Have installed an antivirus program?
How's the computer?
If no other problems, we can clean up our tools and have a look at your laptop if you wish.
From your desktop, please delete[if still present
- any notepads/logs that we created
- AVP Tool by Kaspersky.
To ensure the removal of combofix works correctly, we'll use a new copy.
Locate combofix.exe (you renamed it jgh.exe), right click it and select delete
Download ComboFix from one of these locations:
* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
Click the Start
button, click Run
. Copy and paste the following line into the run box and click OK
then click the Clean Up
button. You may get prompted by your firewall that OTL wants to contact the internet - allow this. A cleanup.txt will be downloaded, a message dialog will ask you if you want to proceed with the cleanup process, click Yes
. This will do some clean up tasks and delete some of the tools you have downloaded plus itself.
Some Recommendations and prevention tips
Basic security consists of 1 antivirus program, 1 resident antispyware program, 1 on demand antispyware program and a firewall. Unless you have installed an antivirus program, you have only MBAM, an on demand antispyware program.
I recommend you use an antispyware program with resident (real time) scanning. I suggest
* If you are behind a router Windows firewall should be fine. Otherwise a 3rd party firewall with outbound monitoring is recommended.
for tips, reviews and links to good, free and paid for firewalls. (Note
: Zone Alarm is becoming bloatware)
You should also use Spyware Blaster
to help immunize your computer.
- SpywareBlaster will add a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer
settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
A guide to understanding and using the hosts file.
Learn how your Hosts file can protect you and how you can protect it.
Besides the Hosts file information, there are links to a very good updated hosts file, a host file manager. and some programs that can protect your hosts file.
Please read the info on disabling the DNS Client before
installing a custom hosts file.
-Secure your Internet Explorer
From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
Next press the Apply
button and then the OK
to exit the Internet Properties page.
- Keeping your Windows up-to-date is crucial to your computer's security. Please go to the Windows Update Site
(using Internet Explorer) and download and install all critical updates on a regular basis
- Ensure that Automatic Update
is turned on so you get all the latest patches.
Click start, control panel, click Security Center.
- Keep your antivirus
, as well as any other security programs you have.
-Check this site out to check for out of date programs
Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) 1.0
-More tips and programs can be found HERE
- You may also want to read this article By Tony Klein
Let me know about the laptop.