Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Office 2003 applications want reinstall

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#76 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR racing (previous part-time Cup driver/owner)<br />my 2 kids - Jake &amp; Jenna - young teens

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hi. Is Windows Live OneCare a good alternate for AV? I have been thinking of switching to it and that is why I haven't renewed my current AV system. Do the other AV programs update their definitions often, like hourly or daily? Like Norton.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#77 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

Please pardon my stepping in. Windows Live OneCare was a bit of a disappointment and has been discontinued/replaced by Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) which is touted to be more robust as well as compatible with a wider range of Windows OS, including 64bit systems and Windows 7. I am aware that a few Malware Experts have it installed on test-bed systems, but no final conclusions nor recommendations have come out yet. MSE is available free for personal use on one machine. An Enterprise version is scheduled to be released on a fee basis for multiple use license in businesses. (to be called Microsoft Forefront).
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#78 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR racing (previous part-time Cup driver/owner)<br />my 2 kids - Jake &amp; Jenna - young teens

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:25 AM

Hi Paws. Sorry for the divergence here, but I got worried about my AV protection after reading your concerns and wanted to fix it! I uninstalled my ResolutionsMSP AV program using the uninstall in the control panel, then I installed Microsoft Security Essentials. I hope this was the right thing to do! A quick scan found no problems, after 17 minutes and 42,000+ files scanned, so I did a full scan Maybe I should do all the steps in #48 again, now?

Edited by Jeff Davis, 08 November 2009 - 02:29 AM.

#79 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:35 AM

Hi Jeff, Yes I'm afraid so! Its a pain but each time you try the install a few entries will find their way into the Registry and so need clearing out and the reboots.... ready for the fresh install. and see if you can temporarily disable your av during the actual install.....ie from step 14 onwards Regards paws PS glad you got protected.......hope nothing nasty crept in whilst you old AV was out of date!
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#80 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. I sure don't mind following the steps you gave me, and yes I still use the list. Will I need to disable this MS Security Essentials program during the process?

Edited by Jeff Davis, 08 November 2009 - 03:43 AM.

#81 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:11 AM

Hi Jeff

Will I need to disable this MS Security Essentials program during the process?

I recommend you do this (disable it) just before step 14...best to be on the safe side, in view of all the trouble you have had with this
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#82 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

I did a Full Scan and all was ok. How do I disable it as you just mentioned?

#83 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:34 AM

Hi Jeff, Tha'ts good to hear To disable the real time scanner try this 1 Open MSE 2 Click on Settings 3 Click on Real Time Protection Untick/uncheckmark Turn on real time Prot Fingers crossed! Regards paws

Edited by paws, 08 November 2009 - 04:36 AM.
typos ( I'm getting worse!)

#84 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:37 AM

I disabled the MSE and ran all of the steps in 48. Found only Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office11 in step 10 and neither of the others. Maybe Office11 was created during the last attempted reinstall. It wasn't left there by me before. After everything, I got the same 1311 error for file not found when I attempted the re-install. Here is an interesting side note: If I click on any XLS file to open it, a small Windows box is displayed saying Windows cannot open this file, and asking me what I want to do: Use the Web service to find the appropriate program or Select the program from a list. If I select the second item to Select the program from a list, it shows Recommended Programs as 1. Internet Explorer 2. Microsoft Access which is displayed next to a key shaped icon which is used for my Omnipass password/fingerprint software. If I select that one, it gives an error, Unrecognized database format and then it lists the file name I am trying to open. Maybe the Omnipass and Excel icons look similar?

Edited by Jeff Davis, 09 November 2009 - 01:19 AM.

#85 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:56 AM

Hi Jeff, This is not looking too promising...... The xls files you mention are those created in Microsoft Excel (a spreadsheet programme) part of Microsoft office......so its not "usual" to use Microsoft Office Access as a program to open them. The Omnipass and Access Icons are not really relevant to the issues you are having. 1 I take it that all other Programs and parts of your computer are working faultlessly? I ask as a corrupted user profile is a possibility, however that is unlikely if you machine is other wise working well. If you are having any other problems with your machine, then we could try creating a new user profile....however I think the chances of success via this route are slim.... let me know if you want to try a new profile. 2 Did you ever try the install in safe mode, or from the hard drive rather than using the CD ( IE copying all the files to a new folder on your desktop and running the executable from there? 3 Subject to the above,I think that the next step must be to check The Microsoft office Installation disc that you are using.......... I f you can and you have access to another machine, try to do an install on another machine that does not have Microsoft Office on it and see if you get the same error........NOTE the intention here is not to do an install and use Microsoft Office on a new machine but merely to see if it will take it.... without giving the errors you have had before.......... If it installs Ok then this points to an error with your machine..... if it does not, then an error in the disc. 4 If there is an error in your machine then you must start to consider whether you do without "Microsoft Office" and try an alternative such as the Free "Open Office" it has similar characteristics but is different (and is free!) or you bite the bullet , back up everything on your machine , reformat and reinstall everything from scratch! ( I would not like you to do this if it turns out the problem is either a disc error ie your install disc is faulty or.......err......... how can I say this........err.......operator error 5 Let us know how the install went on the other machine. Regards paws

Edited by paws, 09 November 2009 - 02:58 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#86 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:49 AM

Oops, I confused the mention of Microsoft Office Access and Excel. I've only used Access very little but use Excel a lot. 1 I take it that all other Programs and parts of your computer are working faultlessly? I think that all other programs seem to work good. I have several programs that seem to Open good as in the past. If you are having any other problems with your machine, then we could try creating a new user profile....however I think the chances of success via this route are slim....let me know if you want to try a new profile. Well, I have done this. I created a new tempadmin and gave it admin power and it seems to work ok. 2 Did you ever try the install in safe mode, or from the hard drive rather than using the CD ( IE copying all the files to a new folder on your desktop and running the executable from there? I never tried this. Let's try this next! 3 Subject to the above,I think that the next step must be to check The Microsoft office Installation disc that you are using.......... I f you can and you have access to another machine, try to do an install on another machine that does not have Microsoft Office on it and see if you get the same error........ The disc is a Microsoft disc (not a copy) and we tried the other copy of Office Small Bus Edition that I have and got a similar Error 1311 so I'd have to assume the disc is ok. 4 If there is an error in your machine ...... I think it is ok, but? Should I give up and install Office 2007? Would it upgrade even though we removed the 2003? Or is the Upgrade version the same software but sold at a better price?

Edited by Jeff Davis, 09 November 2009 - 02:08 PM.

#87 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:06 AM

Can you help me with instruction on how to copy to hard drive (basic steps like how to copy, where to save it, etc). Also, how to manually start the install with files on hard drive and pc in Safe mode?

Edited by Jeff Davis, 10 November 2009 - 01:09 AM.

#88 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:49 AM

Hi Jeff
OK, let's start with safe mode,
This is a diagnostic mode provided by Microsoft that has the effect of loading Windows with a minimum set of drivers.....just enough to get the system to work, without loading all the "fancy stuff"
As a result the screen in safe mode will look a bit strange, clumsy and the icons and stuff will look big........no matter..... it will allow us to try the install of Office, so let's start
Before you go into safe mode, please perform...yes you have guessed it...all the steps 1 through to 13 again (including the restarts, waits etc....)

Now go into safe mode:
close down your machine, wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen then:
1 Restart your machine and immediately after you switch on start tapping the F8 key once per second until you arrive at a black menu screen The Windows Advanced Menu
2 Select "safe mode" (just plain old safe mode) leave all the other options alone)
3 wait a while and you will get to the desktop, but it will a little strange (as I mentioned above) now try the install from there and see how you go.

If by any chance normal mode Windows continues to load when you start tapping the F8 key then wait until its all loaded then close down and start again, this time you will need to start tapping F8 just a bit quicker immediately after you power up.

I'm not sure if I have said this previously Jeff, but you will need at least 2.5GB of free disc space available on your hard drive for the installation to be successful... can you tell me how much you actually have available?
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 10 November 2009 - 03:08 AM.

#89 Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:22 AM

Hi. Disk Defrag says I have 58% free space of 55.89GB capacity. So I'm good on clear space. I have started up in Safe Mode before and can get it again. Question: In my All Programs list, I have two seperate items that must be the ork and orktools items: Microsoft Office / Microsoft Office Tools / Microsoft Office 2003 Resource Kit with a Removal Wizard in it and Microsoft Office Tools / Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit Tools with a Removal Wizard in it Are these Removal Wizards the same? Are they the items created by the ork downloads? Should I run them both as part of the steps 1-13?

Edited by Jeff Davis, 11 November 2009 - 02:24 AM.

#90 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:44 AM

Hi Jeff, Thats good :thumbup: plenty of space. The two Resource kit tools are similar ( but not the same) and both have a removal wizard that you will need to run. One removes stuff from Office 2003 which I think is the one you have been trying to uninstall and then install..and the other removes stuff from Office XP ( the version of Office issued prior to Office 2003........ I wanted you to run them both just as as a belt and braces to clear out practically everything Office related prior to the fresh install. The resource kit removal wizards are created by the two executables I had you download ..ork.exe and orktools.exe Regards paws