Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

My internet works .... apart from bbc.co.uk

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:00 PM

Silly question, as it may appear, but do you have any trouble accessing microsoft.com, or mcafee.com?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 vista?

vista?

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

Both of those sites load fine. In response to your previous post, I don't have any of the items listed installed apart from the firewall which is integrated into ESET Smart Security v4 which I have, I disabled the firewall module but still no Beeb. :( :( Edit: Clearly I can't access the Beeb but I can ping them but out of curiosity, could a firewall potentially block a ping if I felt like blocking pings (not that I would want to)

Edited by vista?, 21 October 2009 - 01:19 PM.

#18 vista?

vista?

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

EDIT: The Beeb now works yet I have no idea why it's suddenly working now. Coincidentally, there was a power outage in the house today although I highly suspect that a power outage has nothing to do with the BBC site now working.

#19 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:49 AM

That's good. Unfortunately, I can't say why you were having problems either. My only other suspect would be malware, or Eset. An uninstall of Eset temporarily may be needed if you have the problem again. That's about the only thing else it could be. To answer your other question, yes, a firewall can block any kind of network traffic based on a set of programmed rules.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.