Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Hardware update wizard not working

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Silent Kill

Silent Kill

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hello, I have many hardware that need updating. When ever I go to device manager and try to update them, its says cannot continue to update wizard. I am really getting annoyed. I need to update my USB ports because they are not detecting anything when I plug something in. Please help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

For your USB problems, try the directions here: http://forums.whatth...ems_t97497.html

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Silent Kill

Silent Kill

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

I will try that now. Do you know any free software that updates orhow to fix hardware updater? thanks. And, the drives need updating, it is not just the usb ports so idk if that will help me.

Edited by Silent Kill, 01 August 2009 - 07:50 PM.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

Please post the exact error message you receive when you try to update a device driver. Also, why are you trying to update device drivers? Are you having problems? Did you just reinstall XP?

Rich

#5 Silent Kill

Silent Kill

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

Hi,

Here are some screenshots:

Here are the drivers that need updating.Posted Image

When I go to update device, then automatically update, I get this: Posted Image

#6 Silent Kill

Silent Kill

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

And no I did not just reinstall XP.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words for sure, thanks. Try uninstalling each of the devices that has the yellow mark from Device Manager by right clicking on it and selecting Uninstall. Once all are done, reboot and let XP rediscover them, see if that helps.

Rich

#8 Silent Kill

Silent Kill

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

Hey,

Thanks for replying. I'm scared if I uninstall them, my pc will not recognize them then I'll be stuck.

Here is my manufacturer's website. Maybe you could tell me which drivers I need to download to help resolve the problem.

http://h10025.www1.h...r...072&lang=en

#9 Silent Kill

Silent Kill

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

May I ask what Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller and Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller are? Are they the actual usb ports themselves are the devices I plug into the ports? EDIT: I think it has nothing to do with update wizard, there is a problem with my usb ports, they are not detcted and they are not installed properly. please help

Edited by Silent Kill, 05 August 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:06 PM

Sorry, but I already told you the first thing to try, uninstall them as I directed, then reboot. XP will redetect them and reinstall the drivers. That often fixes this kind of problem. If not, then I'll point you to a program to run that will collect some information I'll need to continue.

Rich

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Silent Kill

Silent Kill

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

I did that. But then they are reinstalled as the same state they were in before :(

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

I overlooked the obvious. Why do these drivers need to be installed or updated? Did you recently reinstall XP? If so, what is the make and model number of your computer? All the necessary drivers should be available from the manufacturers web site. If you provide the info I can help you find them.

Rich

#13 Silent Kill

Silent Kill

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

I did not just reinstall XP. But I think they stop wroking once I upgraded to serrvice pack 3. I went to the manufacturer's site and I don't know which drivers are the ones for the usb. I have a HP Pavilion Media Center a1524n Desktop PC. My manufacturer website with drivers: http://h10025.www1.h...product=3199072

#14 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

I would go with the original drivers: HP_1524n_drivers.jpg Specifically the Chipset (which should take care of the USB problems) and Realtek Audio. See is that takes care of the problems. If not, you can always uninstall SP3, then decline it the next time it's offered and instead, continue to update SP2.

Rich

#15 Silent Kill

Silent Kill

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Hi, I downloaded but still didn't work. I read their description and they are only compatiable with SP2. I went to Add/Remove programs and it doesn't give me an option to uninstall. If I have to restore my computer, (this is last resource), then how do I completely clean my hard drive before I do so? Thanks.