Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

connection problems

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:collecting old watches, horse racing but not betting.<br />keeping fit , fishing off beach and swimming.

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:14 AM

Hi. It all looks OK at the moment. I think getting rid of F-Secure seemed to help a lot and a couple of other security software also. My ISP has put a monitor on my line for the weekend , they rang this morning nothing to report. I changed the ethernet cable dont know if it done any difference. I don't know what else to tell you , the speed is there , the links are moving fast nothing seems as if it wants to stop and think about which way it should go. So what do you think , is there anything you want to check ie: is the modem properly configured ,is Internet explorer working correctly,is there anything causing a conflict. As I still have my L plates on I don't know how to check or fix these problems or whether they are a problem to be looked into. I value your opinion. Do you think we have goen as far as you can go at this time as nothing is playing up. Ed
ed-e-dee

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#47 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

Well after reading all your previous threads and posts I had to finally look up L plates:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-plate

I had never heard that term before. I thought it might have to do with surgically implanted plates or some such.

Guess I have L plates too,

I'd say see how it goes through the weekend. Try the laptop too. If your grand kids are on line please tell them not to download anything nor click on any pop ups etc.

Let us know how it goes.

#48 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:collecting old watches, horse racing but not betting.<br />keeping fit , fishing off beach and swimming.

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

Aw sorry for the L plates I thought every country has them for all learner drivers. I have only played with my computer for a couple of years and most of this time was to read mail and send stuff to the kids, it's like having a box trailer sits in the shed and gets used when I remember that I have one. LOL.
ed-e-dee

#49 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Hello jephree. All seems to be going welll at the moment, my ISP did not find anything wrong ( thats what they say ) anyway I have only have had just a few hic cups where IE did'nt want to connect. So I guess there is nothing else for us to do for the moment I will have to put up with what ever happends , unless you have a few different ideas. It would be nice to have a clear computer . Thanks again.
ed-e-dee

#50 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Hello ed-e-dee,

There is never any reason for "putting up with whatever happens". If you are not fully satisfied with your computers performance there are always things we can try.

At the moment let us see if oldman960 has any ideas for you. I saw you post back there in your original thread.

If oldman960 has done all he can and you still are not totally satisfied with your performance please continue here.

I will be here.

Edited by jephree, 17 April 2009 - 06:05 PM.

#51 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

Thanks jephree. I really appreciate your generousity in time and help .
ed-e-dee

#52 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hello jephree. Back to you now , oldman960 has gone as far as we can go. I had a couple of dropouts yesterday and comp.became very slow, but 2day it's working OK. I still have not put back the phone filters after my ISP suggested to take them off what do you think putém on ?.
ed-e-dee

#53 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hi ed-e-dee,

Yes you should put them back on.

Your ISP only suggested removing them for your test as they also suggested removing all other devices.

As I understand their instructions they intended for you to reinstall the filters as you reinstalled your devices.

So yes the filters should be in place.

#54 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:10 AM

Hi jephree things seem to be ok , had a couple of hic cups this morning where internet light on modem stayed amber for quite a long time , I was in another forum ( car ) and light went off on modem now seems ok.
ed-e-dee

#55 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Hi ed-e-dee,

As posted earlier these are the LED "meanings":

Basically on the Internet LED:

Blink — Amber = Indicates ADSL training.
On — Green =The Internet port has detected a link with an attached device.
Blink — Green =Data is being transmitted or received by the Internet port.

On the LAN LED's (1,2,3,4,):

On (Green) = The Local port has detected a link with a 100 Mbps device.
Blink (Green) = Data is being transmitted or received at 100 Mbps.
On (Amber) = The Local port has detected a link with a 10 Mbps device.
Blink (Amber) = Data is being transmitted or received at 10 Mbps.
Off = No link is detected on this port.

If the amber is on the LAN light you see it is an issue of transfer rate from either the web site in particular or your ISP.

If the amber is on the Internet it indicates ADSL training. This could be line noise (no filters), or hardware firmware, or again a fault with your ISP.

A few interesting points in this thread with a very similar router model:

http://forum1.netgea...ead.php?t=14708

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#56 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Hi jephree. All is going well for now, I did give my ISP a shot up the arse so maybe they rectified their end. the last couple of days nothing has dropped out , so for now I guess we close this for now. thank you for your help Ed
ed-e-dee

#57 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

Hi ed-e-dee

Glad to hear it!

Let us know if we can help further with this or any other issues.

One classic quote by the way!

a shot up the arse so maybe they rectified their end

:woot: