I have 2 computers , 2 problems & now 2 threads…
This one is for my Dell Optiplex GX1 400L….It has Win Pro SP-3 with Avast! , MBAM etc…
My other computer (Dell GX280 SFF ) (The one I'm on now) will not accept MBAM updates OR Java installs….
SOOoooo I tried to get the Dell Optiplex online to see if it would take Java & MBAM updates….
Won't go online….Here's what happens & what I tried to do to fix it….
The symptom is NO dial tone….I have my modem UNmuted so I can hear it dialing out….(When it's working)…
I ran the modem troubleshooter & it says everything is OK….It produced a dial tone during one of the tests…
It also dialed a test phone number successfully…
My phone line IS OK….
I totally removed NetZero with Revo Uninstaller….(UNBELIEVEABLY it found OVER 7,000 (<< NOT a typo) remnants !!!)
I Reinstalled NetZero….I used their wizard & it says everything is OK….
I also restored to an earlier date….NONE of the above worked….
So for quite awhile everything worked hunky dory , then I got that G.D. "Devil Monster" on my GX 280 & everything went to hell in a wicker basket….
In my layman terms , we're missing a piece of info to tell the modem to dial the damm phone #…
I'm 99% certain that the NetZero file IS OK….Reason is , I reinstalled it from a KNOWN good CD from Netzero…..So I don't think we can blame NetZero for the foul-up…
I also re-installed the modem driver & that's OK….The modem IS OK as I'm online with it now….
SOOOOooooo , What do I do now…..
BTW: THAT computer IS virus , trojan & malware FREE…..I've ran MBAM , Avast! , SpyBot & Windows Defender ….ALL show a clean computer….
Your help WILL be GREATLY appreciated……
Later….Ron.M….