This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win XP SP3 Driver Problems

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello All :wavey:

Looks like I did a BOO BOO!

Was attempting upgrade to recommended System Drivers from not to mention
So called Driver Detectives.
Now have lost my printer,
Not to mention USB ETC:
Also machine will not perform a System Restore!
What Now?
Any help is greatly needed.
Help! :smack:

Thanks, Marty
Hello Marty. How exactly did this happen? Did you uninstall the drivers before installing the newer ones? Also, can you list your system specifications so that we may manually search for the appropriate drivers? Thank you. – Mohit
Hello Marty. I think we are in a mess here because I too am unable to find the required drivers for you. I will need to search the manufacturer's site for each of your requirements so if you could kindly provide me with the make and model number of your printer, I might be able to set some things right.

There are plenty of causes that can lead to malfunctioning of USB devices. The article might provide a bleak ray of hope for you.

Advanced troubleshooting tips for general USB problems in Windows XP

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

– Mohit
Marty, what happens when you try to do a System Restore? Have you tried booting to Safe Mode and logging in as Administrator and running System Restore from there?
Rich,

I tried system restore in safe mode.
It goes through the process, but then states that
the machine was not restored to previous date.
I would really like to get this machine back to when things were normal.
Thanks All for your help.
Marty
Marty, do you have a XP install CD? If so, doing a Repair Install is always a n option if we can't fix this any other way.

First though, try the following.

Follow directions in this MS article, see if that helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

If not, before continuing which will make changes to the registry, please back it up. An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.


Then if something is deleted that shouldn't have been, simply go to the C:\Windows\erdnt folder and pick the erdnt.exe wanted to restore the registry to it's state when it was backed up. This can even be done from the Recovery Console if needed

Once that is done, try this:
  • Shutdown and unplug all USB devices, except USB mouse or keyboard.
  • Boot to BIOS Setup and load defaults (F5 or F9 usually).
  • Boot XP and create a new Environment variable called devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and set it's value to 1 as follows:
    • Right click on My Computer and select Properties
    • Click on the Advanced tab
    • Click on the Environmental Variables button
    • Click the New button under the User variables for xxxxx" area.
    • Set the Variable name as: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    • Set the Variable value to: 1
    • Click OK as needed to close all the windows you opened.
  • Open Device Manager (Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager)
  • Click on View then Show hidden devices.
  • Scroll down to USB and click on the plus to expand it.
  • Uninstall them one at a time. DO NOT uninstall your mouse if you are using a USB mouse.
  • Shutdown and reboot, let XP rediscover everything and load necessary drivers. This can take a few minutes, be patient.
Now try the USB device, see what happens.

An alternative would be to uninstall just the non-present USB devices (associated icon is dimmed). If that doesn't help, then uninstall as described above.

We'll work on the System Restore problem once the USB problem is resolved.
Hi Rich,
Thank You so much!

I had already downloaded and installed ERUNT last month.
Followed your instructions to restore to registry to it's state when it was backed up.
It worked like a charm.
My Machine is humming again.

Would you suggest to complete the rest of your Post?
Everything seems great now!

As you can see in my earlier Post, I still have issues using USB connected Devices.
Tried to use “Kingston 4GB Data Traveler 101,
But it to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Thanks. Again
Marty :)
That's good news Marty, glad to hear you're most of the way home :thumbup:

Since you are still having problems with USB, please complete the rest of the instructions.

Also, since your System Restore does not, please do the following:

Start / Settings / Control Panel
Double click on System.
Click on the Restore tab.

Check Turn off System Restore on all drives then click Apply.

That will delete all existing System Restore points, including any that are corrupted. Once that completes, reverse the process.

Uncheck Turn off System Restore on all drives then click Apply. That will create a new System Restore point of your system as it is right now. I can't guarantee that System Restore will work after this but it it has a better chance than what you now have.

While you're in there, select your boot drive (C: most likely) then click the Settings button. Move the slider for Disk space to use to the left until you get somewhere between 500MB and 1GB (mine is set at 640MB). The default value of 12% is way to much for most new, large hard drives, wastes space and contributes to System Restore problems.
Rich,


“Since you are still having problems with USB, please complete the rest of the instructions.”


Why is my machine asking for “NEW HARDWARE FOUND” every time I
Insert a device in a USB HUB?

EXP: DT 101 11, is KINGSTON 4GB DATA TRAVELER?

I Have no drivers, and good ole WIN XP will not load.

Have had this problem with most USB related devices.

Thanks,
Please address, Please see screen shot.

Marty
:smack:
Did you create the Environment variable called devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and use Show Hidden Devices in Device Manager to see all the "Ghost" devices XP remembers? Did you then uninstall all the "GHhost" USB entries?

Also, looks like you have at least 3 devices that do not have a driver installed.

DT 101 II
M19W
Modem Audio Device


The DT 101 II must be the KINGSTON 4GB DATA TRAVELER you mentioned earlier. Is there a driver for this device that you need to install?

Is M19W a LCD monitor? If so, did you install the driver for it?

Modem Audio Device is related to your Modem which you may or may not use and therefore may not care about.

I would right click and Uninstall each of these, then reboot and see what XP does. I would expect it to detect the LCD monitor and ask for the driver for it and likewise for the Modem Audio Device.

When you plug in the 4GB Kingston device, XP should load the driver if it already has it or prompt you for it.
Hi Rich,

As I stated, I followed your instructions to the letter.
I have given you screenshots of the USB DEVICES I have tried to attach to my machine.
I always get "NEW HARDWARE DETECTED(FOUND)" then "Win XP Plug & Play" will not find DEVICE DRIVERS.
Also any .EXE SETUP Programs seem to saying I need ADMIN, Priveliges?

I must say I bought this Machine from DELL and it was a "REFRUB",
I have tried BIOS upgrade and the whole works.

If I remember you had me do a clean profile.
For similar problems???

What now?

I'm just short of throwing this machine out the window.

Thanks again,

Marty :unsure:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI