This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
What the Tech Community

New to the site

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

I am looking for tech help with an issue I am stuck with. I've got a Lenovo laptop and the hard drive went down with a SMART error. At first I was getting warnings about the error saying the failure was imminent. By the time I figured out what the hell a SMART error was I was getting the blue screen upon start up detailing a kernal stack error. OK, well I got another sata drive and loaded windows xp pro on it (same OS as on the orig drive). I got a freeware hd clone program to move over all my data with no success. If I connect the drive via a usb enclosure I can access all the data with no problem. I tried backing up from the old drive and restoring to the new drive and nothing. None of the drivers/network adapters are being recognized and I'm stuck. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks! Brian
Hi exbostonian and :welcome:

sorry to hear you are having difficulty with your laptop.

As this is the meet and greet area our talented tech's will likely miss your question.

I suggest you start a topic in the tech forums - start with the Notebook subforum and hopefully one of the tech's will be able to assist you.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Notebooks_f129.html

Mean time, while you are waiting for an answer have a good look round in all the subforums, there are lots of self help topics to read.

Good luck

CB
No, not stupid at all - very smart that you found your way to our forum to get the help you need. :thumbup: That's what we're here for…. it's easy to get lost here when your new to the forum, but you'll run into a lot of friendly folks to point you in the right direction :wavey: Good luck with it. CB

Yeah, I realized that and moved it to the hardware forum. Sorry…stupid me!

Brian

[external image: Posted Image] Brian,

No, I disagree, never stupid, we don't use that word here on WTT.

I will check and see that you got the help you were seeking.

I hope this forum assists you as there is so much to read and learn here.

Kind regards,