I was wondering if anyone could answer my query regarding the following products:
Samsung Spinpoint F1
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
Western Digital Caviar and Velociraptor Firstly are they compatible with Laptops and secondly if it is suitable for the following makes of laptops:
Acer Aspire 7730 and an Acer Travelmate 2490. Thank you in advance.
Most drive models come in various formats.
A desktop is 3.5". A laptop is 2.5". The models you list come in both formats. You need the 2.5".
The next question is do you have the necessary disks to reload your operating system and drivers?
Many laptops only offer recovery partitions and not physical disks so if you remove the harddrive you remove the recovery system.
If you have physical disks then there should be no problem.
Hi Manicd,
You probably have it figured, but it may still be worth mentioning
Acer Aspire 7730 - uses SATA HD
Acer Travelmate 2490 uses ATA HD
it makes a difference.
I've got another question which is relevant to this thread. I am looking for a new HD because my old computer when I switch it on the following happens:
There is no HD beep only the fan spins
HD light doesn't flicker
&
Nothing appears on the screen
Is this the sign of a broken hard drive and therefore a new one is required?
No not really. If absolutely nothing appears on the screen and the BIOS does not beep then the BIOS is not even loading. The HDD is not even in the equation at this point.
Which computer are we talking about? Often the manufacturers support site will have troubleshooting steps.
Thanks for the link but I've tried some of the troubleshooting suggestions but none off them work. It seems the power supply is OK it just wont boot and nothing appears on the screen. This is for my Acer Travelmate 2492WLMI
Thanks again Ive already tried that as well I think its more than the actual power supply. It switches on but nothing is displayed on screen, the HD light doesnt flicker and there is no BIOS beep.