This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] OS is right screwed.

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

G'day,
I'm doing a favour for a friend with an XP system that is running funky. I believe that it is deeply infected and I'm trying to decide whether the problems can be resolved or if I should just wipe (and lose it all). I have installed and implemented ERUNT and HiJackThis.

HiJackThis log following:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:16:08 PM, on 4/30/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\VIA\VIAudioi\HDADeck\HDeck.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Byrd\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

R3 - URLSearchHook: Winamp Search Class - {57BCA5FA-5DBB-45a2-B558-1755C3F6253B} - C:\Program Files\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: DAEMON Tools Toolbar - {32099AAC-C132-4136-9E9A-4E364A424E17} - C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Toolbar\DTToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Winamp Toolbar - {EBF2BA02-9094-4c5a-858B-BB198F3D8DE2} - C:\Program Files\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HDAudDeck] C:\Program Files\VIA\VIAudioi\HDADeck\HDeck.exe 1
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Winamp Search - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Winamp Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.6) - http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecal…ivex/hcImpl.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{67BCD24B-BDDC-44B6-A2CF-3E8A272F2AD9}: NameServer = 85.255.112.130,85.255.112.184
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.112.130,85.255.112.184
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.112.130,85.255.112.184
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
–
End of file - 2865 bytes


When I tried to open the C: drive I was slapped with this message:

Windows cannot find "RECYCLERS\S-0-8-89-100005779-100023611-100023351-3609.com". Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

I am thoroughly perplexed by this. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Edit: I already tried to search Google for the recently mentioned error message. I got no responses.
[external image: Posted Image]

Sorry about the delay in responding :(

If you still need help, Scan again with HijackThis, and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread.

Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI