This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Slow start up

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I found this forum from the guys over at spybot. They were very helpful in helping me clean some viruses off my computer. My question is this: Everytime I start my computer, it takes forever to load. I am sure there is a bunch of "junk" on this thing since I have had it for a few years now. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you! I have an XP operating system. I have tired CCleaner, TFC, and deleted temp intetnet files. None of this really helped. J
:welcome: With CCleaner have you tried > Tools > Startup? Here you can "disable" startup entries to see if it improves your time. By "disable" rather than "delete" you can always go back and "re-enable".
Nothing listed there is vital save your Anti Virus but you can even test that just do not go on line. They only list programs that were added onto your operating system. So disable all and see if it makes a difference. Again do not go on line without an Anti Virus.
So it seems like it is a little faster but still painful. Also, whenever I try to open up a file, it takes a while. They computer is always "thinking." Thanks for the advice so far, def helping! :thumbup:
Hi Jason… Can you read and perform the instructions here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_new_users_t104737.html

Please provide the requested information including the PCPitStop link.

Also, please upload your application and system logs:
How to capture an event log and upload it to the forum:
  • First, open Event Viewer by clicking Start -> Run -> type eventvwr.msc and press ENTER.
  • In the Event Viewer please right click the requested event log (i.e. Application, system, etc…) and click Save Log File As.
  • Please save the logfile to your desktop and give it a recognizable name.
  • Do this for each log that has been requested.
  • When you are finished saving the necessary logs, close Event Viewer.
  • On your desktop find the saved log files. Hold the CTRL key and click to select each event log.
  • When all event logs are selected, right-click one of them, click Send to -> Compressed Zip Folder.
  • A new .ZIP file will have been created on your desktop. Please attach that file to this forum in your next reply.
Thank you.. There are some clear problems here causing significant delays when you start your computer. I notice you seem to be having quite a few programs crashing on a regular basis too? Is this the case? Programs such as YahooMessenger, Blackberry Desktop Manager, Spybot S&D, and Internet Explorer? Was this an isolated period of time or has this been a regular problem? You have too many anti-virus programs running together. Its time to decide which ones you want. For sure McAfee is not functioning properly, and Spybot is crashing regularly. So, those two are going either way. You also have CA Pest Patrol, WIndows Live One Care, and SpywareBlaster. I have not seen how many of these are currently running together but I suspect at least a few of them are. I'm headed out to church for the morning, I'll be back later ths afternoon. I will closely review what you have provided and offer some clear steps to get your computer back to running normal again. Please don't do anything until then. Thanks.
Hi Jason.. I'm still a little busy at the moment. But, I've been considering your issues.

I want you to do one more thing for me so that I can give you all the information you need later on tonight without any further delays.

Please download CodeStuff Starter and attach your startups and services list.

How to use CodeStuff Starter to view services and startup items:

  • Please download and install CodeStuff Starter
  • Run Starter by finding it on your start menu after it is installed.
  • When the program opens, you will see three tabs on the main screen (Startup, Processes, Services)
  • Please click the Startup tab and make sure that All Sections is selected on the left hand side under the sections view pane.
  • Once the Startup tab and all sections is selected, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it startup.html.
  • Now, please click the Services tab.
  • Once the Services tab is open, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it services.html.
  • Now that both files have been saved to your desktop, close CodeStuff Starter.
  • Locate the startup.html and services.html files on your desktop. Both files can be attached to the forum, as is. Please do so in your next reply.
The reason I has so many problems was because I had a virus on my computer that I could not get off. I had a lot of problems with my spyware programs and anti-virus programs at first. I can get rid of some but would like to keep as many as possible since the virus is gone. It won't let me attach the files? Says that: You are not permitted to upload this type of file?
You need to make sure that you have saved the files as HTML and that there is a .HTML extension on the name of the file. The forum will allow you to upload .HTML files unless something has changed recently.
Yes, exactly. The webpage is a ".html" file that you need to attach to the forum as an upload. Then, I click on the .html file and the webpage opens for me! :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI