Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How can I quickly swap between MVPS Hosts file and Microsoft's,

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Crimea

Crimea

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hi,

How can I quickly swap between my MVPS Hosts file and Microsoft's, when troubleshooting the problem of no longer being able to access a site? I sometimes can't access a retailer's site, via a 'cashback' site, as, I presume, the tracking company used by the 'cashback' site is blocked by MVPS.

At the moment I use the Microsoft method to restore the default Hosts file, but that is a pain as it requires a re-boot.

I've been told HostsXpert or HostsMan would do the job, but I wouldn't know where to start with these.

Is it true that, from what I've read at http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm, because my desktop P.C. is not part of a domain, I should disable the "DNS Client", whatever that is?

I currently have a shortcut, on my Desktop, to the MVPS file, to manually disable individual url entries, but I can't disable every one and then re-enable them.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hi Crimea.. Just thought I would address this issue. Everything that I have found about this topic suggests that Windows XP does not need to be rebooted for HOSTS file changes to take effect. They are immediate. Instead, what you are probably experiencing is that your browser is caching the entries for a short period. Restarting the browser should be all that is needed to refresh that. Notice that the Microsoft site you linked to also does not suggest rebooting your computer for changes to take effect. You simply replace the HOSTS file and that is it.

Edited by appleoddity, 10 October 2009 - 01:01 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 Crimea

Crimea

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

Hi, Thanks for the help. Should I also disable the "DNS Client"?