Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

[Closed] Virtumonde infection - after fresh XP install

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 dave_t

dave_t

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

Just installed XP and first scan I run in NOD32 finds an infection. Can't delete the file, NOD32 scan in safe mode crashes. Also can't delete the file in safe mode.

Here is my HJT log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:47:36 PM, on 6/9/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.cz/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0CF5D165-517E-48B6-B3C7-3054A24F8BF6} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\byXNeEUm.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {25B287D8-3AF1-4EC0-94CA-E7E4AECE4797} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: {1a418bde-d436-797b-f3d4-4388311bf9b4} - {4b9fb113-8834-4d3f-b797-634dedb814a1} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [egui] "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe" /hide /waitservice
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O20 - Winlogon Notify: byXNeEUm - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\byXNeEUm.dll
O23 - Service: Eset HTTP Server (EhttpSrv) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\EHttpSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Eset Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ekrn.exe

--
End of file - 3140 bytes

The problem is clearly the O20 - Winlogon Notify: byXNeEUm - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\byXNeEUm.dll, but I thought I'd check here to get rid of everything that looks suspicious.

Symptoms: slow connection to the internet occasionally. Windows Explorer error messages forcing me to restart explorer.exe.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

Hello dave_t,
Welcome to What the Tech.
My name is OCD, I will be helping you with your log today.

Please be advised, as I am still in training, all my replies to you will be checked for accuracy by one of our experts to ensure that I am giving you the best possible advise.
This may cause a delay, but I will do my best to keep it as short as possible.

I am checking over your HijackThis log now, I will post back shortly with instructions.

OCD

Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#3 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:39 AM

Hello dave_t,

• You may want to print out these instructions for reference prior to proceeding.
  • This solution is specifically tailored for this particular problem, please do not attempt to use this solution on another computer.
  • If you have any questions, or are uncertain about any steps please ask 'before' proceeding.
- - - - - Next - - - - -

Please temorarily disable your ESET NOD32 ANTIVIRUS
Please navigate to the system tray on the bottom right hand corner and look for a Posted Image sign.
  • click it -> click on the Posted Image button.
  • a popup will warn that protection will now be disabled. Click on "Yes" to disable the Antivirus guard.
You succesfully disabled the NOD32 Guard.

- - - - - Next - - - - -

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Download - http://www.nutnworks...ATF_Cleaner.exe
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main choose: Select All
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser
  • Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
  • NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser
  • Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
  • NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

- - - - - Next - - - - -

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a check mark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.< < Don't forget this!
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
    (The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.)
  • Copy and Paste the entire report in your next reply.
- - - - - Next - - - - -

Reboot, on your next post please provide the following:
  • MalwareBytes log
  • New HijackThis log
  • Tell me how your computer is running at the moment.

OCD

Member of UNITE

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#4 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:46 AM

Hello dave_t,

Just checking in to see if you are still in need of assistance?

OCD

Member of UNITE

#5 ken545

ken545

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 23,225 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Malware and cooking some great Italian and TexMex food
  • MVP

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

Due to inactivity this topic will be closed. If you need help please start a new thread and post a new HJT log

The forum is staffed by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.
If you feel you have been helped, please consider a donation.
donate.gif

Find us on Facebook
Please LIKE and SHARE

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.