Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91681 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] Generic Fake Alert html Viris PLEASE HELP REMOVE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#16 Fredooch

Fredooch

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

No I have never used drive G as the main drive...its an external hard drive in which I moved many programs and pics/music into to make room on my main C hard drive.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Fredooch

Fredooch

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

No..i have never used it as a main drive..

#18 Noviciate

Noviciate

Retired WTT Teacher

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

This is the first such entry that i've seen for a removable drive, so i'm going to ask for somebody wiser to take a look. I don't think that there's any risk unless the drive becomes bootable, assuming that this isn't a false-positive entry, but i'd like to be reassured that this is the case. As soon as I know something, so will you.
Death to the salad eaters!

#19 Fredooch

Fredooch

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

ok thanks...so is my C drive pretty much clean?

#20 Noviciate

Noviciate

Retired WTT Teacher

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

OK, a few people have cast their eyes over this and it would appear that if the drive has never been made bootable, it shouldn't have an mbr infection and so this would seem to be a false positive report and all is well.
Should it in fact have the infection, it doesn't pose a threat unless it is booted from again. I can't rule out the possibility that the drive was infected before you got your hands on it, even if you bought it new - hardware has been infected before shipping before.
All in all, i'd just keep using the drive as you are, for backups, and find something else to worry about. Apart from a quick update, you're done as far as I can tell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your version of Sun Java needs updating:

1) Go here and click on the Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003 Offline link in the Windows section near the top and save it to your Desktop.

2) Download JavaRa from here and save it to your Desktop.
You will need to extract the file(s):
Right click on the zipped folder and from the menu that appears, click on Extract All...
In the 'Extraction Wizard' window that opens, click on Next> and in the next window that appears, click on Next> again.
In the final window, click on Finish

***Please close any instances of Internet Explorer before continuing!***
  • Double-click JavaRa.exe to begin.
  • Pick your preferred language from the drop-down menu and click Select.
  • Click on Remove Older Versions to remove older version of Java - obvious really, isn't it!
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location, just in case you have any problems with Java afterwards.
3) Run the installer that you downloaded earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want you to run your PC as normal for a few days and when you are happy that everything is fine, do the following:

Disable System Restore,
Reboot your PC,
Re-enable System Restore,
Create a Restore Point - this will give a clean one should you need it in the future.
A tutorial for System Restore is available here.

The reason for waiting is that if removing the malware has caused a problem, which it occasionally does, you can put your PC back to how it was before the fix. This will re-install the malware, but an infected PC is better than an expensive paperweight!

Some bedtime reading: This is a very good tutorial about keeping your computer safe and secure on the internet.

#21 Noviciate

Noviciate

Retired WTT Teacher

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.