This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

How can I quickly swap between MVPS Hosts file and Microsoft's,

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

How can I quickly swap between my MVPS Hosts file and Microsoft's, when troubleshooting the problem of no longer being able to access a site? I sometimes can't access a retailer's site, via a 'cashback' site, as, I presume, the tracking company used by the 'cashback' site is blocked by MVPS.

At the moment I use the Microsoft method to restore the default Hosts file, but that is a pain as it requires a re-boot.

I've been told HostsXpert or HostsMan would do the job, but I wouldn't know where to start with these.

Is it true that, from what I've read at http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm, because my desktop P.C. is not part of a domain, I should disable the "DNS Client", whatever that is?

I currently have a shortcut, on my Desktop, to the MVPS file, to manually disable individual url entries, but I can't disable every one and then re-enable them.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Hi Crimea.. Just thought I would address this issue. Everything that I have found about this topic suggests that Windows XP does not need to be rebooted for HOSTS file changes to take effect. They are immediate. Instead, what you are probably experiencing is that your browser is caching the entries for a short period. Restarting the browser should be all that is needed to refresh that. Notice that the Microsoft site you linked to also does not suggest rebooting your computer for changes to take effect. You simply replace the HOSTS file and that is it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI