes.
Browse to D:\Documents and Settings and open your user name folder.
You should see a file named ntuser.dat and it should be preselected in the Filename area below.
Click Open.
Click No at the next dialog to open another user hive.
Once the hives are loaded, you will get a message box confirming they are loaded and the relative paths in the Registry Editor.
Please make note of the HKEY_USERS path and tell me that exact path, eg; HKEY_USERS\_REMOTE_DAVE
Click OK then minimize the Registry Editor to the taskbar when it opens.

Connect the network, then using the Opera browser, come back to this post and copy the following bolded command to text.

reg query HKLM\_REMOTE_SYSTEM\Select>"%userprofile%\desktop\log.txt"

Open the Command prompt window again then right click>Paste the command into the command window.
When complete, close the command window and open the log.txt file on the desktop.
Post it's contents in a reply here along with the exact path to the user hive as previously noted.
Close the Registry Editor and wait for a 'All Finished' message.
Close the Opera Browser then restart the computer.

Upon restart, select Boot the hard drive, then begin tapping the F8 key to enable the Advanced Start Menu.
Select Enable Boot Logging from the menu.
When the computer blue screens, restart and go back to MiniXP.
Open Windows Explorer and locate the newly created D:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt file then post it's contents here.
Dave

#30 robe414

robe414

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

no errors during the 11 test diagnostic. i ran 12 passes. here is what the log.txt file says: ! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\_REMOTE_SYSTEM\Select Current REG_DWORD 0x3 Default REG_DWORD 0x3 Failed REG_DWORD 0x2 LastKnownGood REG_DWORD 0x4 path to user hive is: hkey_users\_remote_respasa