This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Building 3d rendering machine

24 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

A friend recommended this place that was here locally to check out for parts. They generally are more expensive than newegg but I did find the hard drive for cheaper. Is this the same drive? http://enuinc.com/hdi-sea-750g-s32.html

That drive is less expensive than my choice and also more GB @ 750 rather than 500 but the drive I pointed to also had Perpendicular Recording which makes it more expensive.

The drive you suggest looks like a good drive and a good price. I always recommend Seagate/Maxtor which are now one company.

That drive you post looks very good.

Just to reiterate I am just using the Newegg site for the versatility of options and filters.

It is simply a convenient way to try our beta builds.
No problem. I will put together my version of a Beta_2 tomorrow based on an Intel socket 775 DDR2 Core 2 Duo system. Again once you find products you can shop around both locally and on-line. I just use Newegg in these cases for its format/filter options. Anyway tis 3:30 AM and I'm probably falling asleep …..
Thanks. Even if its a little more I think I want to stay with the quad core. Its only 12:30 here on the west coast but please go get some sleep! hehe
I have spent some time looking at the Maya recommendations and you are correct about the workstation graphics card however these tend to be expensive I found one at Newegg that might work well for you. Here are the details of that search:

Maya suggest the NVIDIA Quadro FX series 1500 and above but the least expensive in that line is $449.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…Inc.-_-14133173

Newegg does list a FX1400 @$189.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814133142

Are you currently running this software? (Maya) If so what is your current card? Although Maya makes these recommendations I doubt they are mandated. Anyway a $449.99 card is not in the budget here. Maya is mentioned in reviews of the 1400.

————————————-

Here is the base Newegg list of Intel Quad Core Socket 775:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList….Core%202%20Quad

This is a nice price with good reviews: $189.99 1333FSB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115207

————————————

Here is a good motherboard /hardware review site:

http://www.motherboards.org/

Here is a selection at socket 775/Quad Core CPU/PCI_E x16 between $100&$200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList….amp;srchInDesc=

I chose these to compare:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompa…364&bop=And

————————————

Here is RAM @ DDR2 1066 (2x 2GB):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList….amp;srchInDesc=

Newegg lists none at the same spec under DDR3.

————————————

Anyway just more for you to look at.
I can sort of run Maya on my laptop but its very chunky with movements though it seems to render alright. I think it has an integrated graphics -Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Actually between those two the cheaper Asus offers a better RAM speed at 1066 which goes along with what I posted above.

The Intel board is an old standard DDR2 800.

The only main difference between the boards is the chipset. P35 vs P43

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i…amp;btnG=Search

The cheaper board is also PCI_E 2 which is backwards compatible and not really an issue unless you went to a PCI_E 2 graphics card such as the FX1500 (that is the $450 model).

Between those two boards the cheaper Asus is the better board.

EDIT: just to add I cut off my search below $100 as I sort of have the notion "you get what you pay for" and I don't think the motherboard should be lightly considered. However as seen here the cheaper board is better. And I also reiterate my theory that the graphics card is the most valuable component in this system.

The motherboard is a supporting item as are the CPU and RAM.

Anyway we are making progress.


…
The motherboard would be the part I really know the least about so I will ultimately trust your judgment with this one. If you think I should get one thats a little more spendy I wouldn't mind. I'm just listing what others have suggested to see what you think.
Actually I see nothing wrong with that Asus board.

It also allows for graphics up grade say if you started with an FX1400 you could upgrade to a 1500.

The 1400 is still PCI_E 1 whereas the 1500 is PCI_E 2.

The Intel board you posted was only PCI_E 1.

I would read some Newegg reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16813131329

See if you find any outstanding issues.

Otherwise this board would work with the parts I posted in reply #24.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI