This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Wireless network is messed up!

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Out of the blue my wireless internet was disabled and when I tried to connect to a network, I don't see my network but I can see all the other networks my neighbors have, The internet is fine when I just plug in the cord from the wall to the laptop, but I really want to have my wireless to work. Any help would be appreciated thanks p.s. I have a compaq presario CQ60-420US my isp is at&t, my router is a 2wire 3800HGV-B
Hi, Sorry to hear of the Internet problem Here's what I suggest you do: please go to: Start>Control Panel>Network Connections….your Wireless LAN should be shown/set to "connected" or "enabled" (Generally you should only have one enabled connection , but for this you can ignore the 1394 (Firewire) connection as this does not interfere with things.) Right click on this Wireless (Lan) connection Click on Properties Scroll to Internet Protocol TCP/IP and highlight it and click on Properties ensure that there is a dot in the radio buttons labelled: obtain an IP address auto….. and obtain DNS server address auto…… Click OK Still in Control Panel go to: Internet Options Click on the Connections Tab ensure there is a dot in the radio button "Never dial a connection" OK your way out. Now power cycle your router….. here's how: 1. Shut down your computer 2 Unplug your power cable from your router 3 Keep them unplugged for about 3 or 4 minutes, this will clear out the junk and let them reset themselves. 4. Plug the power to your router back in and wait until all the lights come on. 5. Boot up your system and check your internet connection. Next Try your Internet connection for a short test with your software firewall and your anti virus turned off (don't forget to turn it on when you have done. and don't do anything like downloading emails with your AV off!) If you now have Internet then………. rejoice…….. if not post back and we will advise the next steps Regards paws
Does your wireless show up in Device Manager (Start / Run type devmgmt.msc and press Enter)? If there a yellow or red mark next to it? In any case, if it shows there, right click on it and select Uninstall, then shutdown and reboot. XP will rediscover the card, reload and the drivers. See if that helps.
Hi, This is getting confusing…..
you said

I don't see my network but I can see all the other networks my neighbors have,


If you can see your neighbours networks then somehow your network adapter( wireless) must be working…. check the network connections again……do you still see your neighbours, if you do then maybe its your router that is not transmitting your SSID

Make sure that the password/phrase you are using on your computer( for the wireless encryption) is the same as the one that has been set up on your router……also make sure that you are entering the correct form of encryption on your computer…IE if your Router is set to WPA2 then so must your computer
Regards
paws
Hi, f your machine can see your neighbours connections then it looks as though it maybe your router that is at fault. Has anyone altered any settings on it? I suggest you go to the admin page of your router and check your SSID and encryption and password. and then use these settings on your computer. Before you do this however ask your neighbours if they can "see" your router on their machines or ask a chum with a wifi equipped laptop to call round and see if his/her machine can see the router…you may need to tell them your SSID Regards paws

Hi, f your machine can see your neighbours connections then it looks as though it maybe your router that is at fault.
Has anyone altered any settings on it?

I suggest you go to the admin page of your router and check your SSID and encryption and password.
and then use these settings on your computer.
Before you do this however ask your neighbours if they can "see" your router on their machines or ask a chum with a wifi equipped laptop to call round and see if his/her machine can see the router…you may need to tell them your SSID
Regards
paws

Hey
I just remembered I dled hamachi on my desktop then I lost my internet connection for about 1-2 minutes. After that my wireless was not working for my laptop, and I couldn't see my network only me neighbors. And I'll ask around if they can see my network.
Thanks
I haven't asked around yet, but does hamachi effect the wireless settings of the router? I uninstalled it few days ago, but it still never works.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI