Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Unable to open any microsoft related websites

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:53 PM

I am unable to open several websites, most related to microsft in some way and I am getting slow response from others but not all. I cannot go directly to any Microsoft website at all. I did a system scan with Super AntiSpyware 4.15.1000 and it only saw two spyware files and it quaritined them. After rebooting I still had the same problem. Some sites open fine and others not at all. I am not sure even where to start on this. I have my firewall up and am not running any virus protetion and have been running this way for 2 years without any issues. Anyone have any ideas? I attatched my HijackThis log file.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

Need more info first. 1. What's your OS? 2. How much disk space do you have and how much RAM do you have? 3. What browser do you use? 4. What type of internet connection do you have? (Dialup, DSL, etc.) And how do you connect to it? (Modem, Wireless, Wireless Router). Also if you use FF then the Microsoft Website sometimes gives you an error saying you have to use IE to access it, try using IE and see if you get the same error or if it starts working.
The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#3 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

1. What's your OS? Microsoft XP

2. How much disk space do you have and how much RAM do you have?I have 10 GB free out of a total of 52.7 GB on my C drive. I have 4 GB of ram

3. What browser do you use? IE 7

4. What type of internet connection do you have? (Dialup, DSL, etc.) And how do you connect to it? (Modem, Wireless, Wireless Router). I have a cable modem (Motorola) connection to the internet and am running through a Linksys Wireless G router (not using the wirelsss, I'm connected directly by a CAT V cable) to my Dell Demension 3100 PC.

#4 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:41 PM

Can you describe what you mean by "unable to open several websites". Such as what exactly happens. Does the page just load forever, or do you eventually get a error, if so describe the error.

Also I highly suggest you get some kind of virus protection program. AVG Free Edition 8 just came out and it's pretty good. Check it out here:
http://www.grisoft.c...us-free-edition

Also, you can try getting FireFox, another web browser which is faster/safer than IE and may give you access to those sites without those errors (except for the Microsoft website, they are stupid in forcing you to use IE). FF will not fix your IE problem but may provide an alternate way to get to them.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Edited by Vectris, 12 August 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#5 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

Sorry I should have added that I do get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message once the browser quits trying to load the page. I get this when trying to connect to any Microsoft website.

I surf a lot of news pages and the problem I am getting now is that some images display and others never display. Drudge Report for example will display all the links and listings of news articles, some images load and others never load. I just get the standard placeholder with an x in the uppper left corner. CNN.com takes forever to load if I have cleared my cache while News.Google.com loads up normally with no delay. I even loaded up Everquest to see if it would act normally but once it lets you log in it says it cannot connect to any of the game servers. I also used my command prompt on some of the same sites to see if I can ping them and they either respond normally or time out completely. I'm wondering if this is a malware isssue?

I also forgot to mention I ran an AdAware 2008 scan without getting any difffernet results.

Edited by Barneswd, 12 August 2008 - 04:04 PM.

#6 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

One last thing I also went back to a restore point, August 1, and had the same results. This all started happening this morning.

#7 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

In IE 7 go to Tools > Internet Options and go to the Advanced Tab. Scroll down a bit until you see the title Multimedia. Underneath tell me if "Show Pictures" is checked, if not, check it. Also try checking "Show image placeholders".

#8 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:16 PM

Yes the "Show Pictures" option is checked.

#9 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

Go back to Tools > Internet Options and stay on the General Tab. Click on Settings under Browsing History. Tell me how much disk space IE is allowing your cache to use, it's the number with the up and down arrows (they allow you to increase/decrease the amount).

Also, are the same images at CNN always just a red X, or is it random images every time that don't load. And have you ever had an occasion where they all loaded?

And here's a Microsoft link, just to confirm the problem click it and tell me if you just get the error again.
http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx
Also try this one
http://www.microsoft...11/default.aspx

Also (if you still get the error) I'm guessing it has something do with the fact that Microsoft uses some kind of add-on or something on there website, the url never changes even as you click on links, the .aspx must be some kind of program that executes once you get to the Microsoft Website, and you simply navigate through the program as you would a site, meanwhile the URL stays the same cause you never go off the page holding the program. I'll do some research on ".aspx"s and see if you need a plug-in for them or something like that.

EDIT: Also try going to Tools > Internet Options and going to the Advanced Tab. Scroll down to security and tell me what setting your phishing filter was on. Disable it by choosing "Disable Phishing Filter" and then pressing ok, then try my microsoft links again.

Edited by Vectris, 12 August 2008 - 04:56 PM.

#10 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

It's set on 50 right now.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

Hi,
I have taken a quick glance at your HJT log and there is evidence of undesirable and malicious elements being present.
My recommendation is that:

1 you disconnect this machine from the Internet immediately (Physically break the connection)

2 You visit the malware removal forum and post a full HJT log (copy and paste it do not "attach it")

3 You use another machine to actually post your log.

Here's a link for information.
http://forums.whatth...ers_t34502.html (How to download HJT and where to post it)
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#12 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the help. I posted my HJT file in the forum you suggested.

#13 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:31 AM

:thumbup:
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#14 Barneswd

Barneswd

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:26 AM

Well I'm back...

Tomk was a huge help in getting my system cleaned from any possible malware issues but that did not resolve my original problem. I still cannot go to several websites. Almost all of them are the sites I need to go to in order to do any helpful patching or downloading of anti-virus software.

Here is a link to what Tomk did for me and all the HJT

Unable to open Microsoft and related websites

I hope someone can still help me! :)

#15 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

If you can answer these questions from my previous post I can see if I can find more help.

Also, are the same images at CNN always just a red X, or is it random images every time that don't load. And have you ever had an occasion where they all loaded?

And here's a Microsoft link, just to confirm the problem click it and tell me if you just get the error again.
http://www.microsoft...us/default.aspx
Also try this one
http://www.microsoft...11/default.aspx

Also (if you still get the error) I'm guessing it has something do with the fact that Microsoft uses some kind of add-on or something on there website, the url never changes even as you click on links, the .aspx must be some kind of program that executes once you get to the Microsoft Website, and you simply navigate through the program as you would a site, meanwhile the URL stays the same cause you never go off the page holding the program. I'll do some research on ".aspx"s and see if you need a plug-in for them or something like that.

EDIT: Also try going to Tools > Internet Options and going to the Advanced Tab. Scroll down to security and tell me what setting your phishing filter was on. Disable it by choosing "Disable Phishing Filter" and then pressing ok, then try my microsoft links again.

Try the fix in my EDIT.