Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91679 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Am I the only one who can't access www.guardian.co.uk?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:03 PM

OK, are you running any parental control or similar software...net nanny for example...that may even have been installed years ago.......... Have you checked your browser's Content Adviser settings? in IE for example: Tools>Internet Options>Content Adviser>Enable>Approved site>type in the approved site>allow this site>OK>etc Have you checked that you have no restrictions that would cover this site in your software firewall? Have you checked that you have no restrictions that would cover this site in your hardware firewall? ( within your router) Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 computerwannabe

computerwannabe

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:16 AM

My computer is only a few weeks old, so no old parental control programs are a concern. Content adviser is not even enabled (I checked). I have been searching in vain for a blocked site list in my Norton Firewall product, except for phishing sites, and it wouldn't be there. I assume it isn't the router's firewall, as I still wasn't able to access it when I bypassed it and hooked up directly to the modem. Would the proxy do the same thing as openDNS, bypassing my ISP"s DNS server?

#18 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:30 AM

Yes, it might be wise to double check them.

I have been searching in vain for a blocked site list in my Norton Firewall product, except for phishing sites, and it wouldn't be there.

also check any other security related products ie Adaware, Spybot etc anything that has the capability of blocking...check
You could also disable your software fire wall for a quick test as the hardware firewall within most routers provides incoming protection.
As your machine is only a few weeks old a system restore back to just before the problem began is worth considering...
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#19 computerwannabe

computerwannabe

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:38 AM

I just turned off the firewall, and I still was unable to access it. I don't have anything else installed, except Hijack this. I just did a system restore because of an MS Works update problem, to a couple of days after I bought it. Thanks for the many replies! I know your time is valuable.

#20 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:54 AM

Hi you are welcome, did the system restore do the trick? Regards paws

#21 computerwannabe

computerwannabe

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

No, it didn't fix it. :-(

#22 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

Have you tried OpenDNS ?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#23 guardianreader

guardianreader

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

You are not the only one computerwannabe. I have the exact same problem, on both my desktop and laptop. The guardian is the ONLY site I cannot access on both computers. And, like you, I can access it via localbypass.com. I am in the UK, and BT is my ISP. My best guess is that the guardian have boosted security since being recently hacked into. Either that or the ISP is the problem. If you sort the problem out computerwannabe, please let me know how you did it. And if anyone else has further advice, I'd be very grateful.

#24 ymitchell

ymitchell

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

I have not been able to access the Guardian's website for a while now ..

Same here, I don't think it's a local problem, I think the Guardians DNS entry is misconfigured.

$dig +nocmd guardian.co.uk any +multiline +noall +answer

guardian.co.uk. 600 IN SOA dns01.guardian.co.uk. network.guardian.co.uk. (
2006116133 ; serial
10800 ; refresh (3 hours)
3600 ; retry (1 hour)
1209600 ; expire (2 weeks)
900 ; minimum (15 minutes)
--

$dig +nocmd bbc.co.uk any +multiline +noall +answer

bbc.co.uk. 900 IN SOA ns.bbc.co.uk. hostmaster.bbc.co.uk. (
2010021001 ; serial
1800 ; refresh (30 minutes)
600 ; retry (10 minutes)
864000 ; expire (1 week 3 days)
900 ; minimum (15 minutes)

#25 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,778 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

When I ping www.guardian.co.uk, I get this IP address: 77.91.248.30

Try http://77.91.248.30 in your browser URL, see if it works. If yes then it is definitely a DNS problem and switching to OpenDNS should fix it.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Duey

Duey

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

maybe trying the mobile phone version will let you look at the site?

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ (this has been copied from my address bar so no probs with spelling (lol) )

try it and see if it works

Regards

Duey

#27 Ripley

Ripley

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

I started having the same problem with accessing the Guardian website just this week. Happily, the mobile phone URL did the trick. Thanks much, Duey!

#28 phish1948

phish1948

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

I'm having the same problem re the guardian, just the last two days ive tried everything suggested and am wondering if this may be due to the last MS update

#29 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:13 AM

It might be worth seeing if you can uninstall it...or perhaps use a previous System Restore Point? Regards paws ps welcome to the WTT forums by the way! :welcome:

#30 remixedcat

remixedcat

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:52 AM

they may be slow doe to that DNSSEC update. and welcome ;)