This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Computer display not coming on

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Alright so here's what happened. Last night, I reformatted my hard drive and installed Windows 7 64 bit. At this point everything was running fine, so i proceeded to download my drivers and such. I got my Video drivers and installed my motherboard firmware / HD audio. I restarted my computer, downloaded League of Legends (game) and began playing it. About 30 minutes in my computer shut off. I was unable to turn it back on unless i removed the power cable for 30 seconds then put it back. When I turned my computer on i received "WARNING!!! The previous attempt to overclock has failed, press any key except del to restore to defaults." Ive never attempted to overclock so I was confused. I looked some things up and was told to reset my BIOS. I did so resulting in my raid being reset, and attempted to re set it up. While i was in my bios the computer restarted, loaded bios again, turned off. So i turned it on and the same thing kept happening. Thinking it was my bios battery, i went out and bought a new one, installed it, an nothing. It still happened. Soon after the display stopped coming on and you could hear the computer constantly rebooting with no display. I bought a new power supply, thinking this was the problem. Turns out it was "a" problem, the computer no longer turns off, but i still get no display. I did RAM tests on my computer before the display started going out, all 4 gigs were okay and each slot was fine. My video card works in other computers, so that ruled out that problem. I'm hopelessly confused, my computer was completely fine until I upgraded to 7 from vista. Everything is tightly connected, I'm not bad with computers and have tried everything that I thought would fix it and have done my research. Also, I've tried different video cables, which was not the problem either. Specs: AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Core processor 2.5ghz 4 Gigs of Remmington 800 RAM ATI 4850 HD 1g MB Video Card MSI K9A2 CF V2 Motherboard Two 160g Harddrives on SATA RAID Please help. Thank you, Sh1fty.
Hello and welcome to WhatTheTech.. How soon does the problem occur after turning it on? Could it be a heat problem? If the computer sits for several minutes, does it then power on for a while longer before giving you problems? Have you tried removing various memory modules and moving them around just to be sure it isn't a problematic chip? Have you disconnected all other peripherals and expansion cards? If you get to this point still having a problem then you have a bad motherboard or CPU. Something probably overheated and fried during your game play.
Ive tried all of that. All of my hardware works in any other computer I put it in. I went ahead and figured it was the Motherboard so i bought a new one today, if its not then I'll send it back and replace my processor. Thanks for your reply.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI