Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Problems installing Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 druryr416

druryr416

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:48 PM

im thinking its the motherboard because if i remember right it shut off in the middle of an installation for no reason and then started this.I'm going to try getting a new motherboard.and if it doesnt work then ill just try and build a fifferent computer or something.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 druryr416

druryr416

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

also when im running the ubuntu live cd it will pick up either hard drive fine..... where would i find information about the jumpers? i.e.(which ones to move and all)

#18 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

Jumper info should be on the top of the hard drive itself. On a label. I'd suggest Master rather than Cable Select and again try both channels on the motherboard and try different cables. If you are sure that Ubuntu is detecting the drives then the BIOS must be detecting them as well. Have you verified this in the BIOS Setup?

#19 druryr416

druryr416

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

i opened up the BIOS setup numerous times and it desnt show up under either Primary Master nor does it show up under the Hard Drives section in the Boot Priority List.

#20 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

And yet are you saying these drives show up under Ubuntu's hardware management or are you just saying the Live CD works OK? If I am not mistaken you were not able to install Ubuntu on either drive as it did not see them: is this correct?

#21 druryr416

druryr416

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

no, Ubuntu read the drives.I was running the Live CD and installed.When I retarted the computer the hard drives didnt show up.but when I ran the ubuntu live CD it would read it again.

#22 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

Strange; but interesting. I would set your CD drive to Secondary Master (which it most likely is) and connect one hard drive only as Primary Master {jumpers set to Master). Continue to check the BIOS for detection.