Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

A community of volunteers who share their knowledge, and answer your tech questions. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Unajustable resolution in Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drragostea

drragostea

Authentic Member

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Kick malware butt.

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

After using Ubuntu to recover my documents, I began using it and transferring some of the files to a external hard drive. I found the option "Screen Resolution" and I thought I might have a look. The resolution was set around (roughly estimated) 1100*800 (I'm not in Ubuntu, so it's around there), so I decided to change it to a higher resolution such as 1280x1024. The problem was the once I changed it, the screen flickered and a quarter (you can say the perimeter almost) of the desktop was static. I've attempted to set it back to the original resolution, around 1100x800, except it made it worse. The desktop was not fullscreen as it was before and expect it "shrunk". What I'm left with is a 720x480 (around there) resolution. I cannot click 'Apply' and I have to use Tab to move around the options. Switching desktops does not work either. :wacko:

#2 wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hello drragostea What version are you using? I might not be the best person to answer your question but what I would advise is to download the latest driver for your graphics card and install this. This will need to be installed via the command line. Regards

#3 jpshortstuff

jpshortstuff

Resigned Teacher / Malware Remover

• Malware Team
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:30 AM

Can you get to a terminal?

If you type xrandr at the prompt, you will see a list of supported resolutions. You can then select these options either by index:
xrandr -s X (where X is the index in the list of available screen resolutions, 0 being the first in the list)
Or manually:
xrandr -s WIDTHxHEIGHT (where WIDTH and HEIGHT are your desired sizes).

Try something like 1280x800 for a starter and then see if you can work from there.

Hope that helps.