Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE/Firefox does not load some web pages

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Yes, thank you.

My first guess would be your ISP. Is your colleague's Mac on the same network you are on? Is there a router involved?

To eliminate XP, you could try a Linux Live CD like Puppy Linux. Create the CD f4rom the .iso file then boot the CD. If you can then connect to www.opendns.com and get a good page then it's something in your XP setup. If not then it's external to your computer, either your ISP, or router.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 Remy Lebeau

Remy Lebeau

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

My colleague is on the same network, connecting to the internet through the same cable modem (we have a cable modem connected to a series of wireless access points). It's wierd... Having connected mine via cat 5 as well (I was on wireless before) plugged directly into the cable modem, I still have the same problem. All the mac and linux computers on the network can access it fine, none of the windows ones can! It's wierd. I'll test from a live linux boot either later today or tomorrow.

Edited by Remy Lebeau, 21 October 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#33 Remy Lebeau

Remy Lebeau

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

I tested booting into puppy linux (which btw is a fantastic little distro), and it loaded fine... Definitely something in my XP configuration... After some re-testing, it turns out that I can talk to www-files.opendns.com (by loading www.opendns.com successfully) on all the MAC and Linux computers on the network, but none of the windows ones... Not sure what to test next... ideas?

Edited by Remy Lebeau, 21 October 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#34 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

Try these commands from a Command Prompt:

Flush DNS cache: ipconfig /flushdns
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log
Clear ARP Cache: netsh interface ip delete arpcach

If that doesn't fix the problem, try WinsockFix

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown