Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't read email at HotMail....

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

Sorry Ron,
I thought you were using a software Firewall and that I had just missed it somewhere in the Thread.

Windows Firewall does not pay any attention to "out-going" attempts to connect to the Internet.
Therefore
  • IE attempting to conntect to Internet
  • IE attempting to connect to SAFE Zone
  • IE attempting to act as Server

would all be allowed.
so no worries -- or in other words: "please ignore my previous suggestion." :)

As to turning off Windows Firewall...
Yes you can do that, but I hope you are cautious enough to not let the machine run any longer than to check HotMail only.
Then turn on that Firewall.

My opinion is that Windows XP Firewall is having no effect on your difficulty with Hot Mail.
But maybe the "Z" man is on to something. Just be cautious.

Do you use a download manager?
I looked "way" back into your thread regarding difficulties downloading Spybot.
You had to start over and over again, til finally one time it completed.

With a good download manager your download will resume at the same place where it may have timed-out.
Thus saving you the need to repeat the parts that already got downloaded.

I don't use a download manager, but there are some "safe" ones and some "scam" ones.

Maybe we can get some recommendations for you if you need one.

Call me cynical, but right now, I'd bet that NetZero has changed some settings and that is presently interferring with Hot Mail.
If so, it is likely to be temporary, since Hot Mail is popular enough that people would already be complaining to NetZero
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:39 AM

Is this problem ONLY with Hotmail? A quick search of Google - IE7 hotmail blank pages shows you are not alone. I don't see where you cleared the cache therefore I recommend first purging the hard drives of clutter with Windows (XP or Vista) Disk Cleanup, ATF Cleaner or CCleaner. If using CCleaner, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar during installation. Before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked. Know your site credentials (user names and passwords) for sites you frequent before cleaning; you may have to login again at next visit. Then see if it works.

If still no go, do you have Windows Live Messenger installed? Uninstalling Windows Live Messenger and reinstalling it using the Windows Live Installer has fixed this Hotmail blank page with IE7 problem for some. Also helpful was resetting the default Internet Properties > Security settings.

See also MS KB904942 - Install this update to resolve HTTP authentication issues in Windows-based systems that do not appear until Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 is installed.

and

IE7 Breaks Outlook Hotmail Integration
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#18 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

Ztruker, Doug, & Welcome back Digerati:...

1st:..Ztruker:..
I turned off Windows Firewall...NO help... :( ...

2nd:..Doug:..

I looked "way" back into your thread regarding difficulties downloading Spybot.
You had to start over and over again, til finally one time it completed.

I looked "way" back in my brains memory & could not find it.....I'm NOT saying it's not there , just that I can't remember it.... <_<

Do you use a download manager?

I think the answer to this is NO....I'm not familiar with what a "download manager" is....

I don't use a download manager, but there are some "safe" ones and some "scam" ones.
Maybe we can get some recommendations for you if you need one.

I'm interested & ready!!!

Call me cynical, but right now, I'd bet that NetZero has changed some settings and that is presently interferring with Hot Mail.
If so, it is likely to be temporary, since Hot Mail is popular enough that people would already be complaining to NetZero..

I'm not sure that NetZero has changed some settings since Digerati's post has info that this problem is widespread....AND it's NOT temporary!!!....:rant2: ...Up until today I would have TOTALLY agreed with you....

3rd:... Digerati:... Welcome back & GOOD to see ya again... :)

Is this problem ONLY with Hotmail?

Absatively posalutely YES!!

I went to Google - IE7 hotmail blank pages.......Man O' Man , did I open up a GIGANTIC can of worms here.....
It seems like 1000's of people have the same problem I have with few solutions!!! ...:(

I don't see where you cleared the cache therefore I recommend first purging the hard drives of clutter with Windows (XP or Vista) Disk Cleanup, ATF Cleaner or CCleaner. If using CCleaner, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar during installation. Before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked. Know your site credentials (user names and passwords) for sites you frequent before cleaning; you may have to login again at next visit. Then see if it works.

Been there , Done that MANY times.....

If still no go, do you have Windows Live Messenger installed? Uninstalling Windows Live Messenger and reinstalling it using the Windows Live Installer has fixed this Hotmail blank page with IE7 problem for some. Also helpful was resetting the default Internet Properties > Security settings.

Yes, Windows Live Messenger (On my "Program" list it says "Windows Messenger" so I think that's what you mean ??) is installed...I have no fear about un-installing WLM.....But how do I re-install it ??

MS KB904942 was installed automatically quite awhile ago.....

Finally:
I think you all have a real challenge here.....I'm NOT expecting a "miracle".....In view of the magnitude of this problem , we'll try a few things to fix it......After that, I'll toss in the towel....PLEASE don't get me wrong.......You guys ARE GREAT.......I seriously think that HotMail has the problem & needs to fix it.....I MAY be wrong....In any event, granted it would be better if I did have it , but I don't need HotMail & can get along quite nicely without it.....AND , more importantly , I do NOT want this thread to become another "YouTube" ......After this is posted I'm going to try HotMail in"Safe Mode with Networking" to see what happens....I'll Edit this or reply in a new post with the result....

Later fellas..... :popcorn:

EDIT:
OK, that idea didn't work....I restarted in "Safe Mode with Networking"......Tried to get online & it would NOT dial the phone number.....%$#(*@!!!...

Edited by Ron.M, 22 April 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#19 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Ron, how about dumping Hotmail and going to Yahoo mail or Gmail (Google Mail)?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#20 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

Ztruker:...

Ron, how about dumping Hotmail and going to Yahoo mail or Gmail (Google Mail)?

Sounds good to me !!!.... Sure beats messing around with HotMail....Which if any would you suggest ?? & can you give me a "how to" get there to set it up ?? Maybe a link ??

Thanks..... :D

#21 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Hi again Ron, I prefer G-Mail to all the on line services. It is setup by another users invite. If you send me an active e-mail address for yourself in a PM I will send you back an invite.

#22 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Double posted on me again, SORRY.... :smack: See next post.....

Edited by Ron.M, 23 April 2009 - 03:35 PM.

#23 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

Ztruker , Doug , Digerati & jephree:...

I have opened up a new email account at gmail.com.... :D
& kissed HotMail goodbye....

THANKS to EVERYONE for your efforts & help....

CASE CLOSED !!

#24 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

Or not....

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/090423/
gmail accounts hacked.

Sorry Ron

Gmail will probably respond with a fix.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#25 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

OOooH My Gaawwwd!!!
It seems like there's always a problem ! ! ! ! :pullhair:

Doug:...
I went to your link & checked out a lot of the info.....For now I'll stay with gmail.com......
I do not have ANY personal data entered there OR at ANY other website that would be worth hacking.....
NO credit cards , etc....I just primarily use it for notifications from WTT.....
So I think , even tho it's risky, I should be safe....
There's only one thing that I don't like about gmail so far....
That's when I log in , there's this squiggly series of letters you have to enter....
I have a problem trying to un-squiggle them....So it takes me few attempts to get in.....No biggie....
Otherwise I should be fine.... :woot:

Gmail will probably respond with a fix..

Apparently it's been a problem for a long time (Years)....I don't expect a fix anytime soon....

MANY THANKS..

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

That's when I log in , there's this squiggly series of letters you have to enter....
I have a problem trying to un-squiggle them....So it takes me few attempts to get in.....No biggie....

Hey Ron,

That should only happen when you first sign up. It is a process to determine that you are a human and not a bot.

It should not happen after that.

If it continues let us know and we can start searching for this issue.

#27 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

jephree:...

Everythings fine for now....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.....Ron... :popcorn:

#28 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

Some of them are very hard to read, especially when case matters. At some sites that use that "squiggly" character security feature, you will often find an option to display a different set of characters. I was surprised to find that frequently, the new characters are displayed in a clearly readable font - so I almost always get a new set to minimize getting it wrong. I wish more sites would do it that way.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#29 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

Digerati:...

jephree was right .....It happened just at signup only.....I just kept hitting "submit" until I got a set I could read....No big deal.....

I agree with everything you said below "my" quote in your post......

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.....Ron.... :popcorn:

#30 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Yes - he usually is. I mentioned that for future reference as you will likely run in that "feature" again.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────