Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

RAS ASYNC Adapter?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Conchord

Conchord

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

Hello, Device Manager shows one hidden device that cannot be disabled - RAS ASYNC Adapter. It cannot be uninstalled either. Even stranger is that it appears and disappears before my eyes, and I am doing nothing to cause this. I do not want any rasman services running so I'd like to figure what, why and how this is going on. Thanks.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

Posted Image Conchord,

Glad you have found us here at WTT.

I suggest you put a search in for RAS ASYNC Adapter.

• Start
  • Search
  • Files and Folders
Let us know what you find please.

Best regards,

#3 Conchord

Conchord

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

Glad you have found us here at WTT.

I suggest you put a search in for RAS ASYNC Adapter.

Thank you. I'm glad to be here. I'm a transplant from Castle Cops. ;)

I'm a bit confused by your answer. I'm aware there is a search function within the OS, yet my problem surley supercedes the built in knowledge base. Why else would I be here!?

I'm sure a RAS search would reference Remote Access Services, yet in no way answer my question.

Thanks.

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

Hi ConChord,

Putting in a search for RAS ASYNC Adapter would certainly help me if it was my computer, then I would know where to go to see what it is doing wherever you find it.......but if you would rather wait for another volunteers to help, that is okay also.

It cannot be uninstalled either. Even stranger is that it appears and disappears before my eyes, and I am doing nothing to cause this

You say in the above quote it disappeard before you eyes, so how do you know where it is if you don't put in a search for it. Re uninstalling, again you need to know where to find it to attempt to uninstall it.

Best regards,

#5 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

Hi Conchord... Are you using a dial-up service or high-speed internet? Edit: Have you ever used dial-up on this computer? Can you look in event viewer for any errors and report them back here? (Start -> run -> type 'eventvwr' press ENTER) I'm assuming you mean that the device is appearing and disappearing continually in device manager.. Some event should be logged in Event Viewer under system log. I have found a couple possible solutions to your problem, but I need the above information first.

Edited by appleoddity, 19 January 2009 - 11:33 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#6 Conchord

Conchord

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

Hello team, Looking at event viewer for the answer is tough because like a true amateur I have forgotten the time frame in which this event took place. I know it happened sometime in the last two days, yet it's hard for me to pin point it. Searching through the vastness of the logs has proven to be an exercise in futility. Maybe I can filter the results to only show network related entries? Is this possible? That might make it a bit more manageable. What exactly am I looking for? Something relating to this mystery adapter? I did a search through the entire log for 'RAS' and 'ASYNC' and found nothing. Searching for 'remote' only returns RPC items. Is it possible that these occurrences did not register in event log, or are they definitely in there somewhere? The issue hasn't reoccurred, and it might not again as I deleted the RAS folder in System32.

Edited by Conchord, 20 January 2009 - 12:57 AM.

#7 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

ConChord,

The issue hasn't reoccurred, and it might not again as I deleted the RAS folder in System32.

Your quote explains why I was wanting you to do that search suggested in my first post. As you now wisely deleted the RAS folder in System32, you should be free of any further problems with this issue.

Best regards,

#8 Conchord

Conchord

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:20 AM

Your quote explains why I was wanting you to do that search suggested in my first post. As you now wisely deleted the RAS folder in System32, you should be free of any further problems with this issue.

Hi tallin,

What I meant to say was that I already knew it was an RAS issue, I came here for an explanation as to why and how it was going on, especially with all rasman related services disabled.

;)

#9 Conchord

Conchord

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:25 AM

Are you using a dial-up service or high-speed internet?

Have you ever used dial-up on this computer?

I use cable broadband from Time Warner/Road Runner. I've never used dial-up. I keep Telephony services disabled.

What I'm suggesting just for the sake of discussion is that this is malicious and indicates a remote intrusion.

When and if it ever happens again, I will be sure to record the date and time in order to reference the event viewer.

I'm curious to know how one would query the even viewer to determine if remote connections had been made?

Edited by Conchord, 20 January 2009 - 02:28 AM.