Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Computer freezes when watching videos

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Both of those "errors" are trivial and will not affect your machine's functionality.
You probably have Logmein disabled, and may have used Services to turn off the Logmein service as well.
You don't need to turn off Logmein "service" but it it your choice.

From http://java.sun.com/....ures/jqs.html: <-- I am no longer able to find a good link to this info

"Java Quick Starter (JQS) improves the initial startup time of Java applets and applications by periodically prefetching some of the most heavily used Java Runtime Environment files into memory (occupying no more than 20Mb of RAM). Later, when Java is launched, much less disk I/O is required and as a result, startup is much faster.

JQS is enabled by default in the Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems running on x86 (IA-32) or compatible hardware. It is turned off in Windows Vista because Windows Vista offers its own preloading mechanisms. When fully enabled, JQS runs as a Windows service called Java Quick Starter. The Task Manager shows a jqs.exe process.

The JQS service will perform runtime checks to determine if the system is running on battery power. If so, prefetching will be suspended until AC power is restored. This scenario is most common on laptop PCs."

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 motox822

motox822

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:16 AM

Okay.. I finally got around to doing those things. First off, I couldn't get Ubuntu to work. I burned 2 different CDs, one with PowerISO and one with ISORecorder. The PowerISO CD would not be read. I would get that black screen with the little blinking "_" at the top right and I could hear my computer trying to read the CD, and then Windows would just boot normally. The ISORecorder CD was recognized and it would come up with a black screen with a that said "Ubuntu" in the center with its logo, but then an error would pop up saying that the boot CD could not be read and it would just restart the computer and repeat that process. Secondly, I ran SuperPi and it was able to calculate 4 million digits in 3m 49s with no freezing (I didn't go any higher because it took too long) To answer Jephree's Question in the beginning of last post: 1. Q: Did you have any such issues prior to your Malware Infection? A: The issues showed up randomly and I thought it was from malware so I used Spybot Forums to check. It turned out that I had no infections so they directed me here.

Edited by motox822, 01 August 2009 - 01:17 AM.

#33 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

My diagnosis is a bad graphics card. Unfortunately the only way to verify that is with a different graphics card. Your Ubuntu symptoms are very similar to my experience with damaged GPUs and if that is the case only a new card will resolve the issues.

#34 motox822

motox822

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Okay that's was I was thinking too from some similar cases I read. Thank you for your help!