Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Closed] Total Security 2009 infection help please.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#16 TMGTEch

TMGTEch

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

I returned the HDD to the laptop (I pulled it out to try to recover some of my work documents) I didn't get the screen to chose which OS to start (I'm running Vista so most of my knowledge on fixing stuff doesn't work... Grrr MS) But by going into Startup repair then having the system run it's checks, find nothing it allowed me to go to advanced options. In advanced options I could get into the command prompt which allowed me to run those commands. Unfortunately in C:\Windows\ERDNT there is no Subs directory just a Cache directory. I tried to run Batch erdnt.con anyway but it came up as Batch isn't a recognised program. But on the bright side, it allowed me to attach an external HDD and I was able to pull most of my data off the drive.... I've still got about 100Gb to transfer and will do that tonight when I get home from work.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

Try this command at the prompt:

cd erdnt\hiv-backup

hopefully that will restore your windows.

Unfortunately, you had a very nasty rootkit onboard. If the registry backups don't work, at least you have a way to retrieve your files and start over.
Sometimes that's the best option when rootkits are involved.

Keep me updated.

Microsoft MVP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

#18 TMGTEch

TMGTEch

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

One good thing is if I do need to rebuild it, I can rebuild it without some of the junk I've uistalled over the last 6 or so months that I've had the laptop.

#19 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

:thumbup: true...it's good to completely wipe every now and then, but I'm sure you didn't plan it under these circumstances

#20 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

Due to inactivity this topic will be closed. If you need help please start a new thread.