Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Blank Web Page

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 JackieDawn

JackieDawn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

Ok, well now when I open my webpage it is no longer blank. I have set Yahoo as my homepage for the time being. But... I am still having probs with clicking on links and nothing happening. I clicked on the PCPitstop and tried to click on "create free account" and nothing happened. However; when I signed back on it asked me if I wanted to make Internet explorer my default browser and I checked yes I do not know what IE it is though because when I click on help and then about IE it does not say what version it is. AND I cannot see it in the add and remove programs.

Edited by JackieDawn, 30 June 2009 - 09:48 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

what version did it say you had and what did you do according to my last post?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#18 JackieDawn

JackieDawn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

Sorry about that I was tired when I posted last night. It said I had IE 7 and I uninstalled it. Then when I signed back in, a page came up and asked if I wanted to make IE my default browser, and I checked yes. It looked as though it was IE 8, because when it was done, it said "congratulations you have just installed IE 8" But when I open help it does not say IE 8. Are you able to remote into my desktop? (I just read your profile page, but I could not leave a comment, when I click on leave comment nothing happens. But I noticed you are from michigan. I live in Ludington, Michigan. Congrats on your new baby! I pray that God blesses you and your family in all you do.

Edited by JackieDawn, 01 July 2009 - 08:46 AM.

#19 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

HI Jackie. Sorry, I have been really busy today.

Please download Dial-A-Fix. Open the .zip file that you downloaded and run the dial-a-fix.exe file. When dial-a-fix runs, click the little hammer icon near the bottom of the window to bring up the tools menu. Scroll down to repair/reinstall IE. Select it, and click GO. If you are prompted for your windows xp disc, or other installation media, please BROWSE to C:\Windows\I386 and see if the files can be found there.

When finished, make sure you reboot your computer.

If you run into any errors, please post them back here.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#20 JackieDawn

JackieDawn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

I was able to click the download and it ran ...BUT...when I opened the file this error came up in a seperate box: ! C:\Documents and Settings\Online College class\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QTV8MKRX\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24[1].zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged ! Cannot execute "C:\DOCUME~1\ONLINE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX22.062\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24\Dial-a-fix.exe" Ok ... I went to the second option on the Dial-a-fix page and it brought the box up with the hammer on it. I clicked on the hammer I could not find C:\Windows\I386 I did click yes all the way through it though. After restarting my computer I still have the same problems. Like I still cannot click on certain buttons to open things

Edited by JackieDawn, 01 July 2009 - 08:49 PM.

#21 JackieDawn

JackieDawn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

I just discovered something.... I am able to log on to pages with mozilla firefox web browser. I cannot logon to the web pages (like my bank account) with IE but can do it with Mozilla Firefox. Hmmmmm

#22 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:08 AM

I want to know which version of internet explorer is installed.

You are saying that you don't see the version in the Help -> About splash screen, but I assure you it should be there. Please take another look.

Read this article for further assistance: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/164539

You were not real clear on what process you performed above. I read your previous post before you edited it. So, what do you mean you used the second option on the dial-a-fix page? Do you mean you tried downloading it from a different location? And, when you ran the repair/reinstall IE option, what were the results? Did it complete successfully? Were you asked for the CD or certain files? Were there any errors? I wasn't aware you had to click Yes all the way through anything?

Please remember I am not looking at your screen so my troubleshooting can be only as good as the information you are giving me. Please be specific. Thanks.

Its great that FireFox is working, but we need to determine what is wrong with IE because this will effect other aspects of your computer, as you have already seen.

#23 JackieDawn

JackieDawn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

Sorry for not being more specific. I forget that you cannot see exactly what I am talking about. Ok here is a detailed description: Ok, I am looking at the About IE right now, and it has 4 squares that are kind of overlapping one another and the blue one has an “e” in it. Then one is green, one is red, and the other is yellow. Because I could not find the version in the about IE I followed the instructions on the site you gave me and typed: cmd /k reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer" /v Version In the run box. It says that I am running version 6 Now on the Dial-a-fix: 1. There was 2 download choices; primary (recommended) and secondary. When I tried the primary nothing happened. 2. When I did the secondary these are the steps I followed I opened it, clicked on the hammer, clicked on repair/reinstall IE, a confirm box came up and I clicked “YES” on that. Then another box came up with “Files Needed” it request a CD. I do not have the CD so I followed your instructions and typed: C:\Windows\I386 but that was nowhere on my computer. After that I just closed out of the box. There was a confirm box that read: Reset all IE defaults? This will set IE as your default browser, reset all of the search and error pages, and several other IE settings. It will only take a few seconds. I clicked “YES” after that it looked like a refresh because all my desktop icons blinked. But My IE is still acting the same. 3. I just did all these steps one by one so I could tell you how I did it. But this time these did not come up: ! C:\Documents and Settings\Online College class\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QTV8MKRX\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24[1].zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged ! Cannot execute "C:\DOCUME~1\ONLINE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX22.062\Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24\Dial-a-fix.exe" 4. Ok the above information is everything that I did in detail.

Edited by JackieDawn, 02 July 2009 - 09:36 AM.

#24 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

That helps a lot then.

So, actually, the repair/reinstall of IE did not take place because you cancelled out of that.

During the install of IE it will look for several files. If it can't find them it will ask where they are. The best thing to do is to use an XP cd to restore the files. However, if the files aren't damaged, they should be on your computer somewhere. If it is a name brand machine, the manufacturer probably placed the windows files on the hard drive somewhere.

Try opening my computer and searching for "I386" (That's the letter I, not the number 1). Look for any folders it may find that are called I386. Let me know what ones you find if any. Any I386 folder that you find will probably contain the files that you need during the reinstall. If you direct it to that location during the repair/reinstall it should load the files and finish the repair.

#25 JackieDawn

JackieDawn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

Is there another way to do a search on the computer besides using "search"? My search comes up blank. The little dog is there but the rest is black with no writing or nothing.

Edited by JackieDawn, 02 July 2009 - 11:59 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

Hi Jackie... The problems just never end. :)

Do this please...

Click start -> run -> type cmd and press ENTER.

Copy the following command to the command prompt window and press ENTER.

dir /ad c:\I386 /s > %userprofile%\desktop\postme.txt

Let the command run. It will take a while. When it is finished you will be return the the C:\Doc&Settings...> prompt.

When it is finished, plesae find the postme.txt file on your desktop and attach or copy and paste it to the forum so I can take a look at it.

#27 JackieDawn

JackieDawn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:41 PM

Wow! I am going to throw my computer!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I opened run> typed cmd > pasted dir /ad c:\I386 /s > %userprofile%\desktop\postme.txt It says: the system cannot find the file specified Now what?

#28 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

Lol... Whoops...

For the first time, its not your computer! It does the same thing on my computer. I should test these commands before passing them along I guess.

Try this:

dir /ad c:\I386 /s > "%userprofile%\desktop\postme.txt"

#29 JackieDawn

JackieDawn

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Sorry I have not replied sooner. My son surprised me and came home for the holiday! He was here for 10 days! Yay!!! but anyways here is the postme txt: Volume in drive C has no label. Volume Serial Number is 3C9F-2D9C Directory of c:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-11_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_54435\Driver\SBDrv\RAID 11/24/2007 10:16 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\ATI\SUPPORT\7-12_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_55811\Driver\SBDrv\RAID 12/29/2007 02:03 AM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-10_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_69561\SBDrv\RAID 10/31/2008 03:18 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-3_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59746\Driver\SBDrv\RAID 04/03/2008 01:33 AM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib 06/25/2009 08:24 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache 04/16/2009 03:02 AM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0004\DriverFiles 12/07/2006 10:28 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0007\DriverFiles 12/07/2006 10:28 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0008\DriverFiles 12/07/2006 10:28 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0009\DriverFiles 05/17/2008 05:49 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0011\DriverFiles 05/17/2008 05:50 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0012\DriverFiles 08/25/2008 01:02 AM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\XPSEP 11/07/2007 05:57 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\XPSEP\i386 11/07/2007 05:57 PM <DIR> i386 0 File(s) 0 bytes Total Files Listed: 0 File(s) 0 bytes 14 Dir(s) 380,973,056 bytes free

#30 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

Hi Jackie.. Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner. This thread kind of slipped my mind. It never hurts to post a reply and say, "Hey, whats up with you man!!!" :) Then I get an e-mail, then you get a response.

Anyways, we had quite a mess going, but my ultimate intention was to get Internet Explorer 6 reinstalled.

From your last reply there are no windows installation files on your hard drive.

Let's try reinstalling Internet Explorer 6 w/ SP1 by downloading it from this link: http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

If you can't download it with IE, then use FireFox. Run the installation file that you downloaded and see if it will reinstall IE6. Then, see if things seem to function properly with IE.