okay – after uninstalling all HP, I went into program files to delete the folders and it gave me an error: hpgs2wnf.exe Access Denied and I went into task manager and closed the running program, but still no luck deleting the folder.
Also, in the device manager, I had all devices you mentioned (Imaging Devices, Printers, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, and the two IEEE 1284), but after uninstalling, I only have (Imaging Devices, Universal Serial Bus Controllers) and none are "greyed" out anymore, so I did not get a chance to delete them as I uninstalled first – just want to make sure if this is okay.
I researched your Javascript error in Firefox. It appears a lot of people started having this problem a couple days ago.
Most likely, Gmail messed something up while they were updating or modifying the website. There really doesn't appear to be a solution at this time. Probably just a waiting game while they figure out what they messed up.
My only suggestion is that you can probably use IE on gmail for a while. The problem is just too new, and there are no solutions found at the moment. If the problem persists after a week or two, there will probably be a fix posted somewhere on-line that we can revisit.
It appears to be related to messages that have attachments.
Ok… After the uninstall of the HP software, it would not have removed some of those greyed out items, especially what is listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. You don't delete the entire category, just the "greyed" out items like "USB Composite Device." Do this for all greyed out items listed in those categories I previously mentioned.
Do not worry about deleting the program folder of the HP software. Just continue on course with my previous directions, please.
Thanks for that info.
So, I rebooted my system and installed the HP, but received an error about Java Virtual Machine and then it said after I hit okay, that the everything was installed completely and to reboot for it to take affect, which I did not do yet…
I just saw your reply; I never deleted anything that was "grayed out" because you mention to first uninstall, which I did, and when I went back, nothing was grayed out anymore and I only had Imaging Devices and Universal Serial Bus Controllers showing and the rest disappeared I am assuming due to the uninstall and I was able to finally delete the folder…
I wouldn't worry about the Java Virtual Machine error.
It looks like it may have tried to load something with IE, and its possible that Java is disabled right now due to the reset.
You may want to go to www.java.com and click "Free Java Download" to reinstall your current version of Java that you have. This is probably the easiest way rather than trying to take you through managing add-ons.
Don't worry anymore about deleting those devices in device manager. YOu have already installed the software and hooked the printer back up. Its too late for that now. Just see if things work like they are supposed to.
Please see my other message about the Javascript error and Gmail.
Yes, I did see that and read the link.
So, after rebooting my system, I was never prompt to plug in my printer and when installing, it never requested this as well. I will plug in and see what happens!
Okay, I plugged in and turned on and the software setup came up; however, I never received an option as you stated:
EDIT: During the HP software installation, choose to do a custom install, and then opt out of installing things like "Customer Participation", "HP Supplies", etc… Only install the necessary drivers and software for your printer, such as HP Image Zone if you like that product. It will give a description of each item. If you have a question post back and ask me about it before continuing. HP software is so bloated with junk its ridiculous, and even comes with its own "spyware" component now that it insists you need if you want your printer to work right, which is just a load of… Well, you get the picture.
So, when going through the setup stage via the software, I added all my personal info and when I tried to use the software, I received a MS C++ error (only once) and then trying to use the scan portion, I ended up getting the same errors as before. So, I switch it to work with WIN98/WINME in the compatible section, which did the same as before in that it shows a pop-up box "preparing to scan" for a second and disappears and nothing happens..
I did notice that when the software came up, it still had my original info inserted already, so it had this in memory somewhere!
Well, seems how this is related to a scanner issue and I mentioned that service we were having a problem with is related to scanners and cameras. It only makes sense that all this could be related.
Let's start by turning on the Windows Image Acquisition service again. We are going to have to find out why it is crashing or hanging up. Type this command at the command prompt:
sc config stisvc start= demand and press ENTER.
Let's reboot and see if your computer takes a long time to start up again. Also, retry your scan again. Lastly, let me know if you see any more visual C++ runtime errors. If you have left this software to run in compatibility mode somewhere, please turn that off and let it run normally.
I need to know if your computer took a long time to boot after re-enabling the "stisvc" service?
And, after doing this, the scanner function still does not work?
Please attach a new system log and application log.
I did not see that my system took longer to boot, but i will check this again, as I was doing something else and did not pay attention and still has issues…
system is booting up fast, so no problem there – just the scanning issues… And thanks for all the assistance up to this point as it is greatly appreciated!
I did some research based on new information I pulled from your logs.
You mentioned running the program in compatibility mode. I assume it is because you were researching the problem and found some information that may suggest that is a fix. Indeed, that does appear to be the fix. But, we need to make sure you are running the right file in compatibility mode. Here's instructions that should work for you.
I was experiencing the same problem on an HP Officejet d155xi connected to a network with JetDirect. What I did was browse to the hposcv07.exe executable in
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\Shared\Bin
right clicked on that, then set the compatibility mode to win98/me. Now when I hit the "scan to" button on the scanner, or open the HP Director and click on "Scan Picture", it's working properly.
Unfortunately, this is the reality of computing. Although everything about your computer can seem great, certain older programs inevitably get broken by newer updates and operating systems. The manufacturer's of these products do not take any time to provide updates or patches for the problem because they prefer you buy a whole new product. The software provided by HP is simply not compatible with your operating system and updates that you have. Hopefully the fix above, if applied correctly, will resolve your problem.
If you are able to restore scan functionality, please disable the stisvc again, reboot, and then see if the scanner still works. I don't want that service to cause you problems again.
the command to do so is: sc config stisvc start= disabled
Hopefully, this will wrap up your problems and your computer will be running smoothly the way you want it.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI