This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] winupdate malware and possibly more

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

If you have moved any files between the drives at all, then yes, it means all the drives.


If I only moved for example non of the files that can be infected were moved between the external drives since the infection does that still count?

Also what about the partitions? If E partition is infected does that mean C automatically is also?
Hi, I know if it were my machine, I would reformat everything, otherwise I don't think I would be able to trust it entirely, but I understand your reluctance to so this as reloading programs etc. can be time consuming. i don't know for certain about whether one partition is safe from an infected partition so I will consult with colleagues and advise as soon as I can.
EnigmaChick, I don't believe it is worth the risk trying to save anything. Another way to look at it is, have you ran any executable file (.exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files…) from any of the other partitions since you were infected? If so, you're hosed. And secondly, do you know when you were infected? Virut can lay dormant for significant periods of time.
Hi, I have found out some more information on this. The problem with Virut is, you don't know what's infected till you try running your computer again and yes, it infects across partitions. It has been known to blast OEM Recovery partitions it's an autorun virus, so yes, it can jump to external drives.
I haven't run any of those type of files from any external drives since I was infected(I know when I was infected because I stupidly didn't scan a file that started this whole mess!). I only copied 2 data files since then to the external drive, I've decided that for now I can't afford to format that drive because I bought a second hand PC and the only copy of the drivers(including the most important, the Ethernet) I placed on it for safekeeping. However I used a program to back up all my drivers to a .exe file and if I reformat it I wont be able to access the Internet and therefore not be able to get a copy of any of the drivers for my motherboard. I considered getting another copy from a different computer and burning it to a DVD or CD or a new flash drive but the issue is for now I don't have access to that option. I'm not sure if it can infect the dll files included in drivers but even if it didn't I have no idea where they're located to back them up and what the exact files would be needed for at least the Ethernet connection. When I can work out a way of getting a copy of the drivers onto a CD or DVD or a new flash from another computer I'll probably reformat the external drive. I'm grateful for all your help, it's a bit of a catch 22 for me currently.
Hi Problem with virut is no-one really knows for certain what it can infect and how, as it changes and behaves differently on different systems. Don't take chances. Read the information provided - especially the blog by miekimoes. Good luck ~CB
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI