Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

connection problems

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

Well I've done what I felt was right, there were a couple of sites that would not do the right thing very slow to open.

hope the scan is ok

Just use the laptop for a while. :)

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:collecting old watches, horse racing but not betting.<br />keeping fit , fishing off beach and swimming.

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

Hi Picked up the laptop this morning, it has taken nearly half hour for internet connection to work the modem kept flashing yellow, I have made a big complaint to my supp;ier and they will call me at midday to sort this connection out ..they did say that just before xmas last all their lines were changed to digital and there has been a few problems to some areas, Australian telco's are very slow to upgrade to new tech. This laptop is very slow it's a compaq presario c710tu. celeron 1.73GHz, 80GB HD, and 512mb ram. running Vista which is new to me. it is only 6 months old hardly been used, but it is painfully slow . I will see how I get on with Optus today and get back to you. thanks
ed-e-dee

#33 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:collecting old watches, horse racing but not betting.<br />keeping fit , fishing off beach and swimming.

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

G/day appleoddity. I got in touch with my ISP yesterday, they ran tests and found everything to be ok. I was reading my mail this morning and when I tried to open an attachment and got a cannot open the web page,when I clicked back I got the web page has expired. i'm finding the speed has incresed which is good but is this solving my problem , you mentioned something about my Mouse is there something there that I should look at?. Ed. Subject: Optus Direct Isolation Test Part(s): Message Source Save As Dear Edward, In response to your phone call yesterday, we requested you to do an overnight isolation test. This should have been with just the modem turned on and connected via a short telephone lead. There should have been no filters, phones, computers or other other devices such as faxes, alarms, Foxtel, extension leads etc, connected during this test As a result of the overnight test, we have seen that your connection has been stable with just the modem connected. This means that one or more of the other devices you normally have connected is probably causing the dropouts to occur. We have included a guide below, to further assist you in troubleshooting this issue. -------------------------------------------------------------- Isolation testing Guide. STEP 1. -- At any stage, the connectivity can be viewed by looking at the DSL light on the modem (this should be solid and not flashing). -- For very frequent dropouts, this can be monitored visually over a short period of time. -- If monitoring this is not practical, then it might be best to run these stages for a period of several hours or overnight STEP 2. -- Set up the system as you did for the overnight isolation test. -- If you usually use the modem via the filter, connect this now. -- The modem should be attached to the DSL socket on the filter. -- Do not add the phone or any extension lead as yet. STEP 3. -- Monitor the connectivity. -- If you start to get dropouts, then change to the second supplied filter and monitor again. STEP 4. -- If the connection is good, then add the first telephone to the filter, and check connectivity. -- Please note, cordless phones are a potential source of DSL dropouts. -- Sometimes, you may need to double the filters to these devices. -- If you have a cordless phone that is causing a problem, then it is worth trying this option. -- To double the filters, instead of plugging your cordless phone into the phone socket on the first filter, plug in the second filter. -- Then plug your telephone into the phone socket on the second filter. STEP 5. -- Continue to add various pieces of equipment, such as extension leads, other telephones, etc. -- Checking the connectivity after you add each one. -- You should be able to isolate the piece of equipment that is causing the dropouts, by this process. -------------------------------------------------------------- If you are unable to determine the source of the problem, or need further assistance with regards resolving the issue, then please contact our support group on 1300-739-407. Please note, if you have more than four telephone sockets in your residence or have a back-to-base alarm or other hardwired telephony device installed (as per our Terms of Service) you should consider contacting an ACMA approved electrician to look at installing a central filter at your own cost. Regards Andrew Optus Direct Support
ed-e-dee

#34 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

How long have you been using the laptop? What were the results? I do hope that you understand we are trying to isolate if it is your computer or your internet connection. At this point I don't care what your ISP says.

We need to isolate if it is your computer or something outside the computer. This is the whole purpose of hooking the laptop up and using it until you know for sure if the laptop is functioning normally on the internet or if it isn't.

Clicking back in a web browser often gives the page has expired errors. Thats normal.

Not being able to open one attachment is not telling me anything. Did you attempt to open it a second time? A third time? A fourth time? Did you wait 10 minutes and try it again? What were the results? Maybe it was a problem with the attachment. Maybe it was a problem with the internet. Maybe it was a problem with the laptop. You have to eliminate these things. I'm sorry, but if you are unable to determine if there is a valid problem browsing the internet while we try various things there isn't much else I can do.

You have to do some basic troubleshooting techniques. I can only explain so much. If you are having trouble understanding it, perhaps you should seek the assistance of a more technically savvy person?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#35 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

[quote name='appleoddity' date='Apr 9 2009, 12:51 PM' post='546916']
How long have you been using the laptop? What were the results? I do hope that you understand we are trying to isolate if it is your computer or your internet connection. At this point I don't care what your ISP says.

I have the laptop for the weekend only ,as yet I'm not having any problems using it .I have taken off the filter for the computer and double the filter on my cordless phone
which is on the main inlet plug,

I guess it has got to the stage where I have to just putup with my problem and let you go and get on with something more serious that other people have.
I'm 65 years old and have plenty of time to fiddle around your time is too valuable you could be spending more time with others.

What do you think give it a miss for now and see what happends later, I've got the grandkids over easter and they will most likely be playing on the computers.
ed-e-dee

#36 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

I do apologize that I don't have more patience to tackle this problem for you. I've got a lot going on right now. I have asked one of the other tech helpers to come along and assist you. I'm sure they will be glad to offer some fresh ideas as I am pretty burned out right now. Can you please clarify - You said you did not experience any internet troubles while using the laptop? And, you did use the laptop long enough to be reasonably sure that the internet is working fine on the laptop?

#37 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

Can you please clarify - You said you did not experience any internet troubles while using the laptop? And, you did use the laptop long enough to be reasonably sure that the internet is working fine on the laptop?

hello.
I did'nt use laptop for very long last night about an hour but it was painfully slow ,,I did'nt experience any trouble in that time.
I felt that internet was working fine.

I do appreciate your time and help and I felt your frustion as well as my own .
Do hope you and yours have a happy easter.
ed-e-dee

#38 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:14 AM

G/day ed-e-dee.

I will try a fresh approach to your issues.

First off that laptop:

compaq presario c710tu. celeron 1.73GHz, 80GB HD, and 512mb ram. running Vista

would be slow to anyone. That hardware barely meets the requirements of that software.

Next: Did you follow all your ISP's points as to filters etc. ?

Next:

At any stage, the connectivity can be viewed by looking at the DSL light on the modem
(this should be solid and not flashing).

The first step in isolating your issues between the computer and your ISP is to monitor theses modem lights.

Can you verify as per your ISP's information that your modem is displaying the proper light structure?

Usually there are 4 lights: DSL | Power | Ethernet | Internet

All should be solid green with the exception of Ethernet which will flash/blink green as data is transported.

The only exception to this would be if your modem is connected to a router/network in which case your Internet light would be OFF as it has been bridged to the router.

#39 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

G/day jephree. Ok I will change the laptop back to my desktop. Followed everything that my ISP had suggested to do, I have found that connection has been much so far OK, On the modem/router I only have 3 lights going Power / Internet / Ethernet. and it is the Internet that keeps flashing yellow. I'm noe to change computers.
ed-e-dee

#40 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

G/day ed-e-dee. Let us know how the current situation is with your desktop. Also just to expedite questions I have a few. Pardon me if I reiterate previous data but I've only briefly scanned your previous posts. Can you verify that you have a single modem setup? In other words no router or network involved? Can you also look on the bottom of your modem and give us any parts or serial numbers? Also as to the yellow flashing LED: does this ever flash green? Did you ever notice a different type of signal when things were working OK? Lastly I will just note we are on the opposite side of this wonderful planet so our replies might be a bit off kilter although I am a night person so am up past midnight which is afternoon to you. Anyway just wanted to check in.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:04 AM

Hi jephree. At the moment everything seems to be going really good , I also changed the ethernet cable with a real short one less then a meter long, and marked as Cat 5. the previous one was a bit longer and marked as Cat 5e I dont know that the difference is but seem to work ok. With the modem/s I have 2, the original is a Seimens SpeedStream 4200 supplied by my ISP when I signed up. I brought a modem/router Netgear DG834 v3 wired serial No 1ES163BN03C78,and swapped over sometime ago, in use now. Flashing yellow led,Internet LED will flash yellow and or stay on yellow, I understand blinking green LED as receiving data. when solid green all LED things are ok. and in saying that I have IE saying that I'm not connected or cannot find the webpage or web expired when LED is flashing green. I don't know if there is a conflict with the 2 modems or modem incorrectly set . Ed.
ed-e-dee

#42 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:55 AM

Hello jephree. In one of the notes appleoddity mention Mouse, I'm wondering how would the mouse play the part in all this.
ed-e-dee

#43 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hi Ed.

I pulled the manual on your DG834 v3

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/DG834v3_RM01_27Oct06.pdf

If you wish to download it you will see the lights meanings on page 2-7.

Basically on the Internet LED:

Blink — Amber = Indicates ADSL training.
On — Green =The Internet port has detected a link with an attached device.
Blink — Green =Data is being transmitted or received by the Internet port.

On the LAN LED's (1,2,3,4,):

On (Green) = The Local port has detected a link with a 100 Mbps device.
Blink (Green) = Data is being transmitted or received at 100 Mbps.
On (Amber) = The Local port has detected a link with a 10 Mbps device.
Blink (Amber) = Data is being transmitted or received at 10 Mbps.
Off = No link is detected on this port.

As previously mentioned there is also a possible firmware update for this modem/router depending on your current version. That being said I would not bother with it unless we determine the modem/router to be the source of any problems.

So back to now: how is it going?

You can also hookup both that laptop and your desktop to this router/modem to compare performance. I just reiterate even with no outstanding issues that laptop, due to its hardware, will be a bit slow running Vista.

As to the mouse: are you still having mouse issues? At this point in time I do not see any relation between mouse issues and your internet issues unless there was some actual hanging | freezing going on with the computer.

As has been noted if your problem persists we need to determine if the issue is:

1. your ISP

2. your modem/router

3. your computer

If you wish you can look at your Event Viewer:

Check your Event Viewer via Administrative Tools.

Open the System as well as Application tabs and look for red X errors that coincide with your problem. Details here:

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

The Vista version can be seen as follows:

http://www.petri.co....vent-viewer.htm

#44 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

Hi jephree. Tried to have a look at netgear site but it would not IE was looking for about 2 min,without look like opening but it was trying. In event viewer , took me a while to find it I've never been into Admin.Tools so Application has heaps of red X errors System seemed clear. I read the link but it ment nothing to me sorry , would you like a copy of the red X's.
ed-e-dee

#45 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

Hi Ed.

I had the same problem with that PDF from Netgear. I had to go to their main site in order to read it. Bad link on their part. Google has an HTML version here:

http://74.125.113.13...g...=clnk&gl=us

However it misses all the images and tables etc. At this point it is not too important just thought you might be curious.

The best way to utilize the Event Viewer is to match an Event Time with a problem. Almost every system throws errors so many are benign. However if you have a problem at 12:12 A.M. and an Event was logged at 12:12 A.M. that would be worth investigating.

If you wish to copy/paste the Event data right click on the line you want to view then choose Properties. Then click the icon in my pic here:

Posted Image

The data is now on your clipboard and you can paste it into a Notepad or just add it to a reply here.

............anyway how are things working at the moment? Any problems?