This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Super Slow Startup

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello! I am new to this forum (or any for that matter) and have a super slow pc that I need help with. This is a pc that I bought from a friend so I am not sure exactly what is loaded on it but I suspect there is a bunch of unnecessary things that need to go. My system is very slow with loading programs and even the control panel and launching the uninstall program. I saw where there was a post for slow start up and think that I need the same kind of help. Appleoddity seemed to help the person on the post that I found. What do I need to do to get some help? Thanks!
Thanks for taking time to read this> It is a Dell Workstation 360 Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz Processor Speed 3.12 GHz Memory (RAM) 4096 MB Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Operating System Version 5.1.2600 I do not have the OS software. Thanks again!
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP or Vista:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system.
Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI