Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91981 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Resolved] "c:\winnt\system32\comres.dll is infec

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#31 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

Step_By_Step,

• Just right click on it and select delete.
  • That may or may not be true. It depends if your cable modem has a hardware firewall. If you have a router between you and the cable modem, it probably is true as I don't know of any routers that don't have a hardware firewall. That being said, it is good practice to still have a software firewall. An example of why is; let's say you got a contaminated email and opened it and it contained a trojan downloader. Your computer would then call the internet and download more garbage onto your system. It doesn't matter that you are invisible to a person with negative intentions, because the bug in your system is calling home and giving it's friends directions to your house. A person or computer looking for you may not be able to see you, but you are still ending up with stuff you don't want. Does that make any sense?
  • I'm not positive but I'm also please by your new responsiveness. It is quite possible that your system was trying to install something nefarious (probably
    Antimalwaregaurd) and your security was blocking it but you were noticing lag because your resources were going toward holding it back. With your shiny new hosts file onboard, if something on your system tries to call the webpage where the malware is located, your computer will refuse to go to the internet to look for it. Therefore, you won't be using resources and you won't be getting infected (from listed sources anyway).

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

Topics are closed after 5 days without response
unite_blue_zpsbfd3cd98.png

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

Step_By_Step,

For Windows 2000 it is recommended that you leave DNS client disabled. (Manual is fine). It won't really hurt anything if it was turned back on but it will induce a "lag" when browsing. I suggest you leave it set as is.

Yes. Go ahead and make it ReadOnly.

You do not need to keep HostsXpert on your computer. Now that you have the hosts file set, it will do it's job. However, the MVPS Hosts file is updated and it would be a good idea to update it on your computer at least once a year. Basically HostsXpert is just a tool to help you manipulate your hosts file and/or download and install a custom one such as MVPS hosts file. You do not need to keep HostsXpert on your desktop but it might be handy to have somewhere.

I see I missed some additional questions last night.

You have enough security programs installed. If you are happy with what you are running, keep them.

You should install a firewall. Any of those listed will be fine. It comes down to personal preference. Use one you are comfortable with. Start with Online Armour. If you get it up and running relatively trouble free, keep it and get on with your life. If it drives you nuts, remove it and try a different one.

Yes. You did just use HostsXpert to install the MVPS hosts file.

That's it. I don't think I'd add anything else.

Is "Online Armour" a typo? Did you intend for me to download and utilize the following:
Online Armor

#33 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

Step_By_Step, Yep. It's a typo. Also, I would use the free version.

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

#34 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

Hi Tomk:
Is "Online Armor" (free software firewall) fully compatible with "Windows 2000 Professional" operating system?
Note: The following download site (As well as the software manufacturer's website) doesn't list this operating system.
Posted Image

Edited by Step_By_Step, 09 October 2009 - 05:14 PM.

#35 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Step_By_Step,

Sorry about that. Nice catch. That version is not 100% compatible with Windows 2000. You need this version: http://dl1.online-ar..._Setup_Free.exe

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

#36 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hi Tomk:
This program is confusing.............It expects me to somehow know exactly which stuff is safe and which is not safe.
During installation or soon thereafter a pop-up error message appeared as follows:
Posted Image
I found myself essentially guessing (based solely on name of program) as to what to approve as being safe.
Please help me......I'm lost on many of these:
Posted Image
Posted Image
1.) What should I choose?
2.) Exactly how do I go back and change the (many) ones I skipped?
Note: I'm lost......Therefore, if you notice any questionable or wrong choices that were made by me up to this point (see above images)........Please don't hesitate to correct me.

Edited by Step_By_Step, 09 October 2009 - 08:33 PM.

#37 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:37 PM

Step_By_Step,

On both of those screens, IE addons and Autoruns - select Allow All.

You should be able to go back and modify settings by clicking on the appropriate name in the menu on the left.

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

#38 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hi Tomk:
I forgot to ask you about "Online Armor" firewall's "Hosts" screen as follows:
1.) Does this set itself automatically?...................[or did I (I don't recall) allow everything?]
Posted Image
PS. Is "Online Armor" going to keep popping up (lower right hand corner of the screen) as asking me to authorize stuff?
If yes: How will I know what's safe and what's not safe (As those with negative intentions may intentionally misname things in order to make bad things appear as good.)?

Edited by Step_By_Step, 10 October 2009 - 04:08 PM.

#39 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

Step_By_Step, That screen is just showing you the contents of the host file you just set. You don't need to do anything with it. For awhile, you will get some popups asking you to authorize. You should know whether or not to authorize based upon what you are doing. If you are not purposefully doing something, then do not authorize. These popups should occur less and less after a couple days. If you aren't sure about something, don't authorize. If that stops you from doing what you are trying to do, then authorize.

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

#40 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

Hi Tomk:
I have a separate issue and I'm wondering where to get help on it.
I have an online web form which appears to have errors (according to netmechanic.com automated online validate program).
My Webpage as online form
Are you able to assist me in repairing my web page code or are you able to recommend an automated program that will fix the code?
Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

Step_By_Step,

I suggest you post your question here. Someone there should be able to help you sort it out. Please include what the errors are.

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

#42 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hi Tomk:
I have a question regarding the Hosts file.
When I recently utilized "Spybot Search & Destroy" Immunize feature...............It was apparently unable to immunize as "Online Armor" may have poped up seeking permission and then after (If I recall correctly) I gave permission to "Online Armor" firewall - Then it appears that somehow or other "Spybot Search & Destroy" appears to have altered the Hosts file. I then clicked on "HostsXpert 4.3" and was surprised to see that the list of Host files appears to have changed (Unless I'm wrong?) to include a mention of "Spybot Search & Destroy"" and whatever else was affected.
Posted Image
I had previously thought that "HostsXpert" was set to "Make ReadOnly". However that setting had apparently changed as "Spybot Search & Destroy" (Immunize feature) was apparently able to change the Hosts file.
As you can see from the (see above) photo I once again clicked on "HostsXpert 4.3" "Make ReadOnly" setting in order to hopefully lock the Hosts File..
a) Is this supposed to occur?
b) At this point..............What (if anything) should I do?

Edited by Step_By_Step, 25 October 2009 - 01:00 PM.

#43 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

Step_By_Step, You don't need to do anything. Spybot modifying your hosts file is OK.

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg

#44 Step_By_Step

Step_By_Step

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:44 AM

Hi Tomk: Thank you for the timely reply and tech information. :)

#45 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Classroom Admin
  • 20,156 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

Step_By_Step, You are welcome. Anything else I can do for you?

Tomk

mvplogo1_zpsea7gtc7e.gif

WTT-Grad1.jpg