SetiRich
Topic Starter
Hi folks,
I'm here after a recommendation from Ken over at the Spybot Malware Removal Forum, who took me through cleaning up a machine that was in pretty bad condition. This machine, from the kid across the street…had max++ Rootkit, and we successfully cleaned it up, but…
There remains a few issues…certain files had attributes put on them that I can't seem to fix, even with good old dos attrib commands…and really strangly, there are parts of the registry that are also blocked.
Let me start with the files that are locked up…SpybotSD.exe has been marked with attributes RHSA and I've tried a number of things, including plain old win98 boot disk access…to remove the attributes…but to no avail. But then, Windows files & folders permissions has always been my downfall…I even am familiar with BartPE…and it was locked up to that as well. There are actually 4 folders where re-installing spybot was attempted, and each one is tight as a drum!
So this morning, I thought…hmmm…time for RegAlyzer to find those…as I had other things to do, I just turned on search and let it go…instead of going right to the key…but 5 hours later…and the search is still hung up at this registry point
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SysmonLog\Log Queries
I tried just going there…and I can see the entries below this point, but the registry won't open to reveal this. I've never seen this happen before, where I've been locked out of registry points…with admin access.
Sooo…shortening the story a bit….I'm not sure if this blocked registry point has to do with the blocked spyware files…but it somehow seems related to the virus issues…at least, I've never seen any registry or file that acted like these do.
Other than that, the machine starts and runs just fine, and I'll give it back to the kid across the street…as soon as it stops raining…
However…I'd sure like to know what I can do for these locked files & registry sections…Not sure if any other sections are lock in the reg…since this is as far as RegAlyzer got in 5 hours !
If you'd like more info on what all when on with this machine…specifics of fixes applied…you'll find that info at this link: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=52398
OS is…WinXP Pro…all fixes applied…was even up to date before it was infected…and I believe the infection has something to do with a video codec, since he's into creating video's….
Thanks for any help you can offer…
Rich
I'm here after a recommendation from Ken over at the Spybot Malware Removal Forum, who took me through cleaning up a machine that was in pretty bad condition. This machine, from the kid across the street…had max++ Rootkit, and we successfully cleaned it up, but…
There remains a few issues…certain files had attributes put on them that I can't seem to fix, even with good old dos attrib commands…and really strangly, there are parts of the registry that are also blocked.
Let me start with the files that are locked up…SpybotSD.exe has been marked with attributes RHSA and I've tried a number of things, including plain old win98 boot disk access…to remove the attributes…but to no avail. But then, Windows files & folders permissions has always been my downfall…I even am familiar with BartPE…and it was locked up to that as well. There are actually 4 folders where re-installing spybot was attempted, and each one is tight as a drum!
So this morning, I thought…hmmm…time for RegAlyzer to find those…as I had other things to do, I just turned on search and let it go…instead of going right to the key…but 5 hours later…and the search is still hung up at this registry point
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SysmonLog\Log Queries
I tried just going there…and I can see the entries below this point, but the registry won't open to reveal this. I've never seen this happen before, where I've been locked out of registry points…with admin access.
Sooo…shortening the story a bit….I'm not sure if this blocked registry point has to do with the blocked spyware files…but it somehow seems related to the virus issues…at least, I've never seen any registry or file that acted like these do.
Other than that, the machine starts and runs just fine, and I'll give it back to the kid across the street…as soon as it stops raining…
However…I'd sure like to know what I can do for these locked files & registry sections…Not sure if any other sections are lock in the reg…since this is as far as RegAlyzer got in 5 hours !
If you'd like more info on what all when on with this machine…specifics of fixes applied…you'll find that info at this link: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=52398
OS is…WinXP Pro…all fixes applied…was even up to date before it was infected…and I believe the infection has something to do with a video codec, since he's into creating video's….
Thanks for any help you can offer…
Rich