Emails with video links
11 min read
Good to see ya again & THANK YOU for your reply….
I don't remember either…. <_<I don't remember.
Are you using a third-party download manager?
I have no clue as to what a " third-party download manager" is ….
A bit more info I forgot to add:…
Up on top of the screen ,next to the address line there are 2 click on items…
One is to refresh the page ( 2 little green arrows ) & the other is a red "X" to stop loading the page(?)…
When I have the problem I click on the red "X" & it does nothing….
Normally it works fine….
It's like the webpage is refuseing to let me go….
[external image: Posted Image]
Later…..Ron.M…..
I will be more patient…
THANK you for what you're doing for me….
Best Regards….Ron.M…..
Sorry about the reply time response….
I somewhere,somehow picked up a VERY nasty virus….
NOT my computer,ME!!! ….I've been sicker than s%#t for 3 days…
Went in to the "VA" for an appointment…
Got some meds & now I have to wait it out…
Extreme sore throat,can not swallow properly,every bone & muscle aches…
Had nothing to eat for 3 days , & did NOT sleep well at all….
So much for the "Good News"…..
Now in reply to your post;==>
I only have 1 toolbar…..I'm still sick as I write this , so please bear with me…Third party add-ons escape my memory at the moment…Sorry….Most problems with Internet Explorer can be resolved simply by disabling third party add-ons and toolbars.
I had already tried IE-7 "Reset' & "Return" to default settings…..NO help….
Last wednesday while I was helping someone with a TV problem at another websitwe,my computer went ABSOLUTELY BONKERS,whacko,etc….Now this happened while I was typeing up a PM….
I lost the blinking "|" where you type at….Then copy & paste dissappeared…..BUMMER!!!
Since I was getting whacked by a virus,I decided to logoff & call it a night…..
Then the "SHOCKER"!!!!
There are 2 attachments below…The1st is my desktop normally & the 2nd is what I saw when I went offline….
Looks like something from outer space invaded my computer….
Now I have NEVER seen that graphic before EVER,& it's NOT part of ANY file OR program…
System restore was gone also,so I used Erunt to get rid of that "Alien"…
Wednesday evening I ran a DEEP scan with Avast…..Perfectly CLEAN…
Thursday AM ,I ran SpyBot……Full scan,Perfectly CLEAN….
So that pretty much ruled out my computer having any trojans,viruses ,etc….
I opened up a few of my desktop files & waddyaknow???..They worked perfectly….
Copy & paste returned & so did this thing >>"|"….
What I did next was to remove IE-7 & re-install it…..Waddyaknow ?? It fixed the prob!!!
What I don't know is IF this "Glitch" is related to my "Email with Video Probs" OR not….
SOOOooo, you'll need to give me some time to see if that is fixed also….
MANY,MANY THANKS for your inputs,fellas…
I have to go lay down & try to heal….
Later,,,Ron.M….
Good news!!!…..
Removing & then Re-installing IE-7 apparently solved my problem….
Emails etc are working fine…..
Now the question of the day is:..
WHAT caused it ???
WHERE did that Space Alien on my desktop come from ???
See attachment again….
I'm fairly confident that the two symptoms ARE related…
I would like to avoid this problem in the future….
Problem is: Don't know how I got it…
SOOOooooo , IF , anyone knows ANYTHING about this , PLEASE speak up….
Maybe someone from the HJT thread,a malware specialist ???
THANK you VERY,VERY MUCH in advance of your anticipated help….
Later….Ron.M…..
You know the drill:
Read here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html
Post here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_L…emoval_f27.html
That's a BIG help , isn't it ????… <_<Ron…
You know the drill:
Read here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html
Post here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_L…emoval_f27.html
I ran SpyBot,MBAM & Avast…ALL updated & came up with NO infections…..
The problem , IMHO, appears to have somehow corrupted IE-7….
& Then put that wierd graphic on my desktop….
The problem appears to be corrected now that I have removed & re-installed IE-7…
So sending me to the Malware Removal Forum seems like a waste of time & effort on everyones behalf….
Whatever was there is now gone , I would think….
I SERIOUSLY doubt that ANYTHING would show up at this time !!!
BUT, IF you insist, I will go there….
Thanks…..
You have been a great help to me in the past, With ALL due respect,see below:…
From post #8;…
There are 2 attachments below…The1st is my desktop normally & the 2nd is what I saw when I went offline….
Looks like something from outer space invaded my computer….
Now I have NEVER seen that graphic before EVER,& it's NOT part of ANY file OR program…
System restore was gone also,so I used Erunt to get rid of that "Alien"…<<
Wednesday evening I ran a DEEP scan with Avast…..Perfectly CLEAN…
Thursday AM ,I ran SpyBot……Full scan,Perfectly CLEAN….
So that pretty much ruled out my computer having any trojans,viruses ,etc….
I opened up a few of my desktop files & waddyaknow???..They worked perfectly….
Copy & paste returned & so did this thing >>"|"….
What I did next was to remove IE-7 & re-install it…..Waddyaknow ?? It fixed the prob!!!
What I don't know is IF this "Glitch" is related to my "Email with Video Probs" OR not….
From post #9;…
I was thinking that maybe someone from the Malware/Virus Removal Forum would drop by & take a look at that "Alien" & may be of some help….Rather than me going in there , starting a new thread ,posting the pix ,etcRemoving & then Re-installing IE-7 apparently solved my problem….
Emails etc are working fine…..
Now the question of the day is:..
WHAT caused it ???I would like to avoid this problem in the future….
Problem is: Don't know how I got it…
SOOOooooo , IF , anyone knows ANYTHING about this , PLEASE speak up….
Maybe someone from the HJT thread,a malware specialist ??? <<<
WHERE did that Space Alien on my desktop come from ???
I was smart enough to capture a picture of that "Alien" before I used Erunt to back up to an earlier date & to show you OR anyone else who may know what that's all about…THAT ALIEN IS a LOGO of the problem & I'm CERTAIN that somebody somewhere has seen it & knows exactly what it represents….Since you posted the picture with the red-alien character, I took that to mean the the image was still appearing as your Desktop and that it was unwanted, placed there against your will.
My questions are listed above & I would REALLY like answers to them IF anyone here knows…..This has to do with keeping my computer healthy & virus etc free….
The fact that the "Alien" was put on my computer as a desktop display bothers me to no end…
Needless to say I'm upset…
Someone somehow got past a Firewall & Avast to change my desktop against my will….
As you can tell , the "Alien" IS gone….If it is now gone and you have no problems with re-directs, and other symptoms, then you can decide for yourself about getting a checkup.
I will pass for now on a check-up….
My computer seems to be working fine at this time…..
Identifying the culprit would be a BIG help…..Let us know how we can best help.
Thanks for your anticipated help…..Later….Ron.M….
Of course you are right, that some experienced Malware Fighter may happen along and recognize the culprit's identity.
Unhappily, that would not likely give you any additional clues of "where and how" it came your way, even though if might identify "what" it was.
"how" is generally "clickety-click" on email attachments, banner ads, and embedded links at websites.
"where" is generally unsolicited email and third-party advertisements spots on otherwise innocent websites.
It's an exciting and interesting internet world out there, but dangerous too.
I'm sure you've made use of many of the suggestions offered here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Security_Bes…ntion_f166.html
Be careful out there my friend.
Doug
FYI:…I'm VERY paranoid about where I go on the web….
I also NEVER in a blue moon open ANY attachments in my emails UNLESS I KNOW who they're from…
I run Avast , updated SpyBot & MBAM on a regular basis…..Avast IS active when I'm online….
Something somehow someway corrupted IE-7 , installed an "Alien" for my desktop, & removed copy & paste, & Windows "Restore" functions…..
Since I'm VERY careful with where I go online & what I click on ,that p.i.s.s.e.d me off…
(We have a censor here….p.i.s.s.e.d. without the periods changes to "mad"
So, it appears I'll never know how it happened….
THANK you VERY MUCH for your efforts…..
I REALLY APPRECIATE IT…..
Later….Ron.M…..
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI