This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] SVCHost Issue, unable to resolve websites

26 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I believe I got myself into trouble, I have been receiving errors from SVCHost stating the following errors with writing to memory (this is the typical message you see, so i have only posted the changing parts): 0x75606e6b at 0x00000008 0x7c918fea at 0x00000010 0x7c9118d0 at 0x00000000 0x76f6122f (I forgot to write down where at) At first it would repeatedly cycle through them then hang the system. I was only able to startup into safemode. While searching through Safemode I noticed that I was being redirected on websites from google to an ad. I have since removed that issue with fixwareout.exe (I've had that issue before on an old computer). However now my problem remains that SVCHost is still crashing, so I went into MSConfig and changed the settings to diagnostic, and was able to log back into my normal startup. I have gotten to the point that I have isolated that when I start the services "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager" and "Remote Access Connection Manager" that SVCHost gives me the errors again, now the system has a 50/50 startup rate in the normal session. So I am in Safemode agagin, however I now notice that I am unable to get to outside websites, I've been able to log into my router but that's about it. Any help that can be give would be most appreciated, Thanks!
Hi

Welcome to the What the tech Forums
My name is mschroe919 and I am going help you
I would like to help you So if you would….
Please be patient and I will be back as soon as possible
after getting the logs.

FIRST:


Please while I am gone do these steps:

Show hidden files, Here is how:

Windows XP

* Click Start.
* Open My Computer.
* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View Tab.
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
* Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm.
* Click OK.

NEXT:

If you can't get on the internet. Did you try going to safe mode /with networkiong?
Still can't download off another PC to a thumb drive or flopie and go it that way.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Download it

HERE:

This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

NEXT:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

HERE

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform FULL SCAN, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt
save and post the malwarebytes log when you get to the bottom of this page.
NEXT:

We need to download HijackThis, download it here

HERE:

once downloaded click on it to install
By default it will install in c:\program files. Don't change the location
Then navigate to that directory and double-click on the hijackthis.exe file. When the program is started click on the Scan button and then the Save Log button to create a log of your information.
Once the log is saved please post it here .along with the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log
good luck

Be sure not to delete anything intill said ok to. also don't run any other cleanup programs till we
get done it may goof ours up.
Also if you have any questions feel fre to ask first.

When you post another HJT log and the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log , let me know how your PC is behavuing

I will be waiting to see new logs

mschroe919
I currently have many of the startup services and items disabled in order to get to the regular log in, will this affect anything? Also I had already downloaded Malware Malbytes, but it doesn't work in safemode, but am trying to redownload and install it, I'll post it up if it works. Oh and it seems that I am only unable to get on the internet with Internet Explorer and anything that depends on IE. I'm able to use Firefox.
I have your log. Try this in safe mode:

OK I've reinstalled Malwarebytes, and it won't run after installation.


Go to where you put the downloaded Malwarebytes

right click on it and left click on rename ;
Change name to me.exe don't forget the .EXE

once the name chang try to run it again .
let me know what happens.

ALSO IMPORTANT

Important Read:
we need to change location of HJT and get the latest HJT

This way:]/b]

We need to download HijackThis, download it here
http://www.rosoftdownload.com/admin/images…/HJTInstall.exe
once downloaded click on it to install
By default it will install in c:\program files. Don't change the location


Once this is done please post another HJT log

good luck mschroe919
Ok, That worked, the scan is complete but it still won't load into windows properly, I've redone the HJT log as well, and everything in MSCONFIG is set to normal bootup (I usually have it in selective since I don't like everything starting up, but figured it's better for diagnostics to have it all enabled). It seems though that when it tries to do a normal startup it bluescreens and restarts. I had to go back into safemode to create the HJT log (I actually ran Comboscan this time, since I had that readily available, and can't find the flash drive with HJT), but here are the logs. Also my computer will now not connect to the internet again, I was able to connect before I had cleaned out everthing with malwarebyte. Thanks
Hi cewong2,
First off till we get done cleaning up your log, please do not run or change anything on your pc till askesd, right now you have to do the new Hjt log, you didn't get the latest one as I asked. So please go back an do the latest as I suggested in the last post. The combo log is invalid here is what to do to do the Combofix:
First we have to delete the old combofix:

[external image: Posted Image]

Then when this is done do this:

Download ComboFix to your Desktop.
Get it

HERE OR:

HERE

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, please delete it from your desktop and download this new version . It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
——————————————————————–
Close any open browsers and make sure you are disconnected from the net. Unplug the cable if need be before running combofix.
WARNING: IF you have not already done so Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet when it starts
Please do not re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.


**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures

[external image: Posted Image]

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

[external image: Posted Image]

——————————————————————–

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it will produce a report for you.
Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt along with a new HijackThis log for further review

****Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall or freeze ****

*If there is no internet connection when Combofix has completely finished then restart your computer to restore back the connections.

Give it atleast 20-30 minutes to finish

Again it is iomportant that you follow my post to the letter and don't try anything else because it will mess up my fixes.
good luck mschroe919


Don't worry about any other issues, we will take care of them we just can't do them all at once.
Hi Look here: C:\ComboFix.txt Right click on My computer left click on open, left click o C:\ look here for Combofix.txt If that don't get it try this: click start then click on search then click all files and folders then type combo.fix in box mared all or part… then click on search Let me know what is happening mchroe919
Hi
Sorry that not the log I need, please do a search for:

ComboFix.txt

let me know don't try running it again it will mess up.
mschroe919
Hi

Not to worry we will get through this together.

NEXT:

WE will have to start over again. But to do so we have to again delete the combofix and re install it.

First

Do this again:

[external image: Posted Image]

NEXT:

Download ComboFix to your Desktop.
Get it

HERE OR:

HERE:

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, please delete it from your desktop and download this new version . It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
——————————————————————–
Close any open browsers and make sure you are disconnected from the net. Unplug the cable if need be before running combofix.
WARNING: IF you have not already done so Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet when it starts
Please do not re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.


**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures

[external image: Posted Image]

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

[external image: Posted Image]

——————————————————————–

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it will produce a report for you.
Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt along with a new HijackThis log for further review

****Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall or freeze ****

*If there is no internet connection when Combofix has completely finished then restart your computer to restore back the connections.

Give it atleast 20-30 minutes to finish
good luck mschroe919
ComboFix keeps freezing, I've had to stop it and restart it 3 times (uninstalling 3 times to do a fresh one) I will try to run it from safemode, but it seems to be that it is getting snagged on an issue I have been having that whatever runs first that program hangs and causes one of my cores (of my dual core machine) to go at full processing and shows me a 50% CPU usage. If you have a fix for that I might be able to try to get it to run in a normal session, otherwise I will try to run it from Safemode.

Oh and here are screenshots of what I'm talking about, I've had this issue for a while:

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]


oh and recently (i.e. now)

[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]

I have noticed that if I don't start up everything in the services that it doesn't happen, so I think it is one of the services (or combination of services) that does it but I can't seem to isolate it.


But I will try the fix in safemode now.
Alright,

So I got it to work in safemode and I've attached both the HJT and Combifx logs. I've also encountered some new problems since this fix:

I've included the error screens.

This first one would come up:

[external image: Posted Image]

then it would lead to this after you click continue:

[external image: Posted Image]

last this error starts and I don't have symantec on my machine.

[external image: Posted Image]

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI