Hi all
I am windows vista home premium sp1 user. I updated NOKIA PC SUITE, after update completion windows restarted. Most of the computer services on startup never loaded (local services + network services)- I am able to access internet through booting with safe mode and networking option however every time I try to uninstall NOKIA PC SUITE or any other program from safe mode I am notified that the Windows Installer service could not be started. When I try to launch windows live onecare manually because it's not launching on startup, I am notified that Windows live OneCare service is not working or has been stopped. When I try to start a Service manually I am notified as Access denied. In task manger, the service section has all services set to stopped and non is being allowed to start.
I also booted with last good known settings but it didn't solve the problem. I restored to a point earlier to this problem but it also couldn't solve the problem.
What could I do ?
Hi hass, [external image: Posted Image] Let us see what is going on with your system. I note you already did a system restore which did not help.
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: http://www.pcpitstop.com Note: Vista users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator" Register and create a password Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE. Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.
The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread. Note: Vista users, please close your instance of IE "Rrunning as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.
Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are "flashed" onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence. Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.
Since WTT is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.
Yes, I realise you attempted a System Restore requested by Ztruker. I noted that in my last post to you.
Thank you for supplying the Pitstop scan. As you can see with the result of your scan there is much work to do.
I also realise you are unable to work with your system other than in safe mode with Network enabled which is not really safe to do with minimum protection.
Two things initially need doing following the suggested fixes offered by the scan.
Please download, install and run CCleaner.exe in default settings to rid your system of the 1667MB of temporary files to free up the junk files showing in your scan. Once you have installed the cleaner, disconnect from the internet to run with safety. Tutorial for CCleaner if you are not familiar with it.
Please again disconnect from the internet go into safe mode and defrag your C:Drive as 42% of it is fragmented. This is best done in Safe Mode. If not done for sometime this will take awhile to run.
At this stage I am not at all knowledged why you cannot boot your computer normally, I would however try again to uninstall Nokia PC Suite to see if you can then boot to normal mode. If you can, you will be able to reinstall it at later date once we go through the PCPitstop Scan fully to correct all the problems shown.
Hi tallin
I was able to remove nokia pc suite,
Deleted temporary files,
defragemantation failed because the microsoft defrag tool did not load when double clicked.
still not booting normally
I am not familiar with Vista Home Premium, but with XP to find the system defragmenter do the following.
Go to
start
all programs
accessories
system tools
Disk Defragmenter
This should give you the option to start the service. If unsuccessful download and install the following software: Autologics Defrag Software. We need to get that disk defragged. Make sure you reboot after defragging your system if successful with either methods.
Question only: Are you having any driver problems at all?
Ok started defragin now. And for the question, when running in normal mode, the vista wouldn't load wireless or LAN for example. it also may not respond when clicking anything in the start menu.
hass,
Please walk away from your computer while defragmenting it.
All open browsers should be closed. In fact, please defrag it twice. Reboot. Then do another pic scan and post again here into this thread answering my driver question……thanks
kind regards,
tallin,
I've defragmented my disk drives twice as instructed. I've already stopped using internet in safe mode with networking and logging into internet from another notebook which is not physically connected to the one with the problems.
Now when i run through safe mode, the windows starts and everything but the icons on desktop won't appear until i close the explorer.exe process in task manager and re-run it again by creating new task (run)
pls advise
To obtain your Windows Updates each two (in case there are non critical updates) or four weeks manually, go to Windows Updates after the second Tuesday in the month to get your most recent updates . Click on Custom after the page loads, so you can be in control of what is installed on your system.
Regarding your Wireless and LAN problems, please do the following:
To flush DNS cache
start
run
type cmd
type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. (Note the space between the g /)
Exit
Beboot
DNS = Domain Name Server, the cache referred to is where Windows stores all IP addresses it collects as you surf typing the IP to the domain name to surf to, this cache can grow large over a period of time causing a slowdown on your computer surfing and interaction.
Let us know after reboot how your computer is performing.
Then do another pic scan and post again here into this thread answering my driver question……thanks
Question only: Are you having any driver problems at all?
when system started with safe mode no driver failures appeared.
Regarding Automatic updates : the startup type was set to Automatic ( delayed start). I set it to automatic only.
However windows update is inaccessible neither through safe mode nor through normal mode nor through safe mode with networking.
Regarding DNS .. command ran successfully but didn't solve the problem.
Hi hass,
I will get further assistance from other volunteers for you here, your new PCPitstop scan shows your C:Drive is still 44% fragmented.
Please have patients as they are all very busy.
kind regards,