This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Wirless HP Assistant Not Finding Networks

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

To start off, I tried everything to fix this. I tried multiple restarts, research, repairing the drivers, etc., but nothing works. My problem, is that I can't find any networks to connect to the Internet from. I know that the HP Wireless Assistant isn't the problem because it turns off/on fine. Here's what I think happened: The other day, I bought an iPod Touch and wanted to connect to Wi-Fi with it. So I went to wifi.com, downloaded the software and installed it. To set up the Wi-Fi connection, I needed to choose the network that I use on my laptop. So I double-clicked on the network and I got the (Not Responding) message. So the program shut itself down and so I opened it up again to try again. This time, I could find no networks through the Wi-Fi program. In a panic, I looked to my little Internet Connection System Tray Icon and, to my dismay, it had that big red X. So, I don't know what the problem is. I was on the Internet and everything was going swell until I opened up that Wi-Fi software. I uninstalled the software, but it didn't change a thing. So after several hours of research, cursing, and several broken knuckles, I come here to seek some answers. I don't really know what information you need about my computer. It's an HP Pavilion dv2000 and the operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium. And that's all I know about my computer. It would be really appreciated if you guys can help me out with this because I'm lost on my own. Thanks in advance.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, that was one of the last things I tried before coming here. There was one restore point which was right before I installed that Wi-Fi carp**. I tried to use it but it said that it failed to because there was a corrupt file on the C: drive or something along those lines. Now when I go to System Restore there are no restore points.
Open Device Manager (Start / Run type devmgmt.msc and press Enter)and see if there are any red or yellow marks in the Network Connections area for your Wireless device. If there are, right click on the device and select Uninstall. Click Yes when asked if you really want to do this.

Reboot XP and let it rediscover the device and reload the drivers, see if that helps.

If not, post the output of ipconfig /all here:
  • Click on Start then Run
  • Type cmd and press Enter or click OK
  • Type ipconfig /all and press Enter
  • Right click on the command prompt window title bar, select Edit then Mark
  • Use the mouse to select all the output from the ipconfig command, them click the right mouse button. This will copy the data to the clipboard.
  • Start a new post here and paste the data you copied into it.
Everything appeared to be normal in the Device Manager. Well, here's the data you requested. Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mike-PC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D3-FA-ED-EF DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6039:bdd8:9b8e:deea%8(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:29:48 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 29, 2009 1:30:36 AM Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : [removed] 85.255.112.9 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.home Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.home Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Hi
This doesn't look good……
Unless yyou have strong reasons for using a DNS server in the Ukraine, then your machine has likely been infected……… to check on this as a matter of urgency please post an HJT log over in:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/HijackThis_L…emoval_f27.html
(not here please)
and a trained malware fighter will analyse your log and advise you on the specific cleaning steps you will need to take.
For detailed instructions on how to do this, please see here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html (How to download HJT and where to post it)
when posting your HJT log please provide them with a link to this thread here…….Your topic header should be "Referred by paws!
Regards
paws
Also, I don't see a Wireless network device, just the Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet.

The HP web site has this listed
Driver - Network	  Date	  Version	  Previous	  Size
»	  Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers for Microsoft Windows Vista
	07-2007 	7.00 F 	»  Version: 	4.91M
»	  HP Wireless Assistant
	01-2007 	3.00 D 	»  Version: 	3.2M
»	  Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Vista
	01-2007 	5.00 B 	»  Version: 	3.79M
»	  Support Software for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless Technology (Microsoft Vista)
	12-2006 	6_0 C 	- 	43.52M
So you should see a Intel Pro Wireless device listed under Network Connections in Device Manager. Something like this:
[attachment removed]

I have my Ethernet connction disabled since I only use wireless.

Once you have the all clear from the malware forum, come back here if the problem is still there.
I'm back at this thread. I got rid of all the malware but my wireless thing is still busted. @Ztruker, yeah I have the Intel PRO/Wireless thing listed in my device manager as well as the Ethernet.
Mike, it may show in Device Manager but I don't see anything about it when you did the ipconfig /all. That tells me it's not working.

Were there any yellow or red marks by the Intel PRO/Wireless device in Device Manager? In any case, from Device Manager, right click on the Intel PRO/Wireless entry and select Uninstall. Reboot and let XP reload the driver, see if that helps.
It did not have any yellow or red marks by it. I tried your suggestion; I uninstalled it, restarted my computer, it sad that the drier was reinstalled successfully, but it didn't change anything.
Mike, if you run ipconfig /all from a Command Prompt, does it show any information for the Intel Wireless device?

Try this also:
  • Right click on My Computer and select Properties
  • Click on the Advanced tab
  • Click on the Environmental Variables button
  • Click the New button under the User variables for xxxxx" area.
  • Set the Variable name as: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
  • Set the Variable value to: 1
  • Click OK as needed to close all the windows you opened.
  • Open Device Manager (Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager)
  • Click on View then Show hidden devices.
Now expand the Network Connections area then uninstall all entries. Reboot, let XP rediscover everything and see what happens.
I don't see anything: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mike-PC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D3-FA-ED-EF DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6039:bdd8:9b8e:deea%8(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 01, 2009 7:34:30 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 02, 2009 7:44:41 PM Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.home Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:2026:785f:9d91:5ca7(Pref erred) Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2026:785f:9d91:5ca7%9(Preferred) Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : :: NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.home Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Alright, I did all of that and I am restarting now. I should also note that, even though there are no yellow/red markings, one adapter is more transparent than all of the others. It is called RAS Async Adapter.
That looks like before, no wireless device.

Let's try going back and letting Windows manage your wireless device, see what that does.

To have Windows XP manage your wireless network connection, do the following.

1. Open Services (Start then Run, type services.msc and press Enter)
2. Double click on Wireless Zero Configuration
3. Set Startup type to Automatic
4. Click the Start button to start the service
5. Click Apply then OK
6. Open Network Connections.
7. Right click on Wireless Network Connection, select Properties.
8. Click the Wireless Networks tab and check the "Use Windows to configure my
9. wireless network settings" box.
10. Click OK.

Shutdown and reboot to have this take effect. Any wireless connectivity? What does ipconfig /all look like now?
RAS Async Adapter - that is normal. I've seen that on every machine I've looked at. I can't find any useful information on it, so I just ignore it.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI