Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

No LAN connection in my network places

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 steve coraggio

steve coraggio

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hello, I just did a system recovery and the installed the recovery cd's to bring my HP desktop back to original. I am now trying to connect to the internet but the only item i have in my network connections is 1394 Connection. I installed NVIDIA but that did nothing. How can I access the internet? Is my hard drive gone? If I buy a PCI ntwork adapter or USB wireless network adapter will that allow me to access the internet by connecting to a wireless signal. Thank you so much for all the help. I really appreciae it. Steve C.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hi Steve, Posted Image

I am far from being an expert on Network connections, but I googled and found this link that may help you until another volunteer comes by to assist you.

kind regards,

#3 steve coraggio

steve coraggio

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

Thank you, but I cant find the answer through that link. I appreciate the response though.

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hi Steve,

I am sorry the link was no use to you.

Try # 2 answer in this link

best regards,

#5 ISHAN.SHARMA

ISHAN.SHARMA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Programming,network security and other computer related subjects, Reading and swimming

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:49 AM

Hello Steve,

Go to Start----->Connect to--------> Show all Connections
and check whether you have the connection list there
ISHAN SHARMA
Posted Image

#6 steve coraggio

steve coraggio

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

Sharma- Im not sure what you;re saying but I dont see a 'connect to' option in the start menu. Tallin- Thank you for the additional link but this doesnt really answer my question. I have refreshed my networks link and I have no adapters listed. I think the driver wasnt installed or its broken... So I am wondering if I buy a PCI ntwork adapter or USB wireless network adapter will that allow me to access the internet by connecting to a wireless signal. Im getting a wireless signal on my laptop but my desktop has always been wired. pretty much what im asking is if I have nothing listed under network adapters in my device manager, can I use a PCI network adapter or wireless USB adapter to gain access to the internet... or do I need to install some sort of driver? Thanks again for all your help, Steve

#7 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hi, What you are saying is kind of vague. Do you already have hardware that should be able to connect your desktop wireless or only for wired connection? Do you have your own router to connect your to the internet wireless? Please let us know. Regards, John.

#8 steve coraggio

steve coraggio

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Jonh- Thanks for the response. It seems that I dont have any hardware installed(nothing is listed under network adapters). Therefore I cannot connect to my modem via my ehternet cable. I guess the drivers didnt install when i did a system recovery from the recovery cd's? Or do I have to get the ethernet driver from somewhere else? But my original question is in regards to connecting my desktop to a wireless signal... I found a wireless signal from my neighbor that I use for my laptop and was wondering if I could connect to it from my desktop using a PCI wireless adapter or USB adapter and connecting a driver that comes with thoses? Thank you again. Steve

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

Hi, No your hard drive does not look like its "gone" You could buy some extra kit like a USB or a PCI network adapter, but before you do this have a look in Device Manager and see if you have any yellow or red markers (exclamation mark in yellow, or cross in red) against anything that is a network adapter...you should see a 1394 adapter mentioned but for the purposes of Internet connection you can forget about this one (its for a Firewire port)....Here's how to check out your Device Manager 1 Right click on My Computer 2 Click on properties 3 Click on Hardware 4 Click on Device Manager 5 Click on the + sign immediately to the left of Network Adaptors. Please report back what you find there in your next post and provide the make and model number of your computer, the make and model number of your router (and your modem) and one of us will get back to you with the next step. Please note that connecting wirelessly to a neighbours router is in some jurisdictions illegal or a breach of Internet Service Providers terms of supply, so do check that it is OK to do this in your jurisdiction. Can you confirm that you were able to connect to your router via both Ethernet cable and wirelessly prior to the use of the manufacturers recovery discs? Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#10 steve coraggio

steve coraggio

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

Paws - Thank you for the response... In my device manager there are no yellow or red markers.. When I open the + next to Network Adapters the only one listed is the 1394 Net Adapter.. nothing else. My desktop is a HP Pavillion 525c Desktop pc. Before the recovery disk installaion I was able to connect to the internet via a USB cord from my pc to the modem. After the install of the cd's I contacted my ISP becase i couldnt get a connection and they said they no longer support USB connections so I had to go get an ethernet cable from them to connect my pc to the modem. Obviosly that still doesnt work. Thanks again, Steve

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:03 AM

If you are connecting via a USB modem then you will need to install the drivers for the USB modem......(.you still haven;t told us the makes and model numbers!!) If you are connecting via Ethernet you will still need the drivers to be installed for your Ethernet card........otherwise you Ethercard card will not be "recognised by your machine.. Is there a problem in telling us the make model numbers of your modem, router, computer, etc? Its quite difficult to advise when we are "in the dark!" Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#12 steve coraggio

steve coraggio

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

Paws, Thanks for the response. Again - the model on the desktop is a HP Pavillion 525c. The modem is a webstar by scientific atlanta. model DPX2203 SERIES CABLE MODEM WITH EMTA. I dont have a router. thanks again, Steve

#13 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

Hi

Here's the instructions for your modem.
http://www.suzukitun...X2203_Guide.pdf

However you will need to install a NIC ( Network card) and if one is not already fitted to your machine then you can buy a PCI version at nominal cost and it should come with a driver disc and installation instructions.
There is no point ( at this stage ) in buying a wireless network card unless you have a router or Wireless Access Point to which it could connect.
Regards
paws

#14 steve coraggio

steve coraggio

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

I went out and bought a TrendNET Wireless N PCI adapter. Model TEW-623PI. Is that ok? I can get several wireless signals in my apt from my neighbors so i was thinking about installing the PCI adapter inside my desktop to pick up a signal.. that should work right? Thanks again Paws- Steve

#15 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

Please note that connecting wirelessly to a neighbours router is in some jurisdictions illegal or a breach of Internet Service Providers terms of supply, so do check that it is OK to do this in your jurisdiction.

If you have the necessary permissions then you can go ahead, otherwise its a complete NO NO!
Assuming the wireless signals are encrypted (which they should be) you will need the password/passphrase to connect
Good luck
regards
paws