Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How To Uninstall AVG 8.0 COMPLETELY

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dphenry

dphenry

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

OK, here's my tale of woe. As I was having serious issues with various virus contamination, I opted to dump my McAfee and replace it with AVG 8.0. Now I want to move on, but I cannot remove the AGV software. Is there a surefire way to remove it all? I would like to install Registry Mechanic Professional and I cannot install the anti-virus apps as long as AVG is installed. Help?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Micha'El

Micha'El

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

Actually, as long as the resident scanner (the live scanner) in avg isn't running, you *should* be able to install any antivirus you choose...

However AVG 8 can be troublesome, so here are two tools.

Kaspersky (to be used AFTER an uninstall of avg to clean up the registry)

The records of AVG8 in the system registry are identified by the Wizard as a fully installed and functioning anti-virus AVG8 although the product has already been uninstalled. As a result the Configuration Wizard asks to manually uninstall the incompatible software and interrupts the installation.

To resolve the situation you should do the following:

1 download the archive avg8.zip (below)
2 unpack all files from the archive avg8.zip into one folder
3 run the file KLeaner.exe
4 wait until the utility finishes its work
5 restart your PC

Information and download for Kaspersky's AVG removal tool can be found here

Grisoft's AVG remover (again, to be used AFTER an uninstall of avg to clean up the registry)

AVG Remover

AVG Remover utility removes all parts of AVG installation on your computer, including registry items, installation and user files on your disk, etc. AVG Remover is the least option to be used in case the AVG uninstallation / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

Warning:
All AVG user settings will be removed after the uninstallation, as well as the Virus Vault content and other item related to AVG installation and use. During the removal procedure you will be asked to restart your computer. Therefore please make sure to finish your work and to save all important data prior to AVG Remover launch.

Information and download for AVG Removal Utility can be found here.

Edited by Doug, 07 February 2009 - 09:31 PM.
Removed "direct download"

Slow computer?
How did this happen, I got a virus!!!
Are you about to post a HijackThis log?
Before you use any tools
Do you run Firefox?? You may wish to get the WOT, NoScript and Flashblock addons.

#3 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

What do you mean you can't uninstall it? Just saying you can't remove it doesn't give us much to go on. I'm guessing you meant that the AVG uninstaller worked but that when you try to install another anti-virus it says that you already have one? If so, try going to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data and deleting any Grisoft or AVG folders. I know that when I tried to uninstall 7 and go to 8 I had problems with remnants in the Application Data area.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield