Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

My internet works .... apart from bbc.co.uk

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 vista?

vista?

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

Hi all, For at least a week now, I haven't been able to access the bbc website anymore including sub-domains such as news.bbc.co.uk. I can ping bbc.co.uk with 0%loss yet when I load the webpage with any one of the three browsers I use, it doesn't work. All I get is a blank page. Oddly, since my router is wireless, I can connect to the BBC site from my Nintendo DS via wifi. :thumbup: All I get is an instant blank white page when I (try to) load BBC.co.uk BTW: I use opendns and I use HOST file filtering. Help appreciated, Thanks,

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

The easy possibility is to flush your domain name resolver cache file Start - Run - (type)cmd - Enter At the blinking cursor (type) ipconfig /flushdns - enter If you have MVPS Hosts file, you may have turned off your DNS Service. The above procedure will require you to re-start your DNS Service. Let us know if this is required. The longer more tedious possibility is that your Hosts file may contain items that block bbc.co.uk If so, you'll have to manually sort through and remove them. Let us know your progress/results with the above. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 vista?

vista?

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hi, I've reset my HOSTS file to just the default entry and flushed my DNS revolver but I still can't load BBC :(

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

About a week ago, another Member had the same issue.

Unhappily, that problem has not been resolved, but you may benefit from some of the suggestion in the Topic Thread
http://forums.whatth...n....html&st=15

I still think the matter is resident at the user's subscribed ISP
You may benefit from contacting your ISP.
They will "probably" tell you it has nothing to do with their servers.
But then a few days later you may find that the access has "somehow" become resolved.

Other's may have better information and recommendations.
Please post your solution, if/when you achieve it.

Best Regards

#5 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:13 PM

You may also benefit from clearing your JAVA Cache. (note: when you clear JAVA cache files, you will have to enter user-name and passwords on the various websites you visit, the first time you return. after the first time, you will be remembered if you have passwords store automatically)

#6 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

When you ping bbc.co.uk, please tell me what IP address comes back...

For instance, mine looks like this:

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=126ms TTL=115
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=125ms TTL=115

The IP address is in bold..

Also, what are the round trip times listed in milliseconds?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:51 AM

Hi appleoddity, I have just pinged the BBC from my location which is about 20 miles outside London, England. As this is close to Vista?'s stated location the figures that I have just obtained may be helpful for comparison purposes for when Vista? posts back with their own figures. These are my own figures from a customer's machine I'm working on at the moment! Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002] Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\Main User>ping bbc.co.uk Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=116 Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=116 Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=116 Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=116 Ping statistics for 212.58.224.138: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 30ms C:\Users\Main User> These figures are on a relatively slow Broadband connection via a wireless router with WPA 2 encryption......the speed of my connection will not exceed as an absolute max 2.3Mbps and usually averages 1 to 1.2 Mbps (due to the old copper wire and the distance I am from the local exchange)......no fibre optics in my village! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 vista?

vista?

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

Before I contact my ISP which I may do although this will take time since I'm not the registered account holder, (that's my dad), I would like to point out that I can access the Beeb via wifi on my DS which uses the same router that my PC does. I also deleted my Java cache with CCleaner but I still can't access the website. As for the ping: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] © Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\Aziz>ping www.bbc.co.uk Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.253.68] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 212.58.253.68: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=118 Reply from 212.58.253.68: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=118 Reply from 212.58.253.68: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=118 Reply from 212.58.253.68: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=118 Ping statistics for 212.58.253.68: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 31ms ________________________ (6.5Mb @ TalkTalk)

Edited by vista?, 19 October 2009 - 08:01 AM.

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hi Vista? So that appleoddity has the information he needs, please ping the BBC again and report back the output the command you need to use is: ping bbc.co.uk ( there is no need to try and ping www....etc) Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#10 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

Its apparent you are receiving a different IP address than Paws and I. I am replying from my phone so I can't verify if your IP is valid or not.

For now, click this: Http://212.58.224.138

does BBC load?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

Sorry. I see the difference. You added www to your URL. Ignore my last message. I'll get back to you on this.

#12 vista?

vista?

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

Sorry about the URL problem, here is the new ping report: -- Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] © Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\Aziz>ping bbc.co.uk Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=118 Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=118 Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=118 Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=118 Ping statistics for 212.58.224.138: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 30ms ---

#13 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

Actually.. By using www you did it properly. I forgot that many times you have to add www because the web server the site uses is a different IP address than the one that responds if you don't put www in front of the domain.

I went ahead and ping'd www.bbc.co.uk and I received a different IP address than you, but accessing both IP addresses directly both bring up the BBC website. So, there is no problem with DNS which was what I thought might be a problem, at least at this stage.

I'm still concerned that something funky with OpenDNS or your HOSTS file is causing problems.

For now, I would suggest that you rename your HOSTS file to HOSTS.bak and change your DNS settings back to automatic for now. Restart your computer.

Then try loading the site.

Earlier you stated you went back to a default HOSTS file, so I just want to make sure that is still true and you also try changing your DNS settings to default and restart your computer just to make sure.

I would also like you to try opening Internet Explorer with no add-ons and then access BBC. To do so, click start -> run, type iexplore -extoff and press ENTER. Now, type in the www.bbc.co.uk address in the address bar and see if it will come up.

#14 vista?

vista?

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

I am now using my ISP's DNS servers as instructed and my HOSTS file is as follows:

# This MVPS HOSTS file is a free download from:			#
# http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/						 #
#														  #
# Notes: the browser does not read this "#" symbol		 #
# You can create your own notes, after the # symbol		#
# This *must* be the first line: 127.0.0.1	 localhost   #
# *********************************************************#
# ---------------- Updated: Oct-08-2009 -------------------#
# *********************************************************#
#														  #
# Entries with comments are all searchable via Google.	 #
#														  #
# Disclaimer: this file is free to use for personal use	#
# only. Furthermore it is NOT permitted to copy any of the #
# contents or host on any other site without permission or #
# meeting the full criteria of the below license terms.	#
#														  #
# This work is licensed under the Creative Commons		 #
# Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License.			#
# http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/		#

127.0.0.1	localhost

Yet still no Beeb, I've restarted both the PC and the router. :( Doesn't work with IE in disabled addons mode either. :(

Here's how the page is loaded:
Posted Image

Edited by vista?, 20 October 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#15 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hello again, Vista? From your Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet options - Security(tab) Select - Restricted Sites <-- be sure that 212.58.253.68 and/or www.bbc.co.uk are "not" listed in Restricted Sites hmmm. Never mind. BBC seems to get an approved pass for content, even when listed in my Restricted Sites. ________________ How about considering the various third-party security related softwares you may have installed. examples: **Firewall Blocking programs such as: **SpywareGuard **SpywareBlaster **Spybot Search & Destroy **StopZilla