Hello, I am new here and I hope someone can help to fix this problem I randomly get lag spikes…. what happens here is say if I were playing Call of Duty.. I would be running around.. and all of the sudden I would get a "Connection Interrupted" message and it will drag me back to a place where I was like 3 seconds ago.. they happen randomly.. and they only last for like 2-4 seconds but it is becoming servery annoying.. I have contacted my ISP about it they have tried but I think they don't know whats wrong.. I've contacted my modem and network care company and they don't know ether. If someone could help me out that would be great, Thanks..
Hi Brandonk, welcome to WTT. Going to need some information about your computer, so …
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: PCPitstop Full Tests
Note: Vista users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"
If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)
Register and create a password Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.
Note: Vista users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.
Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.
Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.
Since WTT is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.
The first thing I see is that you are not running any anti-virus software. That's a sure way to commit suicide in todays internet environment.
So, before we proceed, please go to the HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.
I'm not just sluffing you off, I have a real concern about your computer possibly being infected with some kind of malware. You have no AV and I see several torrent program (µTorrent, DNA), , which like any P2P software, are one of the primary ways malware is spread as well as Tortun which is a P2P video streaming client.
I also see Uniblue RegistryBooster 2009 which is a registry cleaner and is something we are very much against here at WTT. None of them ever fix any problems, just causes them.
If you are infected, the malware folks will take care of it, and that may solve your lag problem. If not, come back here and we'll work on fixing it.
I read through your malware thread and see there was some malware which TomK helped you remove.
Have you installed any Antivirus yet?
What did you decide about LimeWire, and uTorrent, and DNA? Continuing to run them, especially without any AV installed is an invitation to more malware.
I see you have a Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter. Please do the following, one at a time and see how things go.
Open Device Manager (Click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter), expand Network Adapters (click on the +) then right click on your network card and select Uninstall. Reboot. XP will rediscover the network card and reload the driver for it.
For these commands, Click on Start then Run, type cmd and press Enter to open a Command Prompt.
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
Download and run Dial-A-Fix. Click on the Tools icon (looks like a hammer).
Select Flush DNS and click on GO.
Select Reset Networking Interfaces and click on GO.
Select Reset WMI/WBEM and click on GO.
You should also consider replacing the Linksys network card if none of the above have any effect.
Hey, I tried all the steps you got here, didn't work unfortunately, and I decided to uninstall all the P2P programs, also do you got any suggestions for a AV program? Oh, and I'll look into getting a new network card.
There are several good, free, antivirus packages available.
AVG Free for anti-virus. Make sure you choose the free version, no reason to pay for it.
Avast. Get the free home edition.
Avira Antivir. The only thing I don't like about Avira is the nag screen that pops up every once in a while. It's an excellent AV program thouogh.
Comodo Internet Security. This is what I use.
If you choose one of the first three, I would also suggest installing Comodo Personal Firewall for a firewall. Again, stay with the free version.
Once you get the P2P stuff uninstalled, please run another PCPitStop Full Test and post the link again. I would really like to look at what is running on your computer again.
That works, thanks.
First thing you can do is go through the 4 suggestions on the Summary Page you provided, see if that helps, especially the first and last.
Looks like a reasonable machine with decent hardware specs, 2Ghz processor, 1.5GB Ram, ATI Radeon 9550 video,
Why do you have two network cards? Is one onboard and one a PCI card?
Net LinkSys Group Inc. Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Net VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Which one are you using now? Does the other work and if so, have you tried using it?
At the moment I'm using the Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter, and I just took a look at the back of my computer and I never noticed but I guess I do have an on-board network adapter, I never noticed that before.
Plug your Ethernet cable into it and see if you get a network connection after a few seconds.
Yes - enabled
No - not enabled, go into BIOS Setup and Enable it then try it again. Where it is in BIOS Setup varies with each manufacturer, so you'll have to look around.