Tennafa
Topic Starter
Software
Feeling Like a Complete Idiot
16 min read
8210GUY
Well the most obvious issue would appear to be something was disturbed, but of course it could also be simply a case of coincidence, now although compressed air is the suggested way to clean inside, I can only assume (having never used this method) that if too close to something loose\delicate it could be powerful enough to dislodge or blow something off, eg a jumper, now you don't mention about exactly what is happening, not booting is a bit vague, so if you could be more specific then it may offer more clues, eg do the fans spin ? do you see the bios screen ? are there any beeps etc ?
But systems these days often come without ANY disks, it's all preloaded on a hidden partition, and pressing a specific key(s) at boot often loads to the recovery console to reinstate the system to out of the box state, as though your firing it up for the 1st time, but it's always suggested to create a recovery disk yourself as a 1st job when getting a new system.
Now you mentioned unplugging everything and putting it back in, could you be more specific please, does everything mean literally every cable ? what about re-seating the ram\video card ?
There is a possibility that your cleaning it was simply coincidence, and it is some kind of failure somewhere unrelated to the cleaning, to check this we need to go back to basics, eg unplugging\removing everything except the minimum needed to run the system, eg 1 stick on ram, only the hard drive(s) with the OS on, case fans, BUT, do NOR unplug the CPU fan, only the other ones, see what this does.
Maybe try different sticks of ram, different slots, try booting with no ram, then with ram in place try with no video card, doing this should provoke beeps, take note of the number\pattern of these so we can check they are correct for that system, we would also need to know the bios makers as the codes vary among them, eg Amibios etc, see if any of this helps.
Tennafa
By not booting I mean that I turn on the computer and nothing happens other than the computer turns on. The fans all work, Ive checked the connections inside the computer and everything is the way it should be, as in nothing is loose or seems too wiggly. What I meant when I said Ive unconnected everything I meant everything outside the system, for instance, the monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.
I don't get the BIOS screen, all I get is a screen that says BIOS settings and Boot Menu to which I hit F10 and nothing happens. Nothing beeps. Compressed air isn't really strong enough to dislodge or loosen cables, cords, etc inside a case. Honestly, I just need to know if there is a place where I can purchase a recovery disc for Windows Vista or better yet a boot disc so I can get my system back running again. Thanks, tho, for your ideas and suggestions.
8210GUY
I agree that it "shouldn't" of disturbed any cabling, but jumpers are not so securely held, so I was wondering if one of these may of been disturbed more than a cable.
The fact you can see writing coming up means the video card is working, so that seems fine, if you want to activate the recovery to get it back to out of the box state you will need to access the recovery menu, this varies between makers, if you can tell us the make\model of your system we can hopefully tell you how to access this.
JeremyNZ
**before doing any of the following steps make sure to ground yourself or wear an anitstatic strap and have the PC completely powered off**
Visually check that nothing has dropped onto the motherboard, like a screw etc. Double check cables again, especially the 12v supply to the CPU (should be located somewhere near the CPU/fan/heatsink) if your computer has one of these, I've known these to just fall out sometimes, it should beep if this happens but not always
Next make sure that all the PCI cards, PCIE etc are plugged in securely, as unplugging devices can move the cards slightly in the slots.
Next Try to minimize what you have plugged in, try just a keyboard, monitor, and the hard drive with OS on it (and obviously power), you can even disconnect the floppy disk drive if you have one and CD/DVD drive IDE and/or SATA cables, if this works then one by one plug other devices back in as you keep restarting until you recreate the problem.
If still nothing then you could try, if you have more than one memory module, to remove one, try booting up the PC. If unsuccessful then swap the memory modules and try again (put them into Slot 1 or lowest labeled number slot). It sounds like your PC is not even testing the RAM at this stage, so unlikely this is the problem. Even removing all memory modules to try and get your computer beeping at you would be a good sign.
Other things to check is the power supply if you have a spare you can test on it that may help or the SATA/IDE cables
Is there any chance that a static charge has gone through the motherboard?
When you unplugged the computer how long did you leave it unpluuged for?
Tennafa
8210GUY: It's a cheapie Emachines T5226 Desktop PC with an Intel Pentium D processor. I've taken the side off to check the jumpers and they all are secure in their slots. I didn't mess with them too much other than to make sure they were secure then put the side back on. I still only get that one screen or a black screen when I turn it on. Thanks again for your help.
JeremyNZ: I'm pretty sure ESD didn't run thru it. I made sure to have sneakers on plus made sure the computer was located in a well grounded area before taking the side panel off. I am extremely careful with my electrical components. I've already done everything that you have suggested to see if it was a single component keeping it from running. Thanks tho for your suggestions.
Abydos
When you reseated all the parts, did you place your RAM in the same place as before?
If you have two or more RAM modules, remove one and try to boot on the other.
Place it in different slots, starting with the one closest to the CPU I think it is.
Make sure they "click" in place.
Swap around if no good, provided you have more than one RAM module of course.
Also make sure, you didn't blow any dust down in the RAM slots!
Tennafa
When I blew out the dust inside the case, I didn't take anything apart to do that. I simply used an air can to blow out the dust and wiped out with a clean paper towel any dust that fell down on the case floor. I only have one stick of RAM, it being a cheapie computer, so if the RAM is messed up I would have to replace that.
I guess I should explain that I'm currently in school to learn how to fix and maintain computers so for me to not have backups and recovery discs handy is just shameful and inexcusable. I'm not quite comfortable enough to actually take one apart and try to fit it back together yet, which is why I didn't mess with anything except making sure things were secure in their slots after I cleaned it out. Thank you for helping me tho, I really do appreciate this and hopefully one day I can fix these things myself.
Abydos
Any bulging capacitors? Especially near the CPU.
BadCap.jpg
Tennafa
No bulging capacitors.
Abydos
Hmmm. Weird problem, unless we are talking a faulted mainboard.
Tennafa
Tell me about it. I've cleaned out my computers before and never had such a problem happen to any of them. I've cleaned out the one in question too and it's always ran afterwards with no problems. My main question is, is there someway I can get it to boot so I can at least get some of my data off of it? I know I should have made backups already but I learned all that a bit late
Thanks for your help.
Abydos
Do you get any Beep codes? As jeremyNZ briefly mentioned.
If so, please notice how many, long or short ones (much like morse-code)
Then post the name of your mainboard (make and model)
If you look at this page, where the boot sequence is described, your computer
doesn't get past step 3. It stops at a fatal error. But the PSU will still power the fans
at this stage, because they are not dependent of any instructions.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/bootSequence-c.html
If so, please notice how many, long or short ones (much like morse-code)
Then post the name of your mainboard (make and model)
If you look at this page, where the boot sequence is described, your computer
doesn't get past step 3. It stops at a fatal error. But the PSU will still power the fans
at this stage, because they are not dependent of any instructions.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/bootSequence-c.html
Abydos
Slave it to another computer should do the trick. This is not software, but hardware. Or place it in a USB drive enclosure, and hook it up as a external drive.is there someway I can get it to boot so I can at least get some of my data off of it?
I know I should have made backups already but I learned all that a bit late
Thanks for your help.
Which I am sure you don't forget again
Doug
Long-shot:
I have experienced machines having "extra stuff" rattling around inside when they first come to my bench for attention.
Usually it is a screw that should have been securing a PCI card bracket has come loose and is rolling around on the floor of the case.
Then if case is moved or placed on side during cleaning, the screw or part can roll/slip under the motherboard.
Gently rotate the case to allow gravity to do its work while carefully listening for any rattling.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI