Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Where did Internet Connection Internet Gateway come from

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

I just noticed in my Network Connections, listed under Internet Gateway is something called Internet Connection Internet Gateway. I don't know when it appeared or how it got there as I did not knowingly install it. Disabling it disables my connection to the internet. It is not on my other desktop system or my laptop.

[attachment=2033:InternetGateway.gif]

I got rid of it by:

ControlPanel->Add/Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components->Networking Services->Details and unchecked Internet Gateway ( from a post here: http://www.softwaret...onnection.html).

My question is, where did it come from, how did it get there. I read quite a few posts on it and it sometimes seems to be related to using ICS, which I do not use. I'm wondering if it has something to do with using CrossLoop or VNC for remote control of a computer? Anyone know anything about this?

After I uninstalled it and rebooted, my computer works fine so it is not required to connect to the internet. I sure would like to know where this thing came from :pullhair:

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 silverphoenix

silverphoenix

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

hello Ztruker.

am not an expert and this might not be as helpful as you need but i once encountered this issue. didn't really care that much. but as what i read it's an embedded windows feature to manage network devices. it says by default it's activated and that there's an "internet connection icon" in the network connection. if it wasn't there. sorry i'm out of idea how it got turned on.

internet gateway

Internet Gateway Device Discovery - as stated

By default, the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client is installed, whereas UPnP is not. In this default configuration, an Internet Connection icon appears in the Network Connections folder, and a Broadband Router icon does not appear in the My Network Places folder

best of luck
~silverphoenix~

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:DVD Burning<br />Hardware<br />Malware

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:49 PM

If you guys ever get this figured out, I would like to know who uses firewire for the internet It's amazng we can connect at all with this mess from Microsoft and Vista seems to give even more trouble than XP ever did.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

I just found Internet Gateway Internet Connection on my Laptop as well. Deleted it via Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components. Neither computer had this the last time I checked Internet Connections. What the heck is putting it there? It is not on my Web Server running XP Pro. I wonder if this is somehow tied into Windows Updates which I do regularly on my Laptop and Desktop systems but never on my Web Server, since it's rock solid and as stable as XP is ever likely to get.

Rich

#5 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

...After I uninstalled it and rebooted, my computer works fine so it is not required to connect to the internet. I sure would like to know where this thing came from :pullhair:

I see this a LOT of times on pre-built systems. The MFR has something that is running the Application Layer Gateway service (ALG.) Even if you set it to the default 'manual' you'll likely see it running when you boot. [you probably won't NOW though ! lol ]

they do the Telephony service too....

Tallon41

Edited by Tallon41, 06 October 2008 - 02:25 PM.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

ALGS is running on all 3 of my computers, but none of them (now) have the Internet Gateway connection in Internet Connections, so it doesn't appear to be directly related to that service.

I checked with Black Viper on this:

Application Layer Gateway Service
Default Description:

Provides support for 3rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall.
Additional Information:

Before the installation of Service Pack 2 or 3, this service was required for use with the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service. After the installation of Service Pack 2 or 3, it no longer is required.

So it looks like I can disable that service without any harm to my computers. Guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Rich

#7 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

if the "Internet Gateway Device Discovery..." and " UPnP user interface " are installed [windows components (add or removed programs)] then you should see it. Tallon41

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

There is no "Internet Gateway Device Discovery" service listed in Services, but per my first post, I uninstalled it via Add/Remove Programs. UPnP is set to Manual and has not started yet.

Rich

#9 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

There is no "Internet Gateway Device Discovery" service listed in Services, but per my first post, I uninstalled it via Add/Remove Programs. UPnP is set to Manual and has not started yet.

Right I got that....I'm just saying that those two "windows components" are needed to see the Internet Gateway Icon you mentioned.

You uninstalled the one, so you no longer see the icon.

#10 Artellos

Artellos

Visting Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:37 AM

Hey Ztrucker,

Maybe this article is interesting for you:
http://www.microsoft...ydevicespr.mspx

Regards,
Olrik

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead so others might benefit too.
Please be courteous, polite, and say thank you. Being rude brings you nowhere.
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!

Have I helped you and do you want to leave a kind message,
Please sign my guestbook here

#11 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Orlik. Interesting article but it still doesn't tell me what changed on my two systems that do regular updates to turn it on. It had to be one of the updates as that is the only thing I can think of that is common between the systems.

Rich

#12 Artellos

Artellos

Visting Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

I believe that Windows Updates has installed it on your system. It is a Microsoft thing after all :) Regards, Olrik

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead so others might benefit too.
Please be courteous, polite, and say thank you. Being rude brings you nowhere.
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!

Have I helped you and do you want to leave a kind message,
Please sign my guestbook here