This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

ocr

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have Scan soft omni page se 4, by Nuance, bundled into my Canon All in One. The se 16 allows you to choose any program to work with but ths cheaper version defaults to Word only. I have Word '03' so I can edit my text but, do not like Word. I was thinking of removing this program from add/remove programs, as the tech said it would not disable the All in One but I would not have ocr to scan editable text. I know Adobe and others have ocr but it is around or over $100 for a decent program. I googled ocr programs and see there are free ones available. If Nuance were removed and a free one installed, would I succeed in being able to use a program other than Word? Also, am I looking for security problems with a free program? Thank you
Hi,

I googled ocr programs and see there are free ones available.

Here are a couple of easy, free ones:
FreeOCR
SimpleOCR

If Nuance were removed and a free one installed, would I succeed in being able to use a program other than Word?

Don't know what you mean by this.

Also, am I looking for security problems with a free program?

You are looking for better security? Check this out:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Computer_Tip…413#entry533413
(Most important stuff for you starts at Step #2, but Step #1 is also important)

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
Hi John Regarding security I feel I have most of yor suggestions covered and thanx for the information. Regarding the All in One; What The Tech told me a while ago to not get the All in One but to get components or seperate pieces. I went for cost and I got what I paid for. All in Ones, as I have learned have cheap versions of things like Nuances OCR called Omni page - it makes you use Word ONLY even if you want to scan to M.S. Works Word Processor or Word Perfect etc. I was trying to figure a work around but it is not realistic. This Canon printer allows you to scan as image with Windows fax viewer which is poor or to involve the ocr which is deficient, awkward and ONLY lets you scan to the program Word. I'm going back to the yellow pad :-) Thank you for writing.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

So have you already uninstalled the Scan Soft Omni Page program? Please give it a try and then see whether your Canon All-in-One is still working. If it still works fine, or only OCR won't work, give the programs a try that I recommended:
FreeOCR
SimpleOCR

Now see if that does the job. Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
Hi John A-Because I cannot dtermine if either of your referrals will,ONCE MORE, require me to use "Word" I have not done so. I have read about both ocr programs but Simple mentions a fifth button which will use Word if you have it. It seems as though most ocr programs want to use Word. Here is a simple way of staing my goal; 1-I'd like to scan to file with editable text 2-to get editable text it seems you need some form of ocr. I edit in M.S. Works Word Processor or Word Perfect etc I will try to read more with Google about these two programs. B-Another question if I may? To just scan as image, this Canon makes me scan to Windows picture viewer which has magnifying glasses, not good. I don't see how I can save it to file. Can I? C-Security, if I download freeware, am I looking for trouble with malware included? This is a lot so if you like the conversation and have time I look forward to working on the issue, however, if you prefer not to persue this rather lengthy discusion, please tell me and I will certainly understand. Pete
Hi Pete,

A-Because I cannot determine if either of your referrals will,ONCE MORE, require me to use "Word" I have not done so.
I have read about both ocr programs but Simple mentions a fifth button which will use Word if you have it.
It seems as though most ocr programs want to use Word.

Here is a simple way of staying my goal;
1-I'd like to scan to file with editable text
2-to get editable text it seems you need some form of ocr. I edit in M.S. Works Word Processor or Word Perfect etc
I will try to read more with Google about these two programs

This may very well work:
  • Use on of my recommended programs to put the OCR into editable text. It will be opened in Office Word.
  • Save the Word document (either .doc or maybe .rtf).
  • Start Works or Word Perfect.
  • Open the document that you just saved with Word.
  • Now you can just edit the text
I am not sure as I do not use OCR, but you could give that a try. Then what you could probably even do (I can give instructions if you cannot figure it by yourself) is making Works or Word Perfect the default program for documents. This way you will only have to save the editable OCR with Word, browse to where you saved it and double-click.

Now you will probably think there must be an easier way, but as Word is very popular I have not yet, even after doing research the last hour, found a program that opens the OCR in Works or Word Perfect.

B-Another question if I may? To just scan as image, this Canon makes me scan to Windows picture viewer which has magnifying glasses, not good. I don't see how I can save it to file. Can I?

Windows Picture Viewer has this toolbar at the bottom. The button to save is this one:
[external image: Posted Image]

C-Security, if I download freeware, am I looking for trouble with malware included?
This is a lot so if you like the conversation and have time I look forward to working on the issue, however, if you prefer not to persue this rather lengthy discusion, please tell me and I will certainly understand.

Most freeware is clean of malware. A lot of websites which host the download location only host clean stuff. Anyway, it is important that you always have your Anti-Virus software enabled and regularly do a scan. One program that you may find interesting is EULALyzer:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/eulalyzer.html
Of course it is best to read every EULA completely, but that is a lot of work. The EULA sometimes contains important information like bundled software, privacy and collecting data from your system. Copying it into EULAlyzer and clicking on button will make EULAlyzer scan the EULA for strange and important information and then give you a summary.

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
Hi John Your message gave me a little more faith in my All in One by Canon. I guess old guys resist change especially when the prior method appeared to be more user friendly. More specifically, I do understand the security issue regarding freeware and I can scan it before during and after. I have not tried to save the fax viewer to a location but will use the button you so thoughtfully displayed. The concept of saving the doc as .rtf or .doc then opening it in works to edit is something I want to explore. In all, I thought I spent enough time trying to maximize the printer in the most user friendly way but it is obvious I still have work to do. You have now pointed me in the right direction in which to perform my trials. Thank you much
Glad I could be of help.

In all, I thought I spent enough time trying to maximize the printer in the most user friendly way but it is obvious I still have work to do.

Well it seems like it is almost assumed that everybody likes Office Word and even though I have no problems with it I think it is a mistake on their side to assume this.

Please let me know how it worked out :)
Hi John I am still practising but will certainly post back results for you and others. I wonder, if I were to use PDF - I have reader 9 - , would others I send this info to be able to open it? I have 9 as I think it is a good security measure to have the latest version. If the recipient does not have either Adobe or ver 9 would they be prompted to download it or just be unable to open it? I ask as pdf files are prevalent throughout this Canon software. Thank you
Hi,

I wonder, if I were to use PDF - I have reader 9 - , would others I send this info to be able to open it?
I have 9 as I think it is a good security measure to have the latest version. If the recipient does not have either Adobe or ver 9 would they be prompted to download it or just be unable to open it?

Any PDF reader would do. If they have any version of Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader they would have no problem. Them having an earlier version could only harm them if the PDF file you had exploits a bug in earlier versions. There are also a couple of PDF readers other than Adobe Acrobat/Reader. Foxit Reader, for instance:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
Anyway, if the person you send it to has any PDF reader they can open it. Otherwise they would get a window asking how to open the .pdf file and they would not have a program to open it with.

Regards,
John.
Hello When I used the Windows viewer, it saved a tif file which was 32 MB. I am only allowed 7 MB Max. by my ISP to send an attachment. Also the clarity was very poor. I called Canon and they admitted this software is not appropriate for those not tutored with it. One cannot intuitively run this All in One. They also said to scan as image I should use the PDF button only. The 'save' button next to it saves to the Windows viewer and I can find no way to shrink it from MBS to KBs. There are DPI options but I don't think I can shrink the image from 32MBS to KBS by using dpis. I told you I would give you a summary . I hope other Canon users can take advantage of this. A- Editable text = see previous posts and use this tip = tools>options>proofing + uncheck proffread -this saves a lot of diffculty and duplication. You can edt in Word. B- Scan as image you must use the PDF button for clarity and appropriate size. My experience with this printer has been an arduous one. The confinements are particularly bothersome; i.e., the necessity to use Word exclusively with OCR, the necessity to use PDF exclusively to scan as image. The print + copy functions are good. The 'help' and directions are very shallow. Without the help from What the tech, I would now be using a pad and pencil.
Hi,

And how has saving in Word and then opening with Word Perfect or Works?

My experience with this printer has been an arduous one. The confinements are particularly bothersome; i.e., the necessity to use Word exclusively with OCR, the necessity to use PDF exclusively to scan as image.
The print + copy functions are good. The 'help' and directions are very shallow.

Well, you can only find out by reviews or best: by experience…

Without the help from What the tech, I would now be using a pad and pencil.

Hehe, made me laugh ;)

Any more questions or problems?

Regards,
John.
Hello >>And how has saving in Word and then opening with Word Perfect or Works? It worked fine as I opened M.S. Works Word Processor then copied from the Word doc to the processor. I feel comfortable working with the works processor as it is less complicated. Thanx for the tip. With some finageling I can now accomplish most of what I need to do. :wavey:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI