This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Malware/Trojans crippling PC

54 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

ran SFC and rebooted…still nothing. I noticed the Local Area Connection icon is NOT in the system tray. I could be wrong but I remember the dual monitor icon blinking when connected and a red X when not connected. Could that mean anything? Instead, a yellow modem phone is there.
That looks OK with no extra elements or errors

There is a programme that might repair this - but if it fails it may require a repair install to correct the errors. A repair install which give you a fresh set of Windows files but will not touch your programmes, documents etc. However you will have to do all the updating again

Download to your Desktop TCPIP_Fix.exe, a self-extracting ZIP archive (for XP only) from >>HERE<<
  • Double-click TCPIP_Fix.exe.
  • Click the "Install" button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
  • The program will create a new Folder called TCPIP_Fix.
  • Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: TCPIP_Fix.cmd.
  • A black box will briefly appear and then close.

Reboot your machine and do the following:

Click Start, click Run, type CMD into the command box that opens: and press [Enter]
At the command prompt type:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

enter

netsh winsock reset

enter

  • A prompt will appear after a moment that a restart of your computer is necessary.
  • Reboot your computer.
  • You can now delete the download, and the new folder it created – TCPIP_Fix.
Before I do so, I have a question. My folks were not given a Windows disc when they bought their pc. BUT they made a recovery disc (2 dvd-r) the day they got it. I just want to be sure that if this doesn't fix and I need to repair windows I have the proper tools to do so. Also, I have a copy of Windows XP at home. Can that be used to repair? Or does this TCPIP make a backup or no? Am I over-thinking this? XD

Also, I have a copy of Windows XP at home. Can that be used to repair?

For a repair install yes

Or does this TCPIP make a backup or no?

No it just tries to repair the necesssary files
Afterward I clicked restart. The pc shut down and went to a black screen but the power button is still lit. Should I just hold the button the shutdown then restart? Or does that mean something?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI