Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

connection problems

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

I hope I have done it right this time

Were you using the internet while this test was running? Did the internet act up during the test?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:collecting old watches, horse racing but not betting.<br />keeping fit , fishing off beach and swimming.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

was not using internet, I let it run and went and done other things so did not notice any mishaps.
ed-e-dee

#18 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:collecting old watches, horse racing but not betting.<br />keeping fit , fishing off beach and swimming.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

G/day Vectris Thanks for the info. most of the problems have been fixed now, just need connections to work better, browsing is a problem at times I will get errors as IE can't connect or will get a timeout error . Your info sounds very much to problem I'm experiencing but I won't be doing anything untill all avenues are dealt with here.
ed-e-dee

#19 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

Ok.. You have to use the internet while running this test. Its important that I know if the internet acts up at all while running this test. Please run the test again, and use the internet. Continue to run the test until the internet acts up on you. You can then end the test and upload the file as an attachment.

The fact that you said the same problems occured with the original modem provided by your ISP tells me it shouldn't be a problem with the Netgear, nor the speedstream. But, we have not eliminated if it is your computer or your internet connection yet. Thats why I need to have that test run while you are using the internet and while it is experiencing problems. I'm looking for dropped packets in your test to determine if you may be having some other connectivity issues with your ISP.

But, as suggested, which you haven't really acknowledged yet, we are all very curious if you have hooked another computer up to this internet connection to see if it works or not. Or, if you can take your computer somewhere else to see if it works normally or not. This should be, by far, the easiest thing to try to eliminate if it is a computer issue, or a problem with your ISP.

You might also try using your computer in "Safe mode with networking" for a while to see if the internet acts up then.

To do so, press F8 several times right after you power your computer on until the Windows Advanced Startup menu appears. Select "Safe mode with networking." You won't be able to do much in this mode, but you can browse the internet. See if it acts up in this mode.

Thanks

was not using internet, I let it run and went and done other things so did not notice any mishaps.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#20 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

sorry about that I did not relise that I was supposed to be using the internet while the test was running , as I have said I'm still very raw at this computer game only got it because of the grand kids, I don't have access to another computer.
ed-e-dee

#21 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Attached File  poetme.txt   1.05KB   230 downloads[ Well I could not fault this computer this time , in my eyes anyway, the gremlins must have known that they are having a very short life span.LOL. I hope this is clear enough for you.

Attached Files

ed-e-dee

#22 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:27 PM

oop's I've stuffed up here got too excited and not watching what I'm doing grandkids
ed-e-dee

#23 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

Last night it played up again I was in Hotmail and when I tried to delete some mail it just sat there doing nothing except having a blank screen waited a while and had to refreash, but all seems ok this morning. Ed
ed-e-dee

#24 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hello Is anyone checking these threads I would like to clear up my problem I am aware that this is being done by volunteers and that they are also very busy in their every day lives i apprreciate their time and help. but I would like to have closeyour
ed-e-dee

#25 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

None of the attachments you posted were done correctly.

Please re-read the instructions.

You should be using the command ping <hostname> -t > desktop\postme.txt

Where <hostname> is any site you would like to test your connection to. Such as yahoo.com. (i.e. ping yahoo.com -t > desktop\postme.txt If you do not let this command continue until you actually have a problem with your internet connection I can't tell you anything. Please use the command from a command window and then continue to use the internet until it acts up (significantly! In other words, make sure you are really having a problem) and then attach the new postme.txt file and tell me what site you were using when it acted up.

I know you want help, but I'm going to need a little help from you. Everyone here would like to know if it is your computer or your internet connection. You have already stated that you can not hook your computer up at any other location to test it for a while, neither can you solicit a friend/family member to bring their computer over to hook up to your connection and test it for a while.

It simply sounds like you have a bad internet connection. Is there not anybody you know that can assist you with determining if it is one or the other before the volunteers spend time beating a dead horse? :)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Can I not use Optusnet.com.au to do the ping or do I have to use another site that is not my isp. Which I used on my last postme .txt do I have to be working at computer while the command is working I not sure as to what I'm doing here but I'm trying, You have to work with me step by step please as all this is new to me .
ed-e-dee

#27 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

Why don't you use yahoo.com.au. It is better that you use a site that is not directly related to your ISP because it might mask a problem outside their networks.

So, use this command at the command prompt:

ping yahoo.com.au -t desktop\postme.txt Please pay close attention to the spaces. you can even copy and paste if you want.

While this command is running (you will not see any output), please use the internet. Do not stop the command (ctrl-c) until your internet positively acts up. At that point, you can stop the command (ctrl-c) and post the postme.txt file that is on your desktop as an attachment.

The whole idea is that you are actively monitoring your internet connection and trying to catch it when it acts up. If it is a problem outside your computer, you will most likely see the problem show up in the postme.txt file that you are posting. So, we want to be "recording" this stuff until it acts up. If it is a problem with the browser or software, the problems will probably not show up in the file you post.

Again, ultimately, the easiest way to determine where the problem lies (with your computer, or with your ISP) is to get a third party involved who can help you test. Someone with a computer (preferably a laptop) or a high speed internet connection is all you need. We can try some basic troubleshooting to see if the problem gets resolved, but ultimately, if that does not work, you will have to eliminate if it is your computer or ISP before wasting time trying more complicated solutions.

#28 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

Attached File  postme.txt   67.84KB   259 downloads Well I've done what I felt was right, there were a couple of sites that would not do the right thing very slow to open. hope the scan is ok
ed-e-dee

#29 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

I have been able to borrow a laptop I have never used a laptop before.
ed-e-dee

#30 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

Ok.. Hook the laptop up and use it on the internet. Use it until you are absolutely sure if it is messing up or not.